ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
View Poll Results: For GB members only - COATING by DKF yes or no?
Yes, I want coating option by DKF 8 38.10%
No, I want them uncoated 13 61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

04-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #155
GriffBrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I agree.
I dont think there is much doubt that headers would be the best solution.

I'll probably run this way for a while myself to see what it's like.
I thought you were installing Fabspeed headers. You're supposed to be my guinea pig!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #156
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffBrew View Post
I thought you were installing Fabspeed headers. You're supposed to be my guinea pig!
lol....
I'm curious too....
I want to see what eliminating section 1 CATs is like
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #157
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1 View Post
I'm in.

300 cell, coated. Definite. gearhead1

I'm going to pair these up with the fruits of another GB (Stromung exhaust) and run 'em for awhile before I pull the trigger on headers. This takes away a few headaches I've had around the O2 relocation, etc.
Updated.

For coating just note it at time of payment
I will be posting instructions when the GB closes.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #158
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

I looked up the NitroPlate coatings and it looks like they have 4 different coatings, but only 3 of them are offered here.

Would it be possible to get the Satin Black coating? I like that one best (and it would match the coating on my headers better).
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #159
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb View Post
I looked up the NitroPlate coatings and it looks like they have 4 different coatings, but only 3 of them are offered here.

Would it be possible to get the Satin Black coating? I like that one best (and it would match the coating on my headers better).
It's a new release from them that has just become available.
Yes... you can order that color.
I will amend the choices.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #160
SyruSur
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I'm in.

300 cell, Definite.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #161
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Less than 72 hours left on this guys for a super nice piece of engineering. If your on the fence it is time to jump on your horse and get signed up!

This is my 2006 Roadster with AA headers and ReDiablo cans. Stock secondarys and stock x-pipe. I know that sound will be even better with the 300 racing cats and the smoother flowing exhaust. Thinking of going DKF all the way back on the coupe. Best mod I made on the roadster. CEL light was an issue with this setup even with ESS tune. The DKF s-pipe has shown to eliminate this issue w/o software tuning. Wish I would of had access to it when I had the roady. A no brainer for my coupe at this price...

2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings

Last edited by mousitch; 05-02-2013 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #162
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

So this setup gives you the ability to swap the CAT and Resonator at will correct? Is there a bung for the O2 sensors on the resonators?

My thoughts are that if you relocate your O2 sensors to the DKF section 1 CAT, then decide to put the resonators in, need to attach the O2 sensors somewhere. Wouldn't want to have to re route them back up to the front.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #163
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Yes. You can replace resonators and cars at will. Most that run aftermarket headers will just run the cats. I'm going to run my oem headers for a bit with resonators and stock o2 setup. No bungs in resonators. Believe it was a space issue. More than likely running bungs in resonators would throw a code on your sensors if no cat anyway.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #164
Blind32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Yes. You can replace resonators and cars at will. Most that run aftermarket headers will just run the cats. I'm going to run my oem headers for a bit with resonators and stock o2 setup. No bungs in resonators. Believe it was a space issue. More than likely running bungs in resonators would throw a code on your sensors if no cat anyway.
I see. My concern is if I swap to resonators, what do I do with the Post O2 sensors? Just disconnect them? or do I need to route them back to the Headers? I understand I'll throw a code for not having cats but what if the Post O2 sensors aren't connected at all to the harness?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #165
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm also bummed out about this. I don't really care for the resonators. I'd rather have straight pipes with bungs on them, so that if the O2s are already relocated you can just plug them in. Like this setup:
http://www.vacmotorsports.com/catalo...-section-1.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #166
GriffBrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm also bummed out about this. I don't really care for the resonators. I'd rather have straight pipes with bungs on them, so that if the O2s are already relocated you can just plug them in. Like this setup:
http://www.vacmotorsports.com/catalo...-section-1.htm
Seems like this would be an instant CEL, right? In that case, why not remove the sensors altogether. Maybe I'm missing something.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #167
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Seems like this would be an instant CEL, right? In that case, why not remove the sensors altogether. Maybe I'm missing something.
Yep. After about 100 miles. CEL
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #168
GriffBrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thinking of going DKF all the way back on the coupe.
Yeah, me too. Wish we had pricing. Really debating the Stromung cans group buy going on now.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #169
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Yes you will definitely get a CEL when running without CATs.
I never understood the reason for bungs in a straight piece for that reason.

If you intend to swap pieces in & out you should really think about extensions with connectors.
The regular harness just makes it to the the back location. .....there won't be much slack to play with.
The LAST thing you should be doing is taking the sensors out by allowing the wires to twist while undoing.

To me it's far better to have connectors and just leave the sensors in the CATs when you remove them.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #170
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, me too. Wish we had pricing. Really debating the Stromung cans group buy going on now.
I hear ya...
If its anything like this GB pricing, it will be worth the wait though.
I really like the idea of a complete, flow designed system from front to rear.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #171
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Uncovered the car tonight and started it up in the garage - 5 month hibernation - neighbors running around; what the hell did you just start? Fabspeed Headers & DKF section 1 not even installed yet WTF?
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #172
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

I for one really like the ability to swap between cats and resonators. With aftermarket headers and exhaust, it's hard to know what type of noise the entire system will make with cats vs resonators. This setup give you the option to experiment. I have catless headers and ESS supercharger. The tune turns off CEL for catless application. I will be just "plugging" the o2 bung on the S pipe. I can't wait to see some flames out of the exhaust with just the resonators on the S pipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #173
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerZ32 View Post
I for one really like the ability to swap between cats and resonators. With aftermarket headers and exhaust, it's hard to know what type of noise the entire system will make with cats vs resonators. This setup give you the option to experiment. I have catless headers and ESS supercharger. The tune turns off CEL for catless application. I will be just "plugging" the o2 bung on the S pipe. I can't wait to see some flames out of the exhaust with just the resonators on the S pipe.
Flames= awesome

I want flames......
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #174
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep. After about 100 miles. CEL
I don't know why everyone is getting caught up about a CEL. Any tune can easily turn off the CEL.

The point of having the bungs in the resonators (or in straight pipes), is that it makes it easy to swap between cats and catless. Having to reroute the O2 sensors every time you want to do a swap is the biggest pain in the ass ever. You're essentially going to avoid ever wanting to swap between cats and catless because of that.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #175
GriffBrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know why everyone is getting caught up about a CEL. Any tune can easily turn off the CEL.

The point of having the bungs in the resonators (or in straight pipes), is that it makes it easy to swap between cats and catless. Having to reroute the O2 sensors every time you want to do a swap is the biggest pain in the ass ever. You're essentially going to avoid ever wanting to swap between cats and catless because of that.
People get caught up in the CEL because they either need it off for emissions testing or want it off normally so that when it does come on, they know it's a different issue than headers.

For people who don't care about the light (ignore it or detune it, like yourself), I don't know why they get caught up in relocating sensors at all. Just remove them completely. Your tune fixes it, so you have zero reason to ever need the bungs.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #176
Blind32
United_States
Rep

Sorry, didn't mean to derail thread

Quote:
This was my concern. Hit the nail on the head. Would be easiest to screw O2 sensors into resonator/straight pipe. If I had them disconnected, then I'd have a unhooked connector flopping around under my car that could get dirt/water in it. I dont' mind a temporary CEL while I'm out having "loud fun mode" catless .

Group buy closes tomorrow at midnight right?
Appreciate 0