ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-09-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
M-Zed-4
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver Z4 M Coupe

My M Coupe is DEAD Please Read

Hello,
Some of you might remember me from a while ago I previously owned one of the most beautiful cars ever created. The M coupe.

It was my magical unicorn haha, unlike anything I had ever owned. However I decided to make an irresponsible and irreversible mistake. I took it out one night on the canyon roads... tires cold + fog/mist = disaster. I was taking my first couple of turns when I realized the next corner was a long swooping left and I was coming in too hot to make it around. I immediately let off the gas and eased on the brakes so as not to make a panic stop and slide right off the road... It didn't work. on that specific turn there was dirt and the m just started to plow right off the side of the road. This is when I flew off the embankment and landed on the dirt. Of course the car continued to proceed forward, due to all the momentum and inertia of the car. As luck had it, there happened to be a 60 foot ravine in front of me. There was no where to go and I thought this would be the end of my life... What a way to go... I was 20 years old and this happened to be the first car in my life that I was able to lease on my own. as I hit the lip of the ravine I saw the short life, only 2 decades, I had lived in a flash (I know it sounds a little cliche but that is truly what happened). The car did not roll roll horizontally, instead once the car hit that lip the front end went straight down flipped vertically. The last thing I saw was the ground coming closer until impact occurred at which point the car landed on the roof. With just me in the car on a dark road which no one travels the adrenaline pumping through my body was unbelievable. I immediately took off my seat belt, kicked the passenger window out and climbed out of the car. It was at that point that I realized I was still alive. It was then that the car called an emergency dispatcher and while the car was upside down I was next to it trying to explain where I was... The car was totaled and my heart was beating an unbearable rate and consuming the silence with an unappreciated noise that even today I will never forget.

I guess you can look at this situation from 2 different opinions. one being that the car is responsible for doing this too me. Which is true in a way. However I was the one who was supposed to be in control of the vehicle and I am the one who decided to go on that road in the first place. Or you could make the assertion that the car in fact saved my life. I should have been dead or worse paralyzed and a vegetable. But as it turns out there was not a broken bone in my body. I had a bruise from the seat belt and a couple of cuts on my hands from squeezing out of the passenger window. That was it. This experience has taught me a lot. I still speed but i am cautious as to where I do it. My mentality was always, "That will never happen to me, those people are idiots. They f*%$#d up, but I wont." That's not true, and it will happen to you if you don't pay attention and use your head. Discernible thinking is what differentiates us from all other animals, therefore we should use it to our advantage... Anyways I'm done ranting and I hope someone will listen to this message, even one is better than none.
P.S. I'm sorry I posted this twice I didn't mean to post it on the other thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

That is one of the worst wrecks ive ever seen, lucky ur ok. Defiantly a good car if it keeps you well protected.

I know your probably crushed on the inside so i hope you dont get too many lectures from people who do the same thing all the time.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:22 AM   #3
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by The__J__Factor View Post
That is one of the worst wrecks ive ever seen, lucky ur ok. Defiantly a good car if it keeps you well protected.

I know your probably crushed on the inside so i hope you dont get too many lectures from people who do the same thing all the time.
X2... you are lucky to be alive my friend, it is just a car... thank god you weren't in a roadster, you probably would not be here now. i'm guessing you were where you belt? again, your alive, that is all that matters...on a positive not, there are still a few coupes on the lots... by dealer has an 07 red coupe they can't move... two years on their floor, you could steal it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
louz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 Roadster

What a shame. She was a beauty. There will be other cars. You're O.K. and cars can be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

Quote:
I guess you can look at this situation from 2 different opinions. one being that the car is responsible for doing this too me. Which is true in a way.

i am glad you are ok dude. but can you please explain this comment to me? you chose to drive the car on a dangerous road. you chose to drive the car too hard on a dangerous road. you chose to do this dangerous driving on the stock continental tires which are no good. you are to blame, you operate the car.
      10-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Thanks for sharing the story and the pics. It's much easier than most think to have a car like yours get away from you. As someone else has said on another forum, "Respect the M." Of course, the car was not at fault in any way and, in fact, saved your life and limbs.

Count yourself lucky to be alive and uninjured. Your experience is a lesson for all of us.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

i bet you are happy u didn't have a roadster

wow...

glad ur ok!
      10-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #8
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Wow...

A couple things I gotta say. The first is that you should call BMW and thank them for building a car that kept you alive when you shouldn't be. Although I'm not so sure that if you had a passenger in the car they'd be walking right now.

Second is that I gotta agree with Black///M. In no way is the car to blame from what you've told us. You decided to go for a drive on a canyon road in limited visibility and you were driving too fast.

Glad you're ok, and thanks for sharing the story with us. Hopefully some other people will learn from your mistakes. I'm sure you have.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
holy crap, glad you are OK. and dont sweat it, that's what insurance is for. you're alive and well and cars can always be replaced, lives cannot. hopefully you learned a valuable lesson
      10-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Wow...

