ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
buckawheat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M Roadster

Car: 2006 M Roadster, has the business head unit, dsp jazz club etc. Stock all around - no modifications to any electrical or other components.

I purchased a soundplicity ipod connector from bavariansoundwerks and installed it - 6 pin and 3 pin connectors in the trunk, ran the ipod cable up through the hole by the battery and tucked up to console - I plug Ipods and Iphones directly into the cable.

I can select the input using the Mode button (3 options, including in dash CD, Radio and the CD changer input - TR1) It works great and sounds great when I turn on the radio without starting the car.

The problem is that once I start the car, within 1 - 30 seconds or so the head unit drops back to radio and the input for the CD change is no longer there, just CD and Radio. If I turn off the car and restart - it reappears and will play from the CD changer input with no issues until I again try to start and use the car. It is frustrating because it does work until the engine is running and I want to drive the car.

Bavariansoundwerks was fantastic and sent me a second full kit which I installed, but had the same issues with it.

I don't think it is an electrical short - a mechanical short doesn't make sense as I can turn the car off then on and it works every time. I've also done resets disconnecting the battery for hours (and over the winter months) with no change.

I've run searches here and don't seem to be finding a match for what could be happening. Any guidance or advice would be appreciated as this is driving me crazy.

Thanks!

Last edited by buckawheat; 05-24-2013 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Fixed issue - happens when engine started, not just put in gear.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
buckawheat
Enlisted Member
Rep

One more point - The CD changer input is there when I first start the car if an idevice is hooked up or not (power coming through simplicity so it must read it as a cd changer available), the option to select it goes away once I start driving the car same as if an ipod were connected.

Once again, I appreciate any suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
buckawheat
Enlisted Member
Rep

I give up. I went and ordered the Aux in kit from bavauto. The soundplicity has all the features I want, sounds good and charges the ipod, hopefully some BMW electrical/audio expert will see this at some later point and give me an easy solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Valhalla1*
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I'm also having the same issues that your describing. Installed the soundplicity in March, the only thing I've found that works consistently is before I turn off the car I hit the radio power off, when starting the car I let her warm up and stabilize then turn on the radio. I know she's working and happy when on the nav it doesn't say check cd, but rather track 01. Considering just doing the ipod retrofit when she goes for oil change and check up before winter storage, spec.dock should work with it. Let me know if you find other solutions.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
buckawheat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla1* View Post
I'm also having the same issues that your describing. Installed the soundplicity in March, the only thing I've found that works consistently is before I turn off the car I hit the radio power off, when starting the car I let her warm up and stabilize then turn on the radio. I know she's working and happy when on the nav it doesn't say check cd, but rather track 01. Considering just doing the ipod retrofit when she goes for oil change and check up before winter storage, spec.dock should work with it. Let me know if you find other solutions.
I'll give that a try (leaving the radio off for a bit until underway and see if it picks up) - I don't have Navigation on mine.

At least it is a charger for the ipod (a $100 charger) that doesn't use the lighter socket.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
GyroF-16
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Another data point

I'm having similar issues in my 2007 MC w/ Nav.
I bought the car used (I'm the second owner) about 9 months ago, and found the iPod cable after I got the car. I haven't torn into the bulkhead behind the seats yet, so I don't know what aftermarket unit is in there.

Anyway...

About 50% of the time, I can select "TR01" with the MODE button and get audio from my iPhone just fine. The other 50% of the time, the MODE button jumps from radio straight to "TR XX-XXX" (the CD). When that happens, I have a difficult time ever getting audio from my iPhone. My most-successful tactic so far in this situation is to start playing music from the iPhone (even thought I can't hear it), then turn off the car and restart, then wait about 10 sec before hitting the "MODE" button. Sometimes this technique works, and sometimes it doesn't. Very frustrating, and a bit inconvenient, especially if I'm on the highway when I discover that I can't get audio from the iPhone.
Do any of you have similar problems? And, if so, have you come up with a way to get the car to CONSISTENTLY recognize the iPhone?

Feel free to PM me to compare notes.

Gyro
Appreciate 0