ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

just got the bavauto ashtray drop in aux/audio thing....

it comes with a nice little cable already attached with a plug at the end....question is, where does it go? i see no corresponding plug that will mate to it. advice?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

The cable plugs into the back of the radio
      07-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

thanx....easy install
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

So how do you get at the back of the radio?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Bump!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^giant bump here, but i just did this mod myself. was actually more straightforward than i'd thought! ashtray is actually made of soft touch material, feels better than the stock ashtray. then again, it is an ashtray.

1. remove old ashtray and remove single screw + washer.
2. gently wiggle the console piece (it's one entire piece with the dsc, heated seats, convertible buttons etc) side-to-side grasping at the empty hole. it will be helpful to remove the cigarette lighter.
3. once the console piece pops out (rear first, then front), thread the aux input cable through the huge opening where the ashtray sits and line the cable off to the right side directly under and slightly to the left of the cigarette lighter socket. thread the rest of the long cable into the actual dashboard itself.
4. using a flathead screwdriver, pry open the plastic cover directly underneath the hvac controls. using ur left hand (right hand doesn't seem to work for this diy), reach down and grab (so to speak) the aux cable head.
5. the actual seating of the socket is the bottom left corner of the radio head unit when u're staring straight at it. using ur left hand again (right hand will not fit), grasp the socket with the clip on top and the whole piece facing u and reach into and behind the radio head unit and seat the socket into the back. there is a noticeable seating area and u will feel a satisfying click when the socket is properly seated.
6. turn on radio and test!

voila! 10 minutes tops. this will not work if u have a 6-cd changer or satellite radio plugged into where the aux input would go.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Nuge Design
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 AW CP

Very helpful

I just installed the AUX input and r4gs' directions are right on the money — with some added commentary below... sorry, no pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
^giant bump here, but i just did this mod myself. was actually more straightforward than i'd thought! ashtray is actually made of soft touch material, feels better than the stock ashtray. then again, it is an ashtray.

Yep. Easy.

2. gently wiggle the console piece (it's one entire piece with the dsc, heated seats, convertible buttons etc) side-to-side grasping at the empty hole. it will be helpful to remove the cigarette lighter.
I wasn't sure how all the buttons for dsc, heated seats, convertible, etc. were connected so I was taking it very easy to begin with. I was able to lift up the console enough to see there was a large, sturdy single harness and connector that all those buttons are wired into. After seeing that, I gave the console a good yank and it popped out. THIS IS IMPORTANT. I then removed the plastic cover directly underneath the hvac controls (see r4gs' step 4). That made fishing the cable much easier once I had the console out of the way.

3. once the console piece pops out (rear first, then front), thread the aux input cable through the huge opening where the ashtray sits and line the cable off to the right side directly under and slightly to the left of the cigarette lighter socket. thread the rest of the long cable into the actual dashboard itself.
The position of the AUX cable is hugely important. Put it in the wrong place and the console may appear to fit, but the ash tray door won't latch. I was able to thread the AUX cable under the console on the left side of where the ash tray sits and grab the connector end through the open panel under the hvac controls. With both hands I guided the cable under the far right side of where the ash tray sits as r4gs suggests. I was thrown a little by the reference "slightly to the left of the cigarette lighter socket". There is a space slightly to the left of the cig lighter, but on my car that space is too small. Keep the cable under the far right side of the ashtray.

4. using a flathead screwdriver, pry open the plastic cover directly underneath the hvac controls. using ur left hand (right hand doesn't seem to work for this diy), reach down and grab (so to speak) the aux cable head.
5. the actual seating of the socket is the bottom left corner of the radio head unit when u're staring straight at it. using ur left hand again (right hand will not fit), grasp the socket with the clip on top and the whole piece facing u and reach into and behind the radio head unit and seat the socket into the back. there is a noticeable seating area and u will feel a satisfying click when the socket is properly seated.
4,5 and 6 worked as r4gs indicated. Use the supplied, slightly longer screw to hold the ashtray in place.

voila! 10 minutes tops. this will not work if u have a 6-cd changer or satellite radio plugged into where the aux input would go.
Hats of to r4gs for the instructions and for getting it done in 10 minutes! Took me more like an hour, but it works great and is worth every penny. A must do mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

^thanks! it is a very simply plug-and-play diy, although $68 for the oem part is a bit rich.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

I just got ashtray/aux input piece and am looking to install it today. Everything sounds pretty straight forward. Did you both disconnect the heated seats/DSC plug when pulling the console out? You said you gave the console a good yank....I guess I'll understand when I see it.

Other than that, the directions make it seem pretty easy to do.

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

^no disconnecting of any cables tt power dsc/heated seats is required.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, I got everything apart and I was sitting in the passenger seat, trying to feel around on the back of the radio and I didn't feel any open port....there wasn't much to feel for.....could something be plugged in already? I don't have a 6 disc changer, but I do have NAV.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post

I want to thank you both for it, but mine needed some additions....

#3, my console actually has no clips up front, and the "hangars" that look like half-moons are actually on the rear (facing it) So, after you remove the screw, you pull the front of the console up and swing the rear down. The half moons fit into two slots that you'll see. When you reinstall the console, you have to make sure those two "half-moons" fit into those two slots, fit the rear underneath the trim and push down on the front of the console.

I went ahead and removed the front vents, which took some time, but wasn't too tough. Close the vents, and move both center slides to the middle. You will hardly see two tabs (they are painted black, which through my multiple trials of pushing them down, chipped them so they are silver again). Credit cards weren't thick enough, but once you get those tabs staying down, you can pull the vents forward. Two silver screws and the radio pulls out. I found a plug in the slot that I needed. Once I removed the plug (there is a tab that you push down that will allow the plug to be removed) the plug from the aux/ashtray is exactly the same kind and slides right in.

Reinstalled everything and hit "Mode" until I saw the Aux function....I chewed up my left hand reaching behind there, so if you are unfamiliar, removing the vent and pulling the radio may be easier for you to understand how everything is supposed to fit.

Just my $.02.....if I had to do it again, I'd have it done in 20 minutes. Took me an hour after all was said and done. Make sure you use the new screw that comes with the aux/ashtray.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

^glad my instructions were of some help, however limited. i was contemplating going the air vents and removing the radio route, but i was able to maneuver my hand and wrist to slot the connector in-place.

what was the other connector that was occupying the slot originally? it's either sat radio or cd changer.

Last edited by r4gs; 04-25-2011 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You're instructions were fine. Had there been nothing plugged into the slot, I'm sure it would have taken me a couple minutes to get it in there.

I have no clue what the plug is for...I don't have satellite radio or a cd changer.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #15
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

^interesting. inconsequential either way.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I wish I did this two years ago when I bought the car.....love having my iPod music in the car now! Don't have to have all those CDs.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #17
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

where can this device be purchased?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #18
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I bought mine from the dealer....was around $70. But easy to install and well worth it to me.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #19
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola RED dIrTy Z4MR - SOLD

bought mine from bavauto few months ago as well...great mod!
simple 30mins...loving it with my mp3 player
RPI scoop|BMC drop in filter|EAS V1 aluminum mount|ZHP shiftknob|RHO plate holder|matte black grill|LED interior & license plate light|RE SSK|RE tranny mount|UUC engine mount|Bavarian CDV|clutch stop|18" Forgestar CF5 GOLD|RPI exhaust|H&R coilovers| RE RSM|
coming soon: aFe intake|tune|secondary cat delete|
Appreciate 0