ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #23
chickdr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I personally love the seat heaters in a convertible. Even in GA they are nice to have and extend top down season quite a bit. You can put them in yourself. Having a dealer do would be stupid expensive. Maybe an trim shop could do it if you don't want to.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #24
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiam
Any comments on value of seat heaters? We did have it in our old car and used it occasionally in the winter.

I've narrowed my choice down to 2 different ones. A black/saddle brown with wood trim and seat heaters and a space gray/black with aluminum trim and no seat heaters. Identical otherwise and same mileage. The gray one is about $1,500 cheaper than the black one.

I've seen a DUI post on installing these yourself but beyond my skills. I guess getting this installed OEM by a dealer would be $$$$$.
As far as heated seats go, my wife likes it in the winter, but I really never use it.. The Space Gray must be a 2008? I could be wrong, but I think that is the first year Space Gray was used on Z4s.. Before that, there was a Silver Gray..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #25
clausiam
Rep
Drives: None yet

Yes, they are both '08s.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #26
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Have you test-driven both cars to see if you like the "feel" of one versus the other?

All things being equal, my perference would be for the black car. But that's just my personal preference. The grey car won't look as obviously in need of a wash when its dusty as the black car will.

Oh yes - to see if both cars have bluetooth handsfree for your cellphone, press the R/T button on the steering wheel when the car is running. The radio display should say "searching....." if the car has bluetooth.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #27
jatmallet
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiam View Post
Any comments on value of seat heaters? We did have it in our old car and used it occasionally in the winter.
The seat heaters are a must in Atlanta. I know we had a mild winter this year, but the seat heaters extended the top down season to year round for me this year. Nothing quite like December/January with the top down!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #28
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatmallet View Post
The seat heaters are a must in Atlanta. I know we had a mild winter this year, but the seat heaters extended the top down season to year round for me this year. Nothing quite like December/January with the top down!
WIMP!!!

I've been spining around in Canada at 35F with the top down and NO heated seats.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #29
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
We are lucky enough to have both an SLK350 and a Z4.

Firstly, my wife LOVES her SLK. It's the perfect car for her, it has a comfortable ride, over-boosted super low effort power steering and with airscarf, the car has a built in hair dryer. The hard top makes for comfortable motoring. Now, I've never really like the car. It's too soft and vague for any real driving enjoyment. I think the engine is lousy with a sound that does not befit a car of its class and when coupled with an auto tranny that is always confused the overall driving experience is less than satisfactory.

I have a Z4 3.0si coupe (not a roadster). I really think the N52 is one of the best modern non-M BMW engines. It's just so smooth. The car is firm, and while many complain about the electric steering in the Si, I've thought it to have as much feel as I need for street use. Now, my wife hates the car. She finds it stiff, uncomfortable, heavy to steer, and for the life of her she can't understand the appeal of a 2-seater that does not drop-top.

So you see, It's super important that you drive both before choosing. They are more different than you might imagine based on specs. And they offer completely different driving experiences.
      05-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #30
clausiam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Have you test-driven both cars to see if you like the "feel" of one versus the other?
Well, one is 800 miles away, the other a 'mere' 490 miles, so I won't be able to test drive both. I'll have to pick one, fly there, test-drive and if it works out go for a loooong drive home!!

Just found a third (700 miles away, sigh) with fewer miles but no factory warranty - the two others still have about a year/10,000 miles left on factory warranty. Not sure how important that is on a relatively new car with ~40K miles but would be a nice thing to have just in case.

jatmallet - good stuff on the heaters in ATL. My wife is always cold when outside so probably I should add those to the 'must-have' list.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #31
silver28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435i xdrive 6 speed

My wife has only sat in my 2006 3.0SI twice, and I've had it for 7 months. She says its loud, uncomfortable, and she feels claustrophobic in the cabin. However she says the car is beautiful to say the least.

I personally think the SLK will look dated after a few years - especially with all the new mercs coming out, they are pretty stylish. BMW's look like BMW's, plus the stylish is pretty outrageous on the z4 so think it will almost be timeless.

In terms of realiability, I haven't had my car long enough and it only has 12K miles so 0 issues. I live up in Toronto, and I have snow run flat snows for it but don't drive it in the snow. So can't comment there.

The hard top would be nice though for winters to be honest...do you have a garage at least?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #32
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well, one is 800 miles away, the other a 'mere' 490 miles, so I won't be able to test drive both. I'll have to pick one, fly there, test-drive and if it works out go for a loooong drive home!!

