ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #45
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinsf View Post
All other things aside... I've tried to like the 1, but I think it's not a very attractive looking car.
At least I'm not the only one that thinks that the 1M is "aesthetically challenged".

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #46
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
I think the 1M is a cute woman's car. Sorry thats all I see driving the 1 series around here. Looks are average on the 1M. Would I own one, nope. Just not my type of car as far as looks and I already have an M3 and Z4M so my next vehicle will be a truck!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #47
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
This is more my idea of what the 1M should be - V8 power, though 3.4 liter Judd rather than 4.0 liter BMW, and a bit more aggressive styling.

Racecar Engineering has a good feature article on the car this month, though nothing I could find on their website yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #48
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

Spotted my first black 1M last night. Had a little play on the road. Nice looking car.

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #49
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Solid assumptions based on known facts and hands-on experience. (No, I have not driven the 1M, but I have what should make for a good set of transferrable observations.)

The 1M uses the same suspension parts as the E9x M3 (past car). I've driven the 135 extensively, and owned a 335 at one point. The 135 and 335 are similar in terms of ride quality. The 135 is a bit "choppier" and a bit lower in terms of comfort, but the 135 feels a bit easier to manuever given it's slightly smaller size.

The M3/335 "feel" should give a good sense of what the 1M "feels" like compared to the 135 given that the 135/M1 use the same chassis/body but with typical M reinforcements, and given that the M3/1M use the same upgraded suspension bits. In other words, the 1M should be somewhat similar to the M3 in terms of ride comfort/harshness, with the 135/335 differences as already noted above.

If I then compare my experience with the 135/335/M3 to the Z4M I come to my conclusion which amounts to nothing more than a the Z4M having a "somewhat harsher ride" in comparison to the 1M. Whew, that's a long-winded explanation for a small conclusion about "ride".

RE: "feel", the elusive thing about "feel" is how the car makes the driver feel. Does the car inspire the driver, thrill the driver, put a smile on the driver's face? That's the "feel" I was referring to, not how the car feels (ride, handling, etc.) Sure, those things might contribute to what the driver feels, but it's the interaction between the car/driver that creates a connection (or doesn't). Each of use have to make that call, as what floats one person's boat doesn't do it for another. Some of us love the way the Z4M make us feel. Others don't find the car doing much for them.

As for the engine dynamics, N54/N55 have great low end torque and do tend to overheat when pushed hard repeatedly. I've seen this at the track first hand and discussed it at length several guys who bring their 335s to the track. The 1M may have found a way around this, but I think it's a tough nut to crack with the I6 configuration, engine bay size/design, and cooling demands of a turbo engine that's run hard.
Sorry I completely disagree when I owned an e36 I used to think this way but the fact is when it comes to M cars the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. You just can't compare a 1m to a 135 or m3 because they share parts between each other, the combination of parts from each model combined with the unique components will make the 1m feel completely different from both cars.
      06-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #50
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRick View Post
3.4 liter Judd rather than 4.0 liter BMW
seconded!!!

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #51
Panchio
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe, M3 E92 DCT, 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRick View Post
This is more my idea of what the 1M should be - V8 power, though 3.4 liter Judd rather than 4.0 liter BMW, and a bit more aggressive styling.

Racecar Engineering has a good feature article on the car this month, though nothing I could find on their website yet.
Actually this is how I go to work each day on the Z4 MC
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #52
biped
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 e38, 01 e38, 07 z4mc

My limited experience in the 1m ... wonderful machine, I'm not fond of the looks particularly, but the cabin space is horrible. In a proper seating position ( and I'm not a tall fellow ) there would be no way I could fit a helmet and not bang the roof, even without a helmet I had a big annoyance with the trim on the upper inner door frame. Whereas I have no spacial issues with the z4mc.

I never really got the opportunity to flog the 1m, but it hinted at some serious fun, the power delivery feels a bit more effortless, I do admit to liking the lower end torque, it allows for a bit lazier fun.

