ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

A guy in a new Boxster Spyder just caught up to me at a light to ask what year the MC is and tell me it's badass. I've seen a few of the Spyders around and love them. Very 550ish, which I believe was the goal. The Spyder and I drove along spiritedly together for about a mile before I turned off. I thought it was a pretty big compliment considering what he was driving.

Edit: Just to clarify he was envious. I like the Spyder but I'm more than satisfied with my MC.
      09-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Performance wise, a Boxster Spyder is just marginally better than the S, and really only cost a few thousand more.

The looks of the Spyder are awesome, and it is the only older Boxster model I would consider buying, now that the newer model is out.

It's nice to get a compliment, but a Boxster Spyder compliment isn't like a F430 or a Lambo pulled up to you and gave the thumbs up. In reality, a compliment from you would be bigger!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

I thought the Spyder was pretty limited production. I think it's basically just lighter weight but still very cool.

Edit: I guess it's not that limited but it is drastically different from a run of the mill Boxster. Performance seems to be comparable to an MC despite the 400 lb weight difference. I also just noticed there was a Spyder made from 2004-2008 though I know nothing of that model.
      09-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

The only things the Boxster Spyder had changed was an extra 10 hp, a manual roof, exterior cosmetic mods, 176 pounds lighter, 1 inch lower and a firmer suspension. Most reviews just had it slightly better, but nothing special, compared to the S.

Everything was just a $3,200 upgrade from an S.

I think the Spyder would be definitely worth the extra couple of grand, just for the cosmetics!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Anyway, I'd expect a new Spyder owner to be more of an enthusiast than the average 430 or Lambo owner who probably just wanted something expensive and Italian. I see ten Ferraris a day not including the 15 in the dealership I live on top of and I've only seen three of the new Spyders. I like the Spyder despite it not being a high dollar super car and I thought it was a nice compliment.
      09-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I drove a Spyder on a slalom course at Calabogie Motorsports Park outside of Ottawa, Ontario a year ago as part of a Porsche Canada track day (also drove a Cayman S, 911 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo, 911 Carrera GTS, Panamera Turbo etc....it was a good day!!) and I can say that it was the most fun out of all of them. Wish I could have driven a Cayman R or GT3 but there were none of them there.

Awesome car but that manual roof is one MASSIVE pain in the arse.
Appreciate 0