ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
mdrobc13
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria or nearby

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Z4MR Maintenance

Recently purchased an 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster from an out of state dealer in reported good shape without full records. Car has 33k on it. Called my BMW Service rep (prefered dealership is 100miles away roughly) asked him to run the VIN and check a few items and here was the response:
1. Updated DVD Navigation disc is 215.00
2. Installation of the aftermarket exhaust is 465.43 (this price may go down it all depends on the exhaust)
3. Labor to replace the aluminum dash trim/center console is 265.99 (using Owner supplied replacement parts - Aluminum trim is roughly $945)
4. '06 Z4M wheels can be upgraded off of any 2009+z4 vehicles without the worry of offset. ($2699 sale 18" BMW Z4 '10 OEM wheel package offered)
5. The car is due for an Inspection 1 from VIN history; cost is $1208.40 parts labor plus additional sales tax..
So upon further question I asked specifically about what does Inspection I involve? Anwser was:

Inspection 1 involves an oil service, micro filter, valve adjustment which takes most of the time, check exhaust, steering linkages, suspension, scan DME for faults, fuel lines and vapor hoses, windows, body, coolant, and engine for leaks.

Seeing that BMW dealers recommended service now is usually much less than what was done when you actually paid for service (now that BMW pays for it). I found a local independant shop that specializes in BMW's (they had an M1 in the shop floor when I was in there and numerous e39 thru e65 M5 and e46 M3's...sweet and confidence inspiring! LOL). Anyway left my car there last Wed AM and pickup today...Overall cost $1865 plus tax. Work done:
1. Installation of new Hawk ceramic performance brake pads all around.
2. Replacement of all brake lines with stainless steel ones from Turner Motorsport.
3. Complete flush of the brakes and refill with DOT Blue Racing Fluid.
4. Repair and replacement of broken Rt fender brake venting and grille
5. Oil change with Castor TWS OEM recommended S54 engine oil & Filter
6. Replacement of differential fluid, and manual transmission fluids/oil.
7. Air filter change. Microfilter was deferred.
8. DME scan and alternator fault investigation (was ok)
9. Reset of all Service/inspection lights.
10. Finally Inspection I items to include valve adjustment and individual shims replacement and all involved.
So in all while the dealer is okay; believe me I think I saved about $800 or more by NOT letting them sevice the car! Seems that most of them just want to replace parts and run up shop hours vs actually taking care of what is needed and doing more to keep the car running longer than the warranty period. Anyway my 2 cents.

Am interested in what you guys have done maintenance wise in the upkeep of your Z4M's. Any similar experiences or are your drastically different? BTW I am following the BMW Old School Maintenance Schedule from Mike Miller which I got from Roundel/Bimmer Magazine back when I got me e92 M3. Seems to be good advice to spend a little now to save alot later. Thought?

PS...also added SuperSpring Powerloop exhausts ($1700+$135 to install at local muffler shop down the street) to the car and Auflegen SR-71 19" wheels ($1100) on Hanook Ventus V12 rubber ($700)to the car too before the trip in to the dealer to complete the upgrade/maintenance job!
Attached Images

'23 BMW M2 (Z. Blue/black) - weekender, '22 BMW M4 Comp (SSG/Black) - gone, '16 BMW M4 (Shakir Orange/Black) - gone, '15 BMW M3 (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten,'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten,'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone, '03 BMW M3 (Black/Black)

Last edited by mdrobc13; 08-04-2011 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: added
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Looking good. Glad you saved some money.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

which indy did u visit in san ant? for the items u quoted done @ $1865 + tax, it's very pricey. i had my inspection I completed with an oem oil change (i supplied the tischer kit @ $99), full brake fluid flush and valve clearance check and was charged $700 flat at an indy in san ant.

+1 on bmw of san ant being the non-preferred dealership. what a joke charging $465.43 to swap a pair of mufflers that're each bolted on at two separate locations and are direct plug-and-play!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
mdrobc13
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria or nearby

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
which indy did u visit in san ant? for the items u quoted done @ $1865 + tax, it's very pricey. i had my inspection I completed with an oem oil change (i supplied the tischer kit @ $99), full brake fluid flush and valve clearance check and was charged $700 flat at an indy in san ant.

+1 on bmw of san ant being the non-preferred dealership. what a joke charging $465.43 to swap a pair of mufflers that're each bolted on at two separate locations and are direct plug-and-play!
PM me and I'll tell you.
Inspection was $500 rouughly plus tax equalled what you paid almost. They did to valve clearances, oil, air and all fluids to. But I also had them install stainless steel lines all around and do the brakes all around as well in addition to doing all the diff fluids and transmission fluids and all coolants as well to include repairing a lft front brake duct that was hanging on the inside of my fender by a screw it seemed and replace the respective fender liner as well. They also chased down an alternator power fault as well. So it was a little more than just valves and an oil change done.

Agree with you on the exhaust...I was like $500 basically what are they smoking? Took it 3 miles down the road and dropped it off at 8am and they were done by noon only cause I had 2 cars ahead of me and no appt. I go nowhere near BMW SA except I did get the NAV disc from them for $193 with my BMW CCA discount! LOL
'23 BMW M2 (Z. Blue/black) - weekender, '22 BMW M4 Comp (SSG/Black) - gone, '16 BMW M4 (Shakir Orange/Black) - gone, '15 BMW M3 (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten,'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten,'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone, '03 BMW M3 (Black/Black)
Appreciate 0