But i'm in love with the sensation of driving the z4mc, the driver placement, the constant need for attention, it just feels a bit more like a true ( possibly nostalgic ) sportscar.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #53
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I think from the quantifiable data, the 1M appears to be faster on just about every level. But then, so is a Mustang. Which one do you see yourself in? Go for that one. Either way, you'll be getting a very awesome M car that will be a future classic. 1M possibly even more so than the Z4M.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #54
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Sounds like most of you guys are biased. A buddy of mine just picked up his new 1M and it is an amazing machine. It looks like a true M car but more importantly drives like one too. It is simply spectacular. There's a good reason why all of the top car guys are going nuts over this car. Better yet, it's even more rare than our cars as they are only making them until the end of this year. Talk about a real collector's car.

Having said all that, I still wouldn't trade my M for one. I just love it too much.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #55
biped
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
Sounds like most of you guys are biased. A buddy of mine just picked up his new 1M and it is an amazing machine. It looks like a true M car but more importantly drives like one too. It is simply spectacular. There's a good reason why all of the top car guys are going nuts over this car. Better yet, it's even more rare than our cars as they are only making them until the end of this year. Talk about a real collector's car.

Having said all that, I still wouldn't trade my M for one. I just love it too much.
Well, BMW has said that the 1m is limited to 1500 units for the current 1 series, but a new 1 series has already been in the works, and I believed it was announced that there will be a M varient... wish I could find the link.

It is a fantastic car, no doubt, I just couldn't fit well in it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #56
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Here's a shot I took a couple of weeks ago. POW!

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #57
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Solid assumptions based on known facts and hands-on experience. (No, I have not driven the 1M, but I have what should make for a good set of transferrable observations.)

The 1M uses the same suspension parts as the E9x M3 (past car). I've driven the 135 extensively, and owned a 335 at one point. The 135 and 335 are similar in terms of ride quality. The 135 is a bit "choppier" and a bit lower in terms of comfort, but the 135 feels a bit easier to manuever given it's slightly smaller size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
Sorry I completely disagree when I owned an e36 I used to think this way but the fact is when it comes to M cars the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. You just can't compare a 1m to a 135 or m3 because they share parts between each other, the combination of parts from each model combined with the unique components will make the 1m feel completely different from both cars.
Okay, that's a good point based on experience. On the other hand, it appears that in this case the 1M compared to Z4M pans out pretty much along the lines of the assumptions (see quote below). That doesn't validate the approach I used--it simply means that the in statement of fact the car's ride is a little less harsh than the Z4M based on someone's actual experience.

In terms of suspension, it's no wonder it has the Z4M beat since the front suspension on the Z4M is, after all, from an E36 (2 generations old) and the rear is one M generation behind as well. The E9x M3's suspension was a real improvement over previous efforts. For one thing, it required a lot less negative camber than the previous M generations (E46, E36) and seems to maintain optimal suspension angles better under loads as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
The 1M is more of a mix between the e9X m3 and the Z4M. Its not as refined as the m3, but is more focused like the z4m yet not as much due to more practicality. It rides a bit nicer than I remember my z4m riding. The steering feel is good (ratio is the same as the m3s) and its got more grip than the z4m does.

The n54 does run pretty hot, and im not sold on most of the 1ms looks/angles, but its a solid driving car. In a year or two when they are in the low 30s, that would make a very good buy.
If the N54 has had it's track-related cooling issues tamed enough it would be worth looking into at that point. I'm not sure I could ever get by the emotional attachment I have to the Z4's appearance vs. my aversion to the 1M's looks. Totally subjective, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post

Yes, I am certainly biased. I admit it.

Do I think the 1M handles better and has a more advanced suspension? Yup. Would I love to be able to retrofit those 1M (M3) suspension goodies to the Z4M? Absolutely! Would I trade for it? Nope. I'm in the same boat there as you buddy, too attached to my Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #58
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Would I love to be able to retrofit those 1M (M3) suspension goodies to the Z4M? Absolutely! Would I trade for it? Nope. I'm in the same boat there as you buddy, too attached to my Z4M.
You could always put in some KWs or Bilstein coilovers. I wonder if anyone has driven both a 1 M and a Z4M/MC with upgraded suspension to compare. Having the Z4M/MC be significantly cheaper does open the door to a lot more upgrades.

