ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
q0192837465
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Getting a Z4M in a week, need expert advice (PS: I did search)

Like the title says, I'm planning on picking up a 06 Z4M in a week or two (verts r always cheaper in winter). What should I be on a look out for when I do an pre-purchase inspection? I did a quick search and found out a few common problems including engine mount bolts and over-revving issues. Are there anything else I should take not?

Also, I don't know how to drive manual as of now but will do a quick crash course before making the purchase. Is this a particular hard car to drive? It is going to be my daily driver. I know gas mileage is not the best but I'm doing 90% highway so it should be ok.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

its not the easiest car to drive stick smoothly, but you'll learn if you're patient

also check to make sure the top works fine
      01-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
Samjam927
The One And Only
Rep
Drives: 2006 TiAg ///M Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4M Roadster  [10.00]
2003 Z4  [5.00]
stick in a Z4M isnt hard, i learned stick on mine, just gotta clear ur head that was my problem when learning, pics after u get it and +1 on checking the top
      01-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
vasaline
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

Its actually a difficult car to learn on as the shifter is noticeably notchier than other gearboxes. It will take some time but just be patient. I had mine for a year and I'm still not perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:24 AM   #5
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I'd agree that it's not hard to learn, but it's a very difficult car to perfect. It's built for high RPM. Anything less and you are at its mercy. I swear almost every time I drive it, both in pleasure and humiliation (F&%*ING CDV!!!!). I'm finally getting rid of it next month.

Check: panel gaps, paint smoothness within the panel gaps, VANOS rattles, maintenance records (oil changed at least every 7500 miles vice 15000 miles with the dealer plan), and all of the other hundred threads that people have started on this forum. Just scroll through the general section. Good luck, and hopefully you'll find what you're looking for!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Here are my tips for new stick drivers.
  1. Go to a parking lot somewhere and practice.
  2. Try starting the car in first gear by engaging the clutch - but without using the gas at all.
  3. Once you have mastered that, move on to doing that while gently squeezing the gas pedal.
  4. When you shift from 1 to 2 etc, put the clutch all the way to the floor. Keep it there until you have shifted gears.
  5. If you are not shifting - take your foot completely off the clutch.
  6. Unless the car is almost stopped - NEVER downshift into 1st gear! The gear is just for very low speeds.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
Like the title says, I'm planning on picking up a 06 Z4M in a week or two (verts r always cheaper in winter). What should I be on a look out for when I do an pre-purchase inspection? I did a quick search and found out a few common problems including engine mount bolts and over-revving issues. Are there anything else I should take not?

Also, I don't know how to drive manual as of now but will do a quick crash course before making the purchase. Is this a particular hard car to drive? It is going to be my daily driver. I know gas mileage is not the best but I'm doing 90% highway so it should be ok.

TIA
What is the over-revving issue?

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakib View Post
What is the over-revving issue?
Its not an "issue" so much as a "look-out-for".

BMW ecus keep a record of over-revs, that the dealer can use to deny warranty work on the engine and transmission. Over-revs happen when you downshift to a low gear at high speed, and therefore cause the engine to go above the rev limiter.

You can ask any dealer to look at the over-rev count in a pre-purchase inspection.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Do yourself a favor and replace/remove the CDV, ASAP. If you are learning to drive a stick, the CDV will only make you frustrated.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

I've been driving stick for close to 10 years now in numerous different vehicles. The Z4 has definitely been the hardest to learn although it is also the most precise. Once you get the hang of it you will love it. I've realized it really wants to be shifted at 4k rpm and above. Anything less and it's not as smooth. Shift hard and fast. Mine has the CDV and I have no desire to get rid of it. I have no issue with the shifting in this car.

