ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
609
Rep
10,649
Posts

Drives: E86, E90, F25
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (84)

Garage List
Do You Bother Applying Brake Lube/Grease for Track Pads?

Last time I ran my PFC-06's at the track, I had crazy squeaking noise. I know track pads squeal but this was really bad, to the point even when I wasn't on the brakes but just coasting to a stop it would squeal worse than a school bus. I suspect it had something to do with my rear rotors warping? In any case, those rotors eventually worn down and were replaced but I started thinking, should I bother applying some brake lube the next time around?
__________________
Active Autowerke | Supersprint | TC Kline | Ground Control | MFactory | Volks | Nitto

NASA NE TT5 #821

Last edited by 3002 tii; 06-09-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Erhan
Colonel
Erhan's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
2,466
Posts

Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Are those track pads? The reason for the squeal is that track pads have metal in them, so as your rotor. Metal on metal = squeal, unless you bed them in. But the problem is, even if you do proper bed-in, since the track pads are very abrasive at cold, they will remove all the pad deposit from the rotors, and you'll have metal on metal issue again.

ps: Sorry if I am stating the obvious.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
609
Rep
10,649
Posts

Drives: E86, E90, F25
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (84)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
Are those track pads? The reason for the squeal is that track pads have metal in them, so as your rotor. Metal on metal = squeal, unless you bed them in. But the problem is, even if you do proper bed-in, since the track pads are very abrasive at cold, they will remove all the pad deposit from the rotors, and you'll have metal on metal issue again.

ps: Sorry if I am stating the obvious.
Ha, yes I'm aware that track pads squeal. My 06's have always been squeaky but only when I apply pressure on the brakes. But last time around, even when I was NOT on the brakes, just coasting... it would squeal, and far louder than normal.
__________________
Active Autowerke | Supersprint | TC Kline | Ground Control | MFactory | Volks | Nitto

NASA NE TT5 #821
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
sabbanick
Lieutenant
9
Rep
505
Posts

Drives: 08 SBM M coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (1)

only thing i lube is my caliper guide pins, as I run the bimmerworld brass bushings

...no anti squeal for pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Erhan
Colonel
Erhan's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
2,466
Posts

Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Ha, yes I'm aware that track pads squeal. My 06's have always been squeaky but only when I apply pressure on the brakes. But last time around, even when I was NOT on the brakes, just coasting... it would squeal, and far louder than normal.
Do you have vibration under braking? Only other thing I can think of is if something is stuck between the pad and rotor.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
609
Rep
10,649
Posts

Drives: E86, E90, F25
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (84)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbanick View Post
only thing i lube is my caliper guide pins, as I run the bimmerworld brass bushings

...no anti squeal for pads.
Nick - you remember how bad the squeal was. When we rolled up to the club house for lunch everyone walked ahead of me because it was so embarrassing! haha

I"ll just apply paste to the caliper pins..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
Do you have vibration under braking? Only other thing I can think of is if something is stuck between the pad and rotor.
Nope, no vibrations. When I swapped back to street pads after coming home, squeal was gone. Only noticeable thing was my rear rotors had a lot of hot spots. Hopefully that had something to do with it because I just replaced those not too long ago.
__________________
Active Autowerke | Supersprint | TC Kline | Ground Control | MFactory | Volks | Nitto

NASA NE TT5 #821
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Caddyshk's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
2,004
Posts

Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

DSC on?
__________________
2006 Z4MC - #LL93158
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
609
Rep
10,649
Posts

Drives: E86, E90, F25
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (84)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
DSC on?
Even when coasting?
__________________
Active Autowerke | Supersprint | TC Kline | Ground Control | MFactory | Volks | Nitto

NASA NE TT5 #821
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
sabbanick
Lieutenant
9
Rep
505
Posts

Drives: 08 SBM M coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (1)

Yes I remember but use caliper grease or engine lube for caliper pins not anti squeel.it may not help though. My 01's are bad on the road ESP in traffic!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Caddyshk's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
2,004
Posts

Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Even when coasting?
If its on during lapping on a circuit with lots of transition it heats up the rear brakes to a point of no return...
__________________
2006 Z4MC - #LL93158
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
seank
enthusiast
seank's Avatar
35
Rep
1,692
Posts

Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sacramento, ca

iTrader: (4)

Track pads squeal more after being embedded more. They also squeal the loudest when they are colder. And squeal louder than that when they are colder and not pushed firm enough.

grease works a little but I quit wasting my time. Just enjoy the amazing power of a track pad.

I only have experience with pfc-01 and ht-10's.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
The HACK
Roger Murdock
The HACK's Avatar
518
Rep
4,699
Posts

Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2015 Fiat 500e
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Do not apply paste to caliper pin. They are not meant to be greased and adding ANY lubricant to the guide pins will result in them binding. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but the ONLY time they should be lubed is when applied in a solid guide like a brass guide. Then you need to clean them and lube them regularly.

Race pads squeal even when coasting when they've got a few events on them, when a few mm of material has been worn away and if one side of it is caught on the caliper carrier, causing the leading edge of the outboard pad to drag against the rotor even when the brake pedal is off. Japanese floating calipers usually use an aluminum or stainless steel "spring guide" in the carrier, but BMW carrier do not. One way to alleviate is to put anti-seize on the "ears" on the pad backing plate to prevent it from catching the caliper carrier.

Still, don't expect it to last long, and don't expect it to be completely quiet. Wear it like a badge of honor.
__________________
The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night! Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

-Roger Murdock
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
sabbanick
Lieutenant
9
Rep
505
Posts

Drives: 08 SBM M coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Do not apply paste to caliper pin. They are not meant to be greased and adding ANY lubricant to the guide pins will result in them binding. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but the ONLY time they should be lubed is when applied in a solid guide like a brass guide. Then you need to clean them and lube them regularly.

Race pads squeal even when coasting when they've got a few events on them, when a few mm of material has been worn away and if one side of it is caught on the caliper carrier, causing the leading edge of the outboard pad to drag against the rotor even when the brake pedal is off. Japanese floating calipers usually use an aluminum or stainless steel "spring guide" in the carrier, but BMW carrier do not. One way to alleviate is to put anti-seize on the "ears" on the pad backing plate to prevent it from catching the caliper carrier.

Still, don't expect it to last long, and don't expect it to be completely quiet. Wear it like a badge of honor.
Stock caliper guide bushings you are correct, but with Brass guide caliper guides installed it required maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
seank
enthusiast
seank's Avatar
35
Rep
1,692
Posts

Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sacramento, ca

iTrader: (4)

What sabbanick and the hack said.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:16 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST