ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Who's Faster than a Redneck?

So which Z4 owners are going to step up to the plate? I've recorded the first episode, have yet to see but the promos looked hilarious. And from what I've read, they genuinely look for legit drivers with the cars to match. I think this will be the answer for Top Gear USA *yawn*...

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/r-u-...han-a-redneck/

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...NEWS/130229888

http://www.skirtsandscuffs.com/2013/...n-redneck.html

Edit
Yesterday's episode... a lot better than previous ones

Last edited by 3002 tii; 03-19-2013 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I'd be scared one of those guys would run into my car. No way! When he drops the schtick a little Jon Reep can be pretty funny. I may have to give this show a watch.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

This looks ridiculous but anything is better than American Top Gear. Should be right up there with My Ride Rules and Racing for Pinks etc. I'll stick with British Top Gear.
      02-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
This looks ridiculous but anything is better than American Top Gear. Should be right up there with My Ride Rules and Racing for Pinks etc. I'll stick with British Top Gear.
I've been a big fan of the UK Top Gear for a long time, but I have to say that their persistent crapping on the E85 / E86 really pisses me off. I picked up their print magazine the other day at a local shop and flipped to the back where they rate the cars. For the Z4, their comments were luke warm and said that you would be much better off with a Boxster.

I enjoy their on-screen antics, but if I ever met Clarkson face to face, I'd probably want to tell him that he's an effing arse.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My Ride Rules is unwatchable. Racing for pinks is marginally better but still in the unwatchable category. Top Gear UK is best hands down but even then the script gets really predictable. Just looking for something new, hopefully this does the trick.
      02-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
My Ride Rules is unwatchable. Racing for pinks is marginally better but still in the unwatchable category. Top Gear UK is best hands down but even then the script gets really predictable. Just looking for something new, hopefully this does the trick.
Anyone seen the Top Gear UK Season 16 India Special? There are a couple of laugh out loud til your gut hurts moments in that one.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Anyone seen the Top Gear UK Season 16 India Special? There are a couple of laugh out loud til your gut hurts moments in that one.
Oh yeah. It was actually Series 17 Episode 7. It was fantastic. Even my wife who is not too into the whole franchise loved the special. The "lunch delivery" race was priceless. I still don't think they've topped the Iraq special with the Stig playing the "Bebee Jeeesus."
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Sorry. I didn't mean to be so negative. I'm just completely over all the overdramatized "reality" tv that is the norm now. I miss stuff like the History Channel and Discovery Channel ten years ago. This show will probably be entertaining but my guess is that it'll be two match ups per episode and you'll see the same handful of shots about ten different times. Then in the last 30 seconds they'll reveal the winner and it won't be much of a surprise.
      02-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

^ Nailed it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry. I didn't mean to be so negative. I'm just completely over all the overdramatized "reality" tv that is the norm now. I miss stuff like the History Channel and Discovery Channel ten years ago. This show will probably be entertaining but my guess is that it'll be two match ups per episode and you'll see the same handful of shots about ten different times. Then in the last 30 seconds they'll reveal the winner and it won't be much of a surprise.
No offense taken. I miss my Modern Marvels too but it seems like all History channel shows is Pawn Stars. I'm hoping this is something mildly entertaining w/o being as bad as the other shows you mentioned. The reason it first caught my eye however is because one of the episodes features a National SE30 champion.
      02-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I only watch real racing, i.e., F1, ALMS, Grand-Am, DTM, etc., and live and in person whenever possible! Any "racing" that has a script is a waste of time.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

So I finally had some free time to sit down and watch the first two episodes of this show...

My advice...don't waste your time. The "rednecks" must have been told to act extra "redneck" cause it's to the point where it's annoying, and there isn't much actual racing time. The first round of knockouts is a one lap 5 turn course, and then it goes to a 3 lap on the same course, and then the final is on the same course for 3 laps.

There are some decent drivers on the redneck team and a few that have no idea what they are doing. The cars on the redneck team are freaking awesome and put down a lot of power, and when in the right drivers hands, definitely do well on the track.

The "import" drivers range from people who seem to have some track experience to next to none. One guy who claimed to have several years of track experience was drifting his WRX out of turns, which wasn't helping him catch up to the high HP car on the straights...

Anyways, I'd probably watch the one where the Camaro side swipes the M3, just to see the funny scripted drama, but after that no more time wasted...

Oh well, good try though! Back to trying to find professional racing on TV...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

They put an E36M against a B302 and the rednecks were creaming their pants because the B302 pulled on the straights.

Yea, no thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Exactly what i was talking about, the Boss 302 is a pretty bad ass car to begin with, when I saw that match up I was like, no way that E36 is going to win unless the skill difference between drivers is that unbalanced...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
So I finally had some free time to sit down and watch the first two episodes of this show...

My advice...don't waste your time. The "rednecks" must have been told to act extra "redneck" cause it's to the point where it's annoying, and there isn't much actual racing time. The first round of knockouts is a one lap 5 turn course, and then it goes to a 3 lap on the same course, and then the final is on the same course for 3 laps.

There are some decent drivers on the redneck team and a few that have no idea what they are doing. The cars on the redneck team are freaking awesome and put down a lot of power, and when in the right drivers hands, definitely do well on the track.

The "import" drivers range from people who seem to have some track experience to next to none. One guy who claimed to have several years of track experience was drifting his WRX out of turns, which wasn't helping him catch up to the high HP car on the straights...

Anyways, I'd probably watch the one where the Camaro side swipes the M3, just to see the funny scripted drama, but after that no more time wasted...

Oh well, good try though! Back to trying to find professional racing on TV...
Agreed, the redneck drama is a bit too much, wish they had more driving footage and used the WHOLE track. And the American muscle cars are pretty awesome, but the fact they pin an E36 M3 vs a 302 is ridiculous. Not to mention some of those cars aren't even street legal. If street rubbers are a must, the cars should also be street legal and competition be based on some power/weight ratio. I believe next week is when a spec e30 champ participates, although I'm sure they'll put some ridiculous car against him as well.
      02-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

Do none of you watch Fifth Gear? The reviews are done by people that are actually good at driving and there is none of that "reality"/Top Gear scripted bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #17
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
do they still make 5th gear? I used to watch that back when i lived in the UK growing up. Tiff Needell used to present after he left topgear. IIRC he used to race professionally before switching to broadcasting

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #18
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point0 View Post
do they still make 5th gear? I used to watch that back when i lived in the UK growing up. Tiff Needell used to present after he left topgear. IIRC he used to race professionally before switching to broadcasting
Its a much better car show, although I've only seen it on YouTube. Tiff was a pro driver as I recall, as was Jason Plato who is also on the show. I particularly enjoy the good-natured teasing on the show between these two guys. Despite that, the focus seems to be on good car content first with entertainment thrown in, whereas on Top Gear, its the other way round.

Can you get 5th Gear on DVD? I'd love to pick it up if it is

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #19
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
I get Fifth Gear on Verizon Fios. I actually find the show a little boring. Tiff's review of best racing games and simulators put me to sleep. I only care for Vicki :P
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #20
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
I get Fifth Gear on Verizon Fios. I actually find the show a little boring. Tiff's review of best racing games and simulators put me to sleep. I only care for Vicki :P
I've only hunted up their segments where they look at the E85 / E86 Z4 and compare it to the Boxster, Nissan 350Z or the Audi TT. I've enjoyed those. There is one more where Tiff demonstrates how to drift and do some other stunts. "Don't try this at home" LOL!

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #21
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

For Top Gear, Fifth Gear and Top Gear America info, www.finalgear.com is the place to start.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #22
mickfo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Yeah the show is a total joke...good if you want to laugh at some people for a little bit but thats about it.

As for Top Gear, if you haven't seen it already, the first show of the new season (I think they are at 19?) includes a segment called the P45 where Clarkson is showing off the smallest car for the road. It is definitely the funniest thing I have seen in a while. I love when he uses the windshield wipers, hah.

Here's a clip in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAptCdalzug