ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Tekarbon CF mirrors installed.

Hi,

I just recieved my CF mirrors from Tekarbon yesterday, and could not be happier. The fit and finish is just outstanding, and they installed with no problem. I was able to do each side in about 20 minutes, and if anyone would like a writeup, please let me know. The best advice I can give you to remove the glass is to remove the cover on the bottom of the mirror, and use a flat head screw driver to turn the tab on the bottom. Forget going through the top of the mirror, it's a pain and you have a chance of scratching the paint.

I'd just like to thank Eric at Tekarbon for great service, super fast shipping, and an awesome product. I'm kind of prodding him to make more CF stuff for our cars, hopefully he'll bite! Next mod I'll be doing with Eric are the angel eyes with the insides of my headlights painted matte black. I'm just trying to figure out how I can ship him my headlights while having my car down for a few days. :/

Anyway, I really like the way the carbon leather dash on the inside of the car sort of wraps to the mirrors now. Let me know what you think!

I also had Stoptech front and rear kits installed recently, I'll have a writeup on those soon. Please check out my link below for pictures. Thanks!!

http://img686.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=005egw.jpg
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
Congrats Looking good, I love the Red Calipers
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

Diggin it!

I believe the song goes "oh you fancy, huh!"
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

So how hard were they to put on?
      12-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru View Post
So how hard were they to put on?
Thanks for the compliments everyone, the car is still a work in progress however!

They were very easy to put on. The only tools I needed were a 10 torx screwdriver, and a flat headed screwdriver. You remove the black panel on the bottom of your mirrors first (the easiest way to do this is fold your mirrors up, put your window down, and kind of work through the door as if you were sitting inside the car), it's held on with a single 10 torx screw. Once that's out, just stick a flat head screwdriver in a crack and pop the panel right out.

Next, look up inside the mirror and you'll see this little notch. (please note, that some writeups have you tilt the mirror glass down, and try to get at another notch that way. This is a real pita, and I HIGHLY recommend going at the notch in the base of the mirror. That way, you can't scratch the paint or break any glass). Stick the flat headed screwdriver in the notch (at the base of the mirror), and push to the right. It should move about 1/4 inch or so, and you'll kinda hear it unlock. The glass can then be removed from the motor base, and there is a plug, along with two wires attached to it. Remove all of these, and place the mirror to the side for the time being.

Next, remove the window motor by removing the three, 10 torx screws. Be kinda careful with the bottom of the three, as each one of them in both mirrors of mine were rusted. Take your time backing them out, as it would suck if you broke one off in there. Pull those three screws, and the motor comes right out. Unplug it of course.

Next, there are four more 10 torx screws that are attached to the mirror cover itself. Carefully pull those out, and the only thing holding on the covers now are a pair of plastic clamps. Kinda wiggle the cover a bit, and you can pop it right off.

Now, place the CF cover on, and do everything in reverse. When you get to the glass, just place it on the motor, and use your flat headed screw driver to push the notch back to the left. Once again, you'll hear it thunk and you're ready to go. It's all very easy, straight forward, and I was done in about 45 mins.

The only word of caution I have is to be careful tightening the screws back in. Everything in there is plastic, and it looks like it would be really easy to overtighten and crack something. I would just tighten until the screws are firm. I did it this way, and driving around today the mirrors were rock solid with no vibration.

Hope this helps!!!

Last edited by NickyC; 12-11-2010 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^ good info, thanks.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 01:52 AM   #7
boydgti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4m

looks great, but I cannt wait to see how the headlight turn out. I was thinking about the same mod and since our car are the same colour I wont need to visualize. Are U also going too get the LED strip to replace the orange turn signals in the headlights. Watch out CF can be highly additive lol. Any ideas how much the headlights will cost midus the shipping. Thaxs Boyd
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydgti View Post
looks great, but I cannt wait to see how the headlight turn out. I was thinking about the same mod and since our car are the same colour I wont need to visualize. Are U also going too get the LED strip to replace the orange turn signals in the headlights. Watch out CF can be highly additive lol. Any ideas how much the headlights will cost midus the shipping. Thaxs Boyd
Hi Boyd,

Thanks for the kind compliment! I'm not sure about the LED strip, quite honestly, I hadn't given it much thought. I think I'd need to see it in action before I went for it, because it does alter the look of the car quite a bit when it's on (at least imho). The orange turn signals are going to be cleared out at least, but I'll have to give the LED strip some thought.
I was given a quote by Eric on the headlights, but I don't want to give the exact quote out incase it was a special deal, introductory offer, etc. I will tell you however, that the price was fantastic, and much lower than I expected. Check out the Tekarbon website and ask for a quote. The only reason I have not sent the lights in as of now to be worked on, is that I need my car and cannot be without it for a week or so. If anyone would like to loan me their xenon headlights for a week or so, let me know and I'd compensate you to the tune of a couple hundred dollars (plus all shipping fees). This is for all those folks who might have put their cars away for the winter etc. PM me if you're interested in this arrangement.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
boydgti
First Lieutenant
Rep

Understandable, but u have too post pics when completed. Too bad U werent here I would lend U my lights since my baby will be asleep for a while.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydgti View Post
Understandable, but u have too post pics when completed. Too bad U werent here I would lend U my lights since my baby will be asleep for a while.
Hehe, no problem, thanks for the offer though! Pics will definitely be posted when the headlights are complete. I just have no idea when that will be unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Mirrors look sick man, I just ordered the CF Spoiler from them to put on my M

gonna order the mirrors probably some time in january, and then do my headlights before summer

after that i'll have every Tekarbon mod they offer for our M's :P hahaha

Let me know if you decide on the LED strips or not, i'm having the same debate right now too, i feel like LEDs are getting played out and they are just a fad...but when i see it on the newer AUDI's i think they look great...

Also loving the red calipers!
      12-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I agree LEDs are played out.
I liked them at first but think they should be left to Audi & Mercs.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
boydgti
First Lieutenant
Rep

Im think the same thing, LED overplayed. I even seen Lexes has it now.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

This looks AWESOME!!
I too, have an Imola Red roadster w/black wheels....(: and love the red/black look.

Went to Tekarbon's site and it states the mirror covers are out of stock....sent Tekarbon a note, requesting availability.

All the best -
      01-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #15
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Wow those look great! The red paint with the red calipers contrasting with the CF mirrrors and the black top. Sexy!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #16
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks for the continued kind compliments everybody, I really appreciate it!

Next mods up are the headlights from Tekarbon (just have to figure out how to be without my car for awhile), and I really want to get the Hamman rear CF diffuser. There's so little info out there about that piece however, I'd really like to know more about it before I plop down $1800. Anybody know of any detailed writeups with pictures in regards to that piece? Thanks!

I might also be swapping out the BBS CH wheels I have for the new BBS CH-Rs in matte black. Not quite sure though.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #17
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

My CF mirror covers just arrived!!!!
And CF kidney grilles from Turner Motorsport
And....CF splitter arriving soon!!!!
      02-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #18
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Nice Bruce, post some pics when they're all installed! I just bought the AC Schnitzer rear CF diffuser today, so we've both got the bug lol. I should have it in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #19
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Mirrors were ordered yesterday!
      02-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #20
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

nice! post pics all. these will be a future purchase of mine as i'm going for a carbon fiber theme on the car
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #21
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Nice Bruce, post some pics when they're all installed! I just bought the AC Schnitzer rear CF diffuser today, so we've both got the bug lol. I should have it in a few weeks.
Thanks!
I will - really looking fwd to Spring....it's been a wet Seattle winter. My ride is a daily driver, so it becomes the infamous gray-covered dirt color.
      02-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #22
Rolitto
Second Lieutenant
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: BMW

I look forward to get my hands on a pair of cabon fiber mirrors for my 2005 BMW Z4.
Appreciate 0