ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
TexasZed4MC
Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Carbon Airbox???

Is there any other good distributors for carbon airbox's for our cars? I found the one on Bimmerworlds site. Any others out there?

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
"Racing is important to men who do it well, Racing is.... life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen (Le Mans)
TexasZed4MC is offline   United_States
      08-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
griffer
Registered

Drives: 2008 z4M Coupe Sapphire Black

Bump
      08-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
inTgr8r
Major General

Drives: 07 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasZed4MC View Post
Is there any other good distributors for carbon airbox's for our cars? I found the one on Bimmerworlds site. Any others out there?
^Isn't that one for the E46 M3?

I was surprised how heavy the OE air collector is when I had it off.
There is a lot of engineering that goes into one of these, so its something to be careful with.
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•RPi GT exhaust•Fabspeed Headers•VRS Hyper-Narrow rear wing•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•KW Clubsport•H&R ARBs c/w Turner Adj Links•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
inTgr8r is offline   Canada
      08-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
beta
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 M Roadster

There are none specifically for the Z4M. Expect to have to do lots of modifying and tinkering to get an e46 one to fit, see crfine88s thread.

If you are interested in someone developing one for the Z4 M, post in this thread.
      08-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
OG_M3
First Lieutenant

Drives: 1985 AE86 & E92 SG M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
1985 AE86  [0.00]
CA Automotive makes a box for the Z4M.

http://www.ca-int.co.uk/single_prod.php?prod_id=2670

there was a guy in germany or something that has it:
http://www.ca-automotive.co.uk/demo-...3JmlkPTI5.html

the tune is a different story though.
OG_M3 is offline   United_States
      08-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
Finnegan
Major General

Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc

The CSL one CF for the E46 weighs next to nothing. Buddy of mine just picked one up (along with cams and a bunch of other goodies) for his E46 M3 CSL conversion, and I couldn't believe how light it was, or how much he spent on it either!
Finnegan is online now   United_States
      08-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
beta
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG_M3 View Post
CA Automotive makes a box for the Z4M.
I stand corrected, thanks og_m3. I thought the uk "csl z4m" was an actual csl box with a lot of custom work, should've read his thread more carefully.

For reference, here's the thread on the uk forum.
      09-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
TexasZed4MC
Lieutenant

I have a friend in Germany looking into these for me. With and without using the stock MAF. Also at a price FAR cheaper than any offered in the states or other sites talked about here. Keep checking here and I will update with more info. I hope to have details by the end of the week. CROSS YOUR FINGERS GUYS. He is an E30 M3 genius and has TONS of outlets for many many carbon airbox configurations on BMW's

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
"Racing is important to men who do it well, Racing is.... life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen (Le Mans)

Last edited by TexasZed4MC; 09-03-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: add info
      09-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
inTgr8r
Major General

Drives: 07 M Coupe

subscribed
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•RPi GT exhaust•Fabspeed Headers•VRS Hyper-Narrow rear wing•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•KW Clubsport•H&R ARBs c/w Turner Adj Links•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
inTgr8r is offline   Canada
      09-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver

Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
I have a friend in Germany looking into these for me. With and without using the stock MAF. Also at a price FAR cheaper than any offered in the states or other sites talked about here. Keep checking here and I will update with more info. I hope to have details by the end of the week. CROSS YOUR FINGERS GUYS. He is an E30 M3 genius and has TONS of outlets for many many carbon airbox configurations on BMW's
I really doubt it can be a quality piece and cheaper. I know for a fact Evolve loses money on all of their air boxes because of the process involved in making them.

http://evolveautomotive.com/engine-e...on-airbox_693/
130is MSport 6MT/ SuperSprint Headers & Exhaust with Swain Tech Race Coat / DISA Manifold / EVOLVE Tune / TCK DA Coilovers / Euro CF Intake/Box / BMW v1 Wheel / BBS RGRs with PSS / F30 Brake Shield / BMW CF Spoiler & Diffuser / Blackline Tails / Rear Fogs Enabled / Front Fogs Delete / CDV Delete / BMW Black Kidneys / M5 Illuminated Knob / BMW Stripe
TheSt|G is offline   United_States
      09-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
TexasZed4MC
Lieutenant

In the pictures he sent me the airbox he is looking at is a work of art. He uses this same company for all the S14 airboxes. I have seen those and beautiful inside and out is an understatement.

09-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
TexasZed4MC
Lieutenant

I have some details on the airbox from Germany. All I can say now is that it is a style CSL airbox, using the factory CSL air filter. You are able to use you stock MAF also. The company sent pictures to me, and the product looks great. It looks extremely similar to the airbox VAC sales. The price we are working out, but no where close to the $3000+ most cost.
I am also looking at a Delage airbox at the end of the month. I will keep you all posted. Some say the Delage box will not fit the Z4, we will soon find out!

Last edited by TexasZed4MC; 09-12-2012 at 06:05 AM.
      09-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
boydgti
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 z4m

good work
      09-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #14
avsbmw
Captain

Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
I have some details on the airbox from Germany. All I can say now isthat is is a style CSL airbox, using the factory CSL air filter. You are able to use you stock MAF also. The company sent pictures to me, and the product looks great. I look extremely similar to the airbox VAC sales. The price we are working out, but no where close to the $3000+ most cost.
I am also looking at a Delage airbox at the end of the month. I will keep you all posted. Some say the Delage box will not fit the Z4, we will soon find out!
nice! keep us posted
      09-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
Mirko
Captain

Drives: Z4M, E90 328i

Quote:
I have some details on the airbox from Germany. All I can say now is that it is a style CSL airbox, using the factory CSL air filter. You are able to use you stock MAF also. The company sent pictures to me, and the product looks great. It looks extremely similar to the airbox VAC sales. The price we are working out, but no where close to the $3000+ most cost.
Post up some pictures. What sort of price range, $2K?

I looked into Delage airbox and found the reviews weren't positive for the most part. Lots of heat soak was the main concern. Take a look at the M3 forums for details, they also come up for sale in the $800-1100 range. I think that the fit was snug for us but no issue.
Mirko is offline   Canada
      09-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #16
sadar

Drives: Z4M roadster

Goeke Makes a specific Airbox for the Z4M
Link :

http://www.carbon-goeke.de/airboxen.html
      09-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
flipm3
E46 + E90

Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
If you'd like, could you send me the photos of the Airbox you plan on getting that is a near replica of the CSL?

I am curious which company is manufacturing these Airboxes. In the endless research I've done, I've seen quite a few samples out there. Many good...many bad.

I'd personally stay away from the Delage Airbox...depending on which one you're looking at.
      10-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #18
///MPWR
Registered

Drives: Z4 M Cp

Göke recommendable

I'm using a Göke with the CSL filter. It is a very well made piece and the company is very reliable.

Tuning it properly was a bit cumbersome. Knowing what I know now I'd go with MAF.
///MPWR is offline   Germany
      10-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #19
No_Dominion
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPWR View Post
I'm using a Göke with the CSL filter. It is a very well made piece and the company is very reliable.

Tuning it properly was a bit cumbersome. Knowing what I know now I'd go with MAF.
Can you elaborate on the tuning issues you had?

And do you have any dyno charts before/after install?

I'm in the market for a CF airbox before too long, trying to get my options worked out, and Goke is definitely on my list.