One especially horrific example of stealership:
      06-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #59
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
You could always put in some KWs or Bilstein coilovers. I wonder if anyone has driven both a 1 M and a Z4M/MC with upgraded suspension to compare. Having the Z4M/MC be significantly cheaper does open the door to a lot more upgrades.

One especially horrific example of stealership:
Holy ****! 40K WTF?! Talk about depreciation!

Yup, coils are on the long term "to do" list, but not until I get as much as possible out of the stock suspension on the track. I would like to know about that comparo.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #60
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Quote:
Holy ****! 40K WTF?! Talk about depreciation!
Ron, is that a Holy **** with and F or an S? lol.

WTF is right. Seriously 40k .

You're getting close to being able to own 3 FI z4mc at that price. And if you are worried about low end torque and don't want to FI, just slap on some euro headers (some may say Jet hot coated ), maybe a 4.10 diff, and spend the remaining 55k on whatever tickles your fancy.

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #61
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl1pt View Post
Ron, is that a Holy **** with and F or an S? lol.

WTF is right. Seriously 40k .

You're getting close to being able to own 3 FI z4mc at that price. And if you are worried about low end torque and don't want to FI, just slap on some euro headers (some may say Jet hot coated ), maybe a 4.10 diff, and spend the remaining 55k on whatever tickles your fancy.
Readers choice John!

With that markup, yes, you could do all that, buy a spare for the future, and still have money left over!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #62
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

You can put on coilovers on the z4m, but it will still have inferior suspension design.

go retrofit go!
      07-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #63
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

Man, it's hard to deny the temptation of the 1M. BMW did an awesome job building up hype for this car. I think more so then they've done for any car in the past. Plus, with all the positive reviews coming from the press... I just really want one!

However, I really love my Z4MC. I think it's probably one of the best looking cars BMW has ever made. The only downside is it's just a little too impractical for my main car... If only I could get my damn road bike in or on it somehow. The extra rear seats in the 1M would definitely be nice in a pinch.

In case anyone hasn't seen this yet, here's Clarkson's review (video) on Top Gear:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549979

Usually his reviews of BMWs are pretty critical, but he just seems to love the 1M. Plus, the way the Stig runs the 1M around the test track is probably one of the most trilling runs I've seen him do (although, this is a new Stig, so that might have something to do with it).

As for me, I think I'll keep my Z4MC. I love it more and more each day... and I just order the 4.10 R&P, so that'll keep me entertained for a while.

Last edited by marinb; 07-01-2011 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #64
biped
Private
Rep

I think in a perfect world, the best scenario, would be to own both, and somehow clone yourself but incorporate a shared consciousness/neural pleasure center link, so you can simultaneously bombard yourself with endorphins from both experiences.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #65
pjusa10
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupe,'07 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Well guys I am off in the morning to Atlanta to look at a one owner '07 ZMC w/ 15k miles. Had a pre-purchase inspection done, but won't know anything until the morning. It is a little higher price than I wanted, but with wheels and new tires it somewhat makes up for it (at least that is what I am trying to convince myself). Hopefully if I like it I can get a better price. Here is the link, let me know what you think. Also, anyone know this car, ever a member here?? I did get the service history only negative or issue was the oil pan was replaced under warranty. But according to my service advisor, I should not worry or be concerned. One concern I have it says it has H&R springs, not sure if shocks were changed as well. If only springs, I imagine I could have an issue down the line. Correct?? Dealer could not give me any info on what exactly was done.

http://www.motorcarsofgeorgia.com/us...67163ede5d.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #66
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

looks like Bill's car.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552279
http://billswebspace.com/bmwmc.htm
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)