Also, this car is very easy to get going from a complete stop. It requires hardly any gas at all which means minimal clutch wear. Love it!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
like others said, it won't be hard. just don't try to be vin diesel and take your time on the shifts (ie not talking bout burning the clutch but don't punch each gear). shifting slowly will help you figure out the timing and pedal travel.

look up the cdv mod, that'll help with your 1st to 2nd shifts. i also purchased the uuc trans mounts which made the shifts less sloppy but that's really not necessary. plus bmw brake assist makes rollbacks a non-issue. if anything, after driving this for so long, when i drove my friend's non-bimmer, i got caught off guard when i was on a steep snow covered hill.
      01-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I def dont think the z4m is an easy car to learn stick on. The clutch is stiff and the gearbox is very notchy and requires some muscle.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I def dont think the z4m is an easy car to learn stick on. The clutch is stiff and the gearbox is very notchy and requires some muscle.
I learned stick on a 1989 VW Golf Wolfsburg; I found the shifter on that car to be very notchy and a bitch to shift from First to Second gear. But, I managed to get comfortable in a few weeks.

Can anyone comment on the notchiness of that car's shifter compared to the Z4M? I mean, if I could learn stick on a notchy VW shifter, it ought to be do-able for a guy with a Z4M. Yes?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
plus bmw brake assist makes rollbacks a non-issue. if anything, after driving this for so long, when i drove my friend's non-bimmer, i got caught off guard when i was on a steep snow covered hill.
LOL so that's why my car doesn't roll backwards when i have the clutch depressed and i let off the brakes on a hill!!!!!!! good to know!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I don't think it will be too hard to drive but just remember it probably won't be very smooth! Make sure you do NOT use the Sport button for a while until you get used to it because you'll be making clunky shifts. I have been driving stick since I learned how to drive and I still can't shift extremely smooth in the M especially in Sport mode.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
z4mcoupe
boon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

If you're a dog person, learning on the Z4M might not be the best choice. Many a time, my puppy had to eat his own carsickness. He made it known when he's home by the trail of what looks like chocolate fudge on the floor.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Make sure you do NOT use the Sport button for a while until you get used to it because you'll be making clunky shifts. I have been driving stick since I learned how to drive and I still can't shift extremely smooth in the M especially in Sport mode.
I never use sport mode for this reason. The throttle becomes so sensitive its almost obnoxious. One tap on the gas and the revs shoot up.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #18
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I never use sport mode for this reason. The throttle becomes so sensitive its almost obnoxious. One tap on the gas and the revs shoot up.
interestingly enough, i find sport button makes the first to 2nd shift easier haha
      01-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #19
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
I didn't like using the sport button around town either. On the open road though it is a good thing.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #20
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

I've been driving a manual for a long time, and even though I've done the CDV delete mod and feel like it was one of the best mods I've done for the M, I don't recommend doing this mod until you are a more experienced manual driver.

The whole reason (it seems) that BMW added the CDV in the first place is to help the average, and especially the inexperienced, manual driver drive manual shift BMWs. As well as, prolong the life of the clutch by not allowing it to be mistreated. The CDV will delay the release of the clutch and make sure it is released at a constant and smooth rate. This is exactly what you want when you first start out learning to drive a manual.

So my recommendation is keep the CDV in place (and I'd almost go as far to say add it back in if it was removed and you have the spare part lying around). Then when you become more comfortable with the car and shifting in general, then remove the CDV. This may be 6 months down the road or maybe just a few weeks. It all depends on how you feel.

My second recommendation is don't use sport mode. Just don't use it at all in first gear. Only turn it on when you are in 2nd gear or higher. Sport mode makes the throttle way more sensitive than necessary for 1st gear starts.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #21
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Pretty sure we have the same trans as you. The M3 got a better one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I learned stick on a 1989 VW Golf Wolfsburg; I found the shifter on that car to be very notchy and a bitch to shift from First to Second gear. But, I managed to get comfortable in a few weeks.

Can anyone comment on the notchiness of that car's shifter compared to the Z4M? I mean, if I could learn stick on a notchy VW shifter, it ought to be do-able for a guy with a Z4M. Yes?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #22
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Some of you learned to drive stick on your new Z4s? I learned to drive stick on my dad's front loader and fork lift. Since the POS didn't have working brakes the only way to stop was to lower the bucket and drag yourself to a stop.

Seriously though I think the secret to learning stick is letting the clutch out slowly at engagement point. When I took a driving class at Spring Mountain they had us letting the clutch out using NO gas. The car would idle away slowly. We had to do that faster and faster until we learned the car (and any car).
Appreciate 0