ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
nobrakese28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Introduction and Camshaft bolt failure question on 2008 Z4MC

Hey guys,

First time posting in this forum. I have been a long time BMW lover, I started with 1987 E28 535is when I was 18. A few years later I got myself into an E36 318i, within a few years I did the S50 swap.

I have always done my own work and even worked at a very reputable BMW performance shop in Southern California for a few years.

I fell in love with the M-Coupe a few years ago when I saw it on a billboard. Does anyone have photos of Z4M billboard advertisements (well that's beside the point).

Once I finished school and got myself a job. It was time to get a nice car with A/C and all the amenities. After driving my brothers E46 M3 I knew I had to have a S54 powered car. I really loved the way the S54 looked and sounded.

So my choice came down to an E46 M3 or an E86/E85 Z4M. I just couldn't find a E46 M3 with a 6 SPD, and after doing some thinking I didn't want to deal with the squeaks of a convertible (although some days I wish I would have gotten one).

I found a really clean 2008 Z4M Coupe in Space Gray with only 46K miles. The car had/has the black on black interior. The car also had an RPI exhaust, intake scoop, BMI filter,and skid plates. I bought it two days later.

I absolutely love the car. I had a few months of warranty and had the dealer do a good amount of service before the warranty/maintenance expired.

This included:
Engine Oil change
Transmission Oil Change
Differential Oil Change
Wipers
Valve Adjustment
Oil Pressure Valve replacement
Power steering leak fix (I never noticed it)
Front rotors and pads ($$$$$)
Gas Cap replacement
Fixed the gas door actuator lock
Fixed a loose headlight

Well now onto the question. I was reading about problems with the S54, specifically the camshaft bolt failures. Was this ever addressed on the Z4M cars in the factory? My car has about 53K miles with no issues so far. Just curious if I should prepare to replace the bolts in the near future. I did some searching and didn't find any cases on a 2008 Z4M, just 2006 and maybe one 2007.

Thanks,

Marco V
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

New or upgraded camshaft bolts were added in MY07 (not sure exactly when, couldn't find it on a quick search). Since you're is an 08, in theory yours should be fine (although I recall one person with new bolts couldn't find a trace of loctite and replaced the bolts and used loctite. The other issue our cars share with all S54s are the exhaust hub tabs.

Couple of DIY threads on replacing them on this board, here's one and here's another. As you know, timing the S54 is a PITA and requires special BMW tools, but with your background it's probably just another DIY for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
nobrakese28
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply! Wow that tab issue is a bummer.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Welcome!

Are u Marco V the tech/trance Dj?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Welcome! Do check the exhaust hub tabs if you ever pop open the valve cover for anything. I ended up replacing the cam bolts just recently after I popper her open for exhaust inspection
Luckily my tabs were still in good condition. I'll probably get around to checking once every 1.5-2 years or so, depending on severity of use of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
nobrakese28
Private First Class
Rep

Yes. Yes I am the famous DJ. JK!!! Thanks for the replies!
Appreciate 0