ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Costs reasonable?

I'm sure this is covered elsewhere on the forum, but I'm trying to schedule a service appointment asap (while at work) and don't have time this morning to read through previous posts. I need to get an oil change and possibly a valve adjustment and/or Inspection I. Local BMW dealer prices:

- oil change: $246
- Inspection I: $1,205
- valve adjustment alone: $1,165

I have a call in to the indy shop that was recommended by a few others here, waiting for their prices.

This is not a "oh man that's expensive!" post. But rather, based on what you've seen from BMW dealers and indy shops, are these costs reasonable? I'm not super handy so would never dare to do the valve adjustment on my own. I could probably change the oil on my own at some point, just don't have the time to do it now. (And in a previous post I explained how the dealer who sold me the car put the wrong oil in it, so they may very well wind up paying for it anyway.)

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Jstic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i

I'm a do it yourself type, but even if I wasn't and someone tried to charge me $246 for an oil change, I would not walk away, I would run.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
clashcity74
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

I often can't make the time to do some of the maintenance items myself so I just buy what I need and drop it off to my indy guy who then just charges me labor to do the work.

Turner has a nice page to pick all the items you might want:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-14...e-package.aspx

Just as a possible guide here's what I was charged by my shop in PA:

$340 - Valve Adjustment Labor @ 4 hours
$100 - Valve Shims and Gasket (they have multiple kits and just charged me for the ones I needed)
$42.50 - Oil Change Labor @ .5 hours
      09-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Those are way too expensive; try to find an good indie shop with a more reasonable labor rate. Here in Connecticut, the dealers are charging $185/hour. They also using the Standard hours which are highly inflate. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep

I heard back from the indy shop. $100 for oil change and $600 for valve adjustment. He replied and basically told me to just bring it in and they'll see what it needs - may not need valve job yet. Unlike many of you here, I just don't have the mechanical skills to knock this kind of stuff out on my own, so I need to pay someone to do it. If I had a friend who was a mechanic I'm sure I could pick it up by watching him, but I have no such luck. Oh well, I put my energies into my work so that I can make the $ to pay these shops. Keeps the economy spinning around...and...allows me to just jump in, turn the key, and drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

What is your mileage? The valve adjustment intervals are specified as 25,000 miles. Did the car come with service records? There is also the question of the need for a VANOS filter depending on your mileage. And other maintenance items besides. Do a search on this forum once you have the time and get familiar with the recommended intervals for everything. These cars are highly tuned, very specially built machines but will last and perform if they are maintained accordingly. Not the best notion to rely on an indie's opinion of 'see what it needs.'

Someone famous who lived in a white house once said 'trust but confirm.'
      09-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbalutis View Post
Someone famous who lived in a white house once said 'trust but confirm.'
Sorry dude, "trust, but verify" Heres the clip - one of my heroes & forever immortal
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeoluck View Post
I heard back from the indy shop. $100 for oil change and $600 for valve adjustment. He replied and basically told me to just bring it in and they'll see what it needs - may not need valve job yet. Unlike many of you here, I just don't have the mechanical skills to knock this kind of stuff out on my own, so I need to pay someone to do it. If I had a friend who was a mechanic I'm sure I could pick it up by watching him, but I have no such luck. Oh well, I put my energies into my work so that I can make the $ to pay these shops. Keeps the economy spinning around...and...allows me to just jump in, turn the key, and drive.
Glad you found an Indie, BMW is reaching for new heights of outrageous
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

$100 for oil change sounds a bit low. Make sure they are using correct oil for the ///M. Valve adjustment sounds right.

Things to check while at shop.

Passenger side engine mount bracket
Power steering hose
Vano bolts
Rear sway bar bracket. These tend to fall off from factory
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
Motorwerks or Sears? I'm assuming Sears since they have a new facility.

Seriously though, if they're over $120 or so on an oil change I'd go elsewhere. I do the oil myself and even if you figure $8/qt + filter, it just doesn't add up. Do it yourself. It seriously takes no more than 20 minutes plus either (A) 2 Rhino ramps and 2 - 2x4s or (B) a racing jack from Harbor Freight (in Burnsville, right off of 35W).

As for the valves, I have zero experience. I'd check out an Indy shop. My BMW's were both under warranty when I lived in MN, so I ever stopped by an indy mechanic.

Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys. Based on what I've seen in online reviews, a few recommendations from others on this forum, the pics and descriptions of the shop's website and the communication I've had with the shop owner...I'm feeling good about things so far. But will reserve final judgment for now.

Apparently he hired a 10 year BMW tech away from the big dealer, so he's got an experienced guy on board. I didn't go into detail about what he said to me, but he did rattle off some of the more common things I've heard hear as far as Z4M issues, so he seems to know his stuff.

Wasn't Sears, it was Motorwerks. They appear to be a first class operation (and they sold 400 vehicles last month; dear Lord!), but I just can't bring myself to pay that much. If the local indy shop is in the $100 to $120 range - which appears to be 2x what I might incur in costs on my own anyway, I'm inclined to let them do it. The risk-reward ratio is just too high for 'ol Tim the Toolman Taylor here.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasupdu View Post
Motorwerks or Sears? I'm assuming Sears since they have a new facility.

Seriously though, if they're over $120 or so on an oil change I'd go elsewhere. I do the oil myself and even if you figure $8/qt + filter, it just doesn't add up. Do it yourself. It seriously takes no more than 20 minutes plus either (A) 2 Rhino ramps and 2 - 2x4s or (B) a racing jack from Harbor Freight (in Burnsville, right off of 35W).

Good luck!!
getBMWparts where many folks buy from have oil change kit for $112 for the ///M. I can see $100 for regular BMW oil change.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...subcat1=181452
Appreciate 0