ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #45
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

I would also love to have an Exige S Roadster with supercharged v6... too bad it'll never make it here.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #46
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

The e89 35is is a pretty heavy car (1500kg), almost 100kg heavier than the z4m (which is already pretty heavy). It is not a sporty car imho (especially compared what you have on your list like the ariel atom). It's more of a cruiser type of car; I don't know if that's what you're looking for. That it doesn't come with an m badge.... do you really care? An aston martin or ariel atom doesn't come with a badge either; it's just a $5 piece of plastic. It's the final product that counts.

Can't you just import an exige s roadster, or buy an imported one? (there are probably companies that do that)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-19-2013 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #47
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK
The e89 35is is a pretty heavy car (1500kg), almost 100kg heavier than the z4m (which is already pretty heavy). It is not a sporty car imho (especially compared what you have on your list like the ariel atom). It's more of a cruiser type of car; I don't know if that's what you're looking for. That it doesn't come with an m badge.... do you really care? An aston martin or ariel atom doesn't come with a badge either; it's just a $5 piece of plastic. It's the final product that counts.

Can't you just import an exige s roadster, or buy an imported one? (there are probably companies that do that)
You don't think the E89 35is is a sporty car? Have you driven one?!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #48
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

This has been a fascinating read for me as I feel like I'm sort of in the same boat. I love my Z4 MR. It's my first mid-life crisis car, and I thought I'd hang on to it for 15+ years until I either handed it down to my son (or daughter?!), or maybe moved on to something else. But after just one and a half summers, I'm starting to wonder if I should start to look around. I love much about the MR, especially after adding Apex EC-7 wheels, RPI exhaust, the short shifter and CDV delete. My wife is actually encouraging me to hang on to the car, but I'm starting to get a wandering eye. I want many of the same things you're looking for - manual tranny, convertible, good looks, good sound, lightweight, fun to drive, etc.

I've not driven ANYTHING else besides the C6 Vette, as I fell in love with the Z4 pretty quick. But based on looks and reviews alone I would choose one of the following:

- New Boxster; I'm not sure it has the muscle car feel I seek but it does seem to have good looks and great handling. Sucks that it doesn't have a manual tranny.

- Aston Martin Vantage; looks awesome, and a little less vanilla than the Jaguar F-type. Just not sure about long term reliability and local serviceability (sp?) of an Aston Martin.

- Jaguar F-type; styling is just a bit too bland for me, but overall it seems to meet many requirements. Not sure I can walk around saying I own a "Jaguar" though, and they have a reputation for being very unreliable.

Let us know what you decide on!

Last edited by strokeoluck; 06-20-2013 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #49
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
OP, not sure if you've considered the audi R8 (bit above your pricing right now but will come down)

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #50
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeoluck View Post
- New Boxster; I'm not sure it has the muscle car feel I seek but it does seem to have good looks and great handling. Sucks that it doesn't have a manual tranny.
I assume you mean the new Jag F-Type right? All past and current Boxsters have a manual transmission available...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #51
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepittrill View Post
You don't think the E89 35is is a sporty car?
Definately less sporty than a z4m (or a boxster, ariel atom (not that I've driven one) etc).
Also the heavier a car gets, it starts to feel less 'nimble'.

I think the already mentioned alfa 4c will be a really awesome car. Very beautiful. I don't know if it'll come as a roadster, and being all carbon, if you get any damage it'll be really painful (financially).
Just as lotusses; they are very easily financially totaled. The body panels are very expensive afaik.

Maybe a Wiesmann is the ideal car? Probably too expensive, but maybe used? BMW tech, awesome to look at, awesome to drive etc.
Sadly no manual available anymore.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-20-2013 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #52
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I assume you mean the new Jag F-Type right? All past and current Boxsters have a manual transmission available...
Yup, my bad on the Porsche transmission statement. I thought Porsche went to all PDK.

As for the e89 3.5 Z4, I test drove one last summer when I was thinking about buying new. It's a beautiful car, in fact I like the looks of the e89 Z4 better than my '07 Z4; and I also like the hardtop. But from a driving standpoint it just struck me as too refined for my taste. Doesn't mean someone else is wrong for liking it more than the prior generation Z.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #53
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
You don't think the E89 35is is a sporty car? Have you driven one?!
Compared to some of the cars on the list? Are you kidding me?

The E89 35is is a sporty car. Compared to a Camry.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #54
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

Yeah, you'd really have to drive one... I know its fun to get stuck on all the cruising comments, but placed in Sport+, manual mode, the claims of its shortcomings go right out the window.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #55
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK

You've gotta be kidding me...SgtGigglebox has one, so I'll let him tell you the specs. I have, however, driven one. It's pretty good. And he's right, even my E89 gets WAY sportier in sport+ and manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #56
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I don't think anyone is saying the E89 isn't "sporty". But, compared to an Atom or Lotus? Then by comparison it's not--then again neither is a E85. Weight being the biggest issue and purpose/focus being second.

Does that mean it's not sporty or fun to drive? Hell no.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #57
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

How about a BMW Z8? Still cool after all these years. Not sure if you can find one in your price range or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #58
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan
I don't think anyone is saying the E89 isn't "sporty". But, compared to an Atom or Lotus? Then by comparison it's not--then again neither is a E85. Weight being the biggest issue and purpose/focus being second.

Does that mean it's not sporty or fun to drive? Hell no.
He was comparing the 35is and its sportiness to that of a Camry. That's pretty much saying it's not sporty.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #59
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

The latest Sport Auto proved it again, the 35is e89 is not sporty at all.

Quote:
Der BMW ist defintiv nichts für die Rennstrecken:zu schwammig,zu indirekt,zu untersteuernd.
Am liebsten würde man zu Schraubenschlüssel und Flaschenzug greifen,um den sowohl in Sound als auch