A couple things I gotta say. The first is that you should call BMW and thank them for building a car that kept you alive when you shouldn't be. Although I'm not so sure that if you had a passenger in the car they'd be walking right now.

Second is that I gotta agree with Black///M. In no way is the car to blame from what you've told us. You decided to go for a drive on a canyon road in limited visibility and you were driving too fast.

Glad you're ok, and thanks for sharing the story with us. Hopefully some other people will learn from your mistakes. I'm sure you have.
I never thought I would completely agree with you in anything hahaha, but here, 100%. to even consider blaming the car is ignorant. and no offense, this is why 20 year old irresponsible kids shouldn't have nice super powerful cars. reminds me of the story of the kid on the m5 forums. asking everyone for help on how to properly setup the M mode, and then a week later is found dead with 4 friends in the m5 after he was going crazy fast on some road and went over the embankment and wrapped himself around a tree.

im all about pushin gmy car to the edge, but in the appropriate safe setting. im only 23, thank god im not as ignorant as others my age...
      10-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///M View Post

i am glad you are ok dude. but can you please explain this comment to me? you chose to drive the car on a dangerous road. you chose to drive the car too hard on a dangerous road. you chose to do this dangerous driving on the stock continental tires which are no good. you are to blame, you operate the car.
+1
Lucky you're alive to tell this story, but with paper plates, it looks like you were just getting to know the car, and a dark, dangerous canyon is not the place to test the limits of a car.

I hope this experience will serve you well in the future.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #12
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Zed-4 View Post
Hey man, your left side red parking reflector is out, you should probably take that into the dealer to get it looked at.
      10-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Hey man, your left side red parking reflector is out, you should probably take that into the dealer to get it looked at.
hahaha, you bastard. when i read that i spit out my coffee all over my desk hahahahahaa
      10-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Glad you're okay and alive to tell the story. The M can be replaced (and hopefully you didn't put much downpayment).

And to everyone else who thinks the OP is ignorant, I honestly don't see how you can call him out for being ignorant. From his post I think he's shown more maturity than most 20 year olds that I know. Heck he sounds more mature than some 30 year olds that I know. I don't think it's out of line to say the car's (slightly) partially responsible. Obviously the majority of the fault falls onto the driver. But the M's rear end can slide out pretty easily and will penalize you if you don't know what you're doing. You certainly won't mistaken the car for a mid-engine Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #15
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

jesus. glad your ok. you look pretty shaken in the picture.

id say i drive my car pretty responsible for a 20 year old also.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #16
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
Glad you're okay and alive to tell the story. The M can be replaced (and hopefully you didn't put much downpayment).

And to everyone else who thinks the OP is ignorant, I honestly don't see how you can call him out for being ignorant. From his post I think he's shown more maturity than most 20 year olds that I know. Heck he sounds more mature than some 30 year olds that I know. I don't think it's out of line to say the car's (slightly) partially responsible. Obviously the majority of the fault falls onto the driver. But the M's rear end can slide out pretty easily and will penalize you if you don't know what you're doing. You certainly won't mistaken the car for a mid-engine Porsche.
well, if you know the rear end can slide out pretty easily, should you be gunning it up a cannon run at night like he was?
      10-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #17
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///M View Post
well, if you know the rear end can slide out pretty easily, should you be gunning it up a cannon run at night like he was?

Which part of the majority of the fault falls onto the driver did you not understand?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #18
BMWJZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Fiat 500 Sport

damn..as long as your ok..cars can be replaced
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #19
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

1. Thank God and BMW that your alive and healthy.
2. Never do anything (a) you or (b) the car can't do; you violated (a).
3. Thanks for the post and being mature enough to recognize your error, even though you did hedge on accepting responsibility.
4. The car is an inanimate object; it was entirely your decision, it is entirely your responsibility.
5. Thank God and BMW that your alive and healthy.
6. It is "just a car" when you look at the big picture. Live goes on and you've got all your (working) body parts to enjoy it with.
7. You're lucky that your "mistake" only involved you, the situation could have been slightly different and you could have killed/seriously injured others.
8. As has been mentioned many times on these forums, high performance driving starts and ultimately ends with the driver, the car is a secondary consideration. Refer to comment 2.
9. Hopefully you've learned a lesson, but there is a payment due on it: Share your lesson with others and just maybe, you might save someone else from being seriously injured or killed.
10. Thank God and BMW that your alive and healthy.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #20
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
Which part of the majority of the fault falls onto the driver did you not understand?
the majority part...
      10-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #21
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Wow glad you are ok, but it totally sucks that this happened before you even got your plate
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #22
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

What a story. I'm glad you are ok. Like others said the high build quality of your car probably saved your life. Don't feel too bad. Your situation sucks but it's the risk we take when we drive a car, any car that is. You got stuck driving incorrectly in less than ideal conditions and suffered for it but at least you are alive.

Cheers.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0