ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
usmcspud
Rep
Drives: 99 z3 m roadster

re-programming SMG

I have a 2003 z4 3.0i with SMG.
All was well until a local railroad crossing apparently shifted. Hit underneath the car pretty damned hard.
The car has sat for several months and I finally have enough money set aside to work on it.
I have the car up on stands today and looking underneath I do not see anything obvious.
I do have a significant valve cover oil leak as well as a coolant leak. I will take care of those first while I am trying to figure this SMG problem out. So of course their are drops of fluid all over the SMG solenoids underneath.
The first code that pops up on my Peake reader is 299A. According to the Peake literature that translates to "Error Management ECS". Is that the same as the transmission control module? After researching my Bentley manual for "3 series", that's the only thing I can figure out it is.
Any thoughts? Suggestions?
What color is the fluid in an SMG?
What specific programming software do I need to acquire for this Transmission? And where do I get it?
Thanks for any help.
Oh, I am in central California in Merced.
Thanks again.
Dennis

I forgot to add, the symptoms I am experiencing are that the transmission no longer shifts up to 4th gear.
Otherwise it responds properly.
i

Last edited by usmcspud; 09-26-2017 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: add info.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
joelselman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4, 2001 530

smg hydraulic fluid starts out clear (oily) but will get a darker tinge with age. If you remove the shield on the side of the trans covering the smg reservoir you can check the fluid level. If I recall, it takes pentosin ch11. Adding is not difficult, but obviously you need to determine source of leak and if the system has ingested air, it will need to be bled. Bleeding (and depressurizing for repairs) is supposed to require a bmw dis type computer. I bought a Chinese knock-off many years ago for about $1200. off ebay which has worked well. I would expect you should be getting a code for a trans issue. Is the trans warning light on? BTW, are you saying the trans works perfectly in first through third?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
usmcspud
Rep

Thankyou for the info.
Yes the Tranny light is on.
Yes, the tranny works perfectly 1st thru 3rd.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
joelselman
Private
Rep

Never had that kind of problem with mine. I'm guessing that if 1-3 is good, pump and fluid is not the issue...it's the same pump and fluid for all gears. You definitely should have a code if the light is on. A WAG would be the trans computer, a gear selector solenoid/actuator, or internal trans (mechanical) problem. This doesn't sound like a typical problem...I've never heard of it and it may be difficult to diagnose. It's also puzzling that the problem didn't start until the RR track but you say there's no sign of physical damage. Not sure what to suggest at this point.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
joelselman
Private
Rep

Hey, it won't shift into 4th....automatically? Same with paddles?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
usmcspud
Rep

I haven't removed anything yet.
Is there supposed to be an underbody shield over the solenoid assembly and pump?
It is exposed completely.
There is a lot of oil present all over the components with old drops still clinging.
I'm not sure if it is blow-back from the valve cover leak.
I can see the lower edge of the reservoir.
I will attempt to add a photo or two and try to gain access farther up to check the reservoir.
I do remember that I parked it by the curb after the hit and found a grey oil puddle after I put it in the garage. At that time, I just chalked that up to a neighbor's car that usually parked there.
Are there any more current computer software available for connecting to the system for the de-pressurizing/re-coding?
I have tried different Bimmer forums, Google, etc. I see references to INPA, NCSExpert, and others.
But as far as locating a source and tutorials, that info is eother several years old, or WAY above my computer ability. Also, some of them are in a foreign language.
I am very grateful for your help, Sir.
I will add more info as I progress.
My code reader is a Peake. Regrettably it doesn't read the codes from the tranny. Just the 299A that translates to "Error Management EGS".
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
usmcspud
Rep

Just saw your last.
Correct, not in automatic, either.
Paddles stopped working shortly after I got the car. But that was a few thousand miles before this problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #8
joelselman
Private
Rep

In my mind, if the unit worked ok in auto but paddles wouldn't work, it can't be anything in the hydraulic or actuator system because the actual shifting, weather in auto or by paddles, is done by the same components. Almost leads you to a trans control module (TCM) by default but obviously I'm just guessing. There's one on ebay for $50 and one for $300 but I think you might need a computer to code the tcm to your car. Looks like the E46 and E85 SMG TCM's are the same but the programming of the tcm itself could be different. I'm sure it will be different if the axle ratio and/or trans gear ratios differ. I think you should sell me the car cheap so that I'll have a winter project to keep me out of the bars.

Last edited by joelselman; 09-28-2017 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #9
usmcspud
Rep

Well, I appreciate your help.
I found a site that offers free downloads of diagnostic and coding software, but I'm not certain which ones are what I need.
Sorry, won't sell it. It's MY project. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
joelselman
Private
Rep

I recently (june) purchased a 3.07 diff for my 3.0i that came (I think) from a Z4 in florida. As I recall, your car has a 3.07 but that ratio might be std in the auto also. Car might be an smg. If so, the tcm might work. Let me know if you want me to dig up the junkyard name.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #11
usmcspud
Rep

Sure. I would appreciate that.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #12
joelselman
Private
Rep