Just found a third (700 miles away, sigh) with fewer miles but no factory warranty - the two others still have about a year/10,000 miles left on factory warranty. Not sure how important that is on a relatively new car with ~40K miles but would be a nice thing to have just in case.

jatmallet - good stuff on the heaters in ATL. My wife is always cold when outside so probably I should add those to the 'must-have' list.
One review of the 3.0si that i read described the cabin heater as being similar to a small nuclear reactor about to go into meltdown, it produces that much heat. having said that, I honestly believe that in Atlanta, you would get by quite nicely without heated seats, even in the cooler months there.

But like I said earlier, black with woodgrain, saddle leather interior and heated seats is one mighty fine combination!

And yes - reliable as these cars are, factory warranty is a GOOD THING!

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #33
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Here is a review of the Canadian 2004 model year car:

http://www.auto123.com/en/car-review...tid=30509&pg=1

See page 3 for the comment about the very effective cabin heater. Note that US model cars don't have power fiolding mirrors.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #34
clausiam
Rep

Guess I just bought a car, or at least put a deposit down.

Ended up getting gray/black and no seat heaters, but couldn't turn down the offer I got on this one and it still has factory warranty for 9 months.

Appreciate the patience with all my novice questions...

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #35
Ctrl-Z
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4si  [0.00]
Looks awesome. Congrats and welcome to the club.
      05-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #36
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl-Z View Post
Looks awesome. Congrats and welcome to the club.
allow me to second that!

beautiful car! Congratulations! Now get signed up to our Facebook group and you're done!

When do you take delivery? I'm sure I speak for others when I say please
Post pics when you get the car home. By the way, if you think it looks good there, wait until you look at in parked in your driveway!

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #37
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Quote:
1. I've been looking only at the 3.0si model but there are a lot of 3.0i vehicles out there. 'i' is ~215hp and 'si' is 255hp. Seems like a big difference but how much of a difference does it make when driving? Is the 'i' as fun as the 'si'?
The 2006-2008 Z4 with 215hp is plenty...actually feel like a lot more. Driving difference depends on how "you" drive. But then this is for your wife...so she love it anyways.

Quote:
2. Living in a hot climate with summer temps in the 95F/35F degree range with lots of sun (sorry to the brits and scots on here, didn't mean to rub it in, but on the flip side our gas/petrol is much cheaper - oh, wait ) would I regret getting the black seats? I could imagine parking with the top down and after 5 minutes of the sun beating down on the black leather you'd get burned when sitting down again. I'm not really too fond of the beige interior (wife likes the red of course, and my favorite is the saddle brown, but hard to find those), but that may be the best choice for hot, sunny conditions. Any opinions on that?
I have the Oregon Leather in my black Z4 3.0i.... love the light colour against black car...plus...as you stated...ouch to black when HOT...it soaks up the rays. Saddle Brown....would get in a minute if I could!

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #38
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
WIMP!!!

I've been spining around in Canada at 35F with the top down and NO heated seats.

Yep...had car out in March.... - 10°C with top down and bum warmers on.... and HUGE SMILE on my face!

Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #39
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Guess I just bought a car, or at least put a deposit down.

Ended up getting gray/black and no seat heaters, but couldn't turn down the offer I got on this one and it still has factory warranty for 9 months.

Appreciate the patience with all my novice questions...

Congrats..... You will not regret this purchase!

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #40
jatmallet
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M Roadster

Quote:
WIMP!!!

Lol, you're a better man than I, I need my butt warmer!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #41
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Beautiful color combo. Congrats and welcome!
      05-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #42
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

Pics and review on delivery is a must!! Looks great and welcome to the club!!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #43
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatmallet View Post
Lol, you're a better man than I, I need my butt warmer!
LOL!! I was playing with ya, in case it wasn't obvious!

My buddy has seat warmers and I tease him that they are simply methane afterburners!

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #44
Ctrl-Z
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4si  [0.00]
Ha chickdr when do you pick up the car?

Quote:
LOL!! I was playing with ya, in case it wasn't obvious!

My buddy has seat warmers and I tease him that they are simply methane afterburners!
Ha! Im right here you know. The heated seats are nice, but only a must when dealing with this. This was only 2 weeks ago. Nice now.
Attached Images