ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

DTS, Brake, Tire symbol errors

I have been searching for a while online both here and other BMW forums to determine what is going on with my car.

Today when leaving work I drove a short distance and the following three symbols popped up on my dash all at once.

1) Yellow Brake
2) Tire (TPMS)
3) DTC

The car did pull a bit to the left....so drove to the nearest gas station, checked tire pressures. Yes, the front driver one was low, although not extremely low. Filled it up to 30lbs....and drove home.

Once home...I tried to reset the indirect TPMS in my car (2006 Z4 so has no TPMS in actual wheels. This neither cleared the three error codes, but certainly did not even clear the tire light. Followed this procedure.

1. Check Tire Pressure to make sure no variance from side to side.
2. Sit in car, with out touching the pedals.
3. Key in ignition, Turn key on to engine off position (second position).
4. Press and hold TPM until TPM lights go out completely on the dash.
5. Press and hold TPM again until yellow TPM light indicator comes lit on dash.
6. Start car and drive. Light will go off itself once it has calibrated tire pressure. (might go out at idle).

Pulled out my Innova 3030 code reader...and it shows the car is throwing nothing...no codes what so ever. Did a visual check for items such as loose cables all all four wheels, and re-checked tire pressures. All were good (30 front, 35 rear). Still have the error lights on dash.

So a few places tell me that I need to drive for a few days and the system will correct itself, other places say disconnect the battery and the system will're-learn and reset error dash lights.

Well I am hoping someone on her might be able to shed a bit more light on what the three symbols together might indicate. Hoping nothing serious!!

Thanks...

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
GeorgeT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 750i; 2003 Z4 3.0

Couple of things: 30 psi seems a bit low; check the door panel for recommended psi (even if 30 psi is too low, a warning would not be issued if the system were reset though). Also, how old is your battery? Weak and failing batteries cause starnge things to happen (mine caused the DTC to activate in moderate turns).
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
Couple of things: 30 psi seems a bit low; check the door panel for recommended psi (even if 30 psi is too low, a warning would not be issued if the system were reset though). Also, how old is your battery? Weak and failing batteries cause starnge things to happen (mine caused the DTC to activate in moderate turns).
The tire pressures are the car spec (aka door panel), and I believe the battery is good (had this tested in the spring).

But will double check battery just to make sure. Was planning getting a new one in the spring after it come out of winter storage.

Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

There are some descriptions in the manual (around p.52, depending on version ... see the section on DSC/DTC) that describe the meaning of the various warning light combinations.

But if the DSC light comes on with the others, my guess is you may unfortunately have one of these:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725821

Last edited by krusty; 08-02-2012 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe

Although this was experienced by me in an E90, maybe this helps your trouble-shooting:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302383
      08-04-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
There are some descriptions in the manual (around p.52, depending on version ... see the section on DSC/DTC) that describe the meaning of the various warning light combinations.

But if the DSC light comes on with the others, my guess is you may unfortunately have one of these:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725821
I am not sure what page 52 you are referring to? The manual for my ODBII reader only has 32 pages...none of which help.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekla View Post
Although this was experienced by me in an E90, maybe this helps your trouble-shooting:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302383
Thanks I will check it out!

I am trying what others on other forums have said...disconnect battery for 12 hours and reconnect and see what happens.

I get the lights but no error codes on my reader. Checked reader on another vehicle we know has issues and it works fine.

Strange as heck! Hopeful that the battery thing works.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko521 View Post
I am not sure what page 52 you are referring to? The manual for my ODBII reader only has 32 pages...none of which help.
The BMW manual for the car ... the page numbers might vary by country.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

You just need a new battery. Common issue
      08-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Kream
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe, 11 GLK350

Make sure your positive terminal clamp is on tight. I had same issue with mine after installing a new battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
Also, how old is your battery? Weak and failing batteries cause starnge things to happen (mine caused the DTC to activate in moderate turns).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
You just need a new battery. Common issue
Well folks....you both are 100% correct. The problem was the battery. Had the codes cleared and battery charged by the dealer.

They said my battery would last for a while but said I should replace sooner than later. Not bad for over 6.5 years. Ended up buying and installing a new battery by myself (Dealer wanted $$$ for this). All is well now as I bought a new MotoMaster Eliminator Automotive Battery Product #10-4785-4 (comes with proper vent holes).

Test drove the car and everything is back to normal. I guess the combination of codes for low battery that I could not read on my code reader was easily found at the dealership.

I might need to invest in a much better code reader.

Appreciate 0