ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
GoPro 3 1080p + Harry Lap Timer

Up to now I used to record my videos with my iPhone. This allowed me to overlay acquisitions data, edit and upload the film all directly from my phone which was very convenient. However I picked up a GoPro 3 not too long ago so tried synchronizing the external video and acquisition data and I'm pretty happy with the result. There's obviously few extra steps involved but I think it's worth it.

The only issue which I haven't figured out so far is there is a time delay between what you see on the lower left corner of the video vs. the timer on my phone in the car. The developer says it it has to do with the fact the video catches the "real time" view of the driver - which is always behind reality by approximately 1.5 seconds. I think I can add a 1.5 sec delay in the sensors and the next video should be fully in sync.

Here's the vid, I'll try 60fps next time:

Same event/track last year, but recorded with iPhone in 720p (front facing camera):

Last edited by 3002 tii; 12-02-2013 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
avsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Awesome video!

Do you use the stock seat belts with those seats? Or do you have a harness bar? and what do you think compared to stock?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsbmw View Post
Awesome video!

Do you use the stock seat belts with those seats? Or do you have a harness bar? and what do you think compared to stock?
I use the stock belts and route them through the side hole so they don't go over the bolsters. I know I'm in the minority but I personally could not stand the factory M seats. I thought they offered no lumbar support whatsoever and the side bolsters didn't really hold you very tight. I would usually wedge something between my lower back and seat on the way home after a weekend at the track because my back hurt so much. It even got to a point where I would strap a lower back support while driving at track. Not to mention my left knee would get sore from pushing against the door cards.

The Recaro or any bucket seat for that matter is a huge upgrade for performance driving. They keep me in place and I can focus on driving, not staying put. I'm currently shopping around this winter for 4 point cages so hopefully I can run a 6 point harness next spring.
      11-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
avsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
I use the stock belts and route them through the side hole so they don't go over the bolsters. I know I'm in the minority but I personally could not stand the factory M seats. I thought they offered no lumbar support whatsoever and the side bolsters didn't really hold you very tight. I would usually wedge something between my lower back and seat on the way home after a weekend at the track because my back hurt so much. It even got to a point where I would strap a lower back support while driving at track. Not to mention my left knee would get sore from pushing against the door cards.

The Recaro or any bucket seat for that matter is a huge upgrade for performance driving. They keep me in place and I can focus on driving, not staying put. I'm currently shopping around this winter for 4 point cages so hopefully I can run a 6 point harness next spring.
I don't mind the stock seats for everyday use. However, at the track you do slide around a lot. I think I will pick up a pair of Recaros soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

I missed this thread.

Awesome video overlay. I'm very jelly.

What software did you use to overlay the data? I need to do some research and see if trackmaster can do comparable data for Android.

BTW you using medium angle?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I missed this thread.

Awesome video overlay. I'm very jelly.

What software did you use to overlay the data? I need to do some research and see if trackmaster can do comparable data for Android.

BTW you using medium angle?
Don't recall if it was medium or narrow but definitely not wide. I use HLT on the iPhone
      12-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Don't recall if it was medium or narrow but definitely not wide. I use HLT on the iPhone
Sorry I guess I didn't ask it correctly.

What post-editing software did you use to integrate the Data from HLT onto the Gopro Video?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry I guess I didn't ask it correctly.

What post-editing software did you use to integrate the Data from HLT onto the Gopro Video?
HLT itself does the integration. HLT iPhone software allows you to both log acquisition data and record video from your phone, so they built in the functionality to overlay data onto your video. If you opt to record with a external camera, you can still use HLT software to overlay. It just requires another in-between step which is to transfer the video from camera -> pc itunes -> iPhone photo library. HLT will then access the video from your photo library and you can overlay.

If the external camera you used is a non-GoPro, the overlay process is a little tedious as you need to figure out the exact time the lap and video line up. If you use a GoPro that has wifi functionality, then HLT will speak to the GoPro real time and save the file name and time associated with the video clip to each lap so later when you transfer the video to your phone, the information is already 'sycned' and overlaying is easy as pressing the overlay button.

The only video editing I really had to do was to put all my laps into a single video as HLT doesn't allow you to overlay an entire session, rather lap by lap. For that I transferred each video lap back to my computer and used Apple's iMovie. In the past I used Windows Moviemaker but that was a painfully long process as it has to convert the raw video into a WMM compatible file first, and then resave as mp4. With iMovie, you can edit the file directly.

Sorry if this wasn't clear, I'm not the most technical when it comes to video editing but check out the links on the bottom of this page:

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

http://www.gps-laptimer.com/LapTimer...%20Chapter.pdf
      12-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
HLT itself does the integration. HLT iPhone software allows you to both log acquisition data and record video from your phone, so they built in the functionality to overlay data onto your video. If you opt to record with a external camera, you can still use HLT software to overlay. It just requires another in-between step which is to transfer the video from camera -> pc itunes -> iPhone photo library. HLT will then access the video from your photo library and you can overlay.

If the external camera you used is a non-GoPro, the overlay process is a little tedious as you need to figure out the exact time the lap and video line up. If you use a GoPro that has wifi functionality, then HLT will speak to the GoPro real time and save the file name and time associated with the video clip to each lap so later when you transfer the video to your phone, the information is already 'sycned' and overlaying is easy as pressing the overlay button.

The only video editing I really had to do was to put all my laps into a single video as HLT doesn't allow you to overlay an entire session, rather lap by lap. For that I transferred each video lap back to my computer and used Apple's iMovie. In the past I used Windows Moviemaker but that was a painfully long process as it has to convert the raw video into a WMM compatible file first, and then resave as mp4. With iMovie, you can edit the file directly.

Sorry if this wasn't clear, I'm not the most technical when it comes to video editing but check out the links on the bottom of this page:

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

http://www.gps-laptimer.com/LapTimer...%20Chapter.pdf
Makes sense now.

I thought you were taking raw data, obtained by HLT and merging them together manually via RaceRender, or a similar product. Did't know HLT has evolved that much to where it can talk to GoPro that easily
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Makes sense now.

I thought you were taking raw data, obtained by HLT and merging them together manually via RaceRender, or a similar product. Did't know HLT has evolved that much to where it can talk to GoPro that easily
Also even if you had an older gopro or regular non-wifi camera, the overlaying would still be done via HLT, you just have to specify the exact frame/time. Basically saying everything is done on HLT, but having a GoPro 3 or recording with iPhone/iTouch will make your life easier. You can even do PiP with multiple cameras work HLT.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Not to mention my left knee would get sore from pushing against the door cards.
THIS kills me too.

Yea as always those videos are awesome. Takes me right back to HPDE at NJMP except you are a far better driver. Now just need to try Thunderbolt.
      12-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Also even if you had an older gopro or regular non-wifi camera, the overlaying would still be done via HLT, you just have to specify the exact frame/time. Basically saying everything is done on HLT, but having a GoPro 3 or recording with iPhone/iTouch will make your life easier. You can even do PiP with multiple cameras work HLT.
Yea, I got a Hero2. I just need to find an android app that will work.

You should use an external mic
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea, I got a Hero2. I just need to find an android app that will work.

You should use an external mic
HLT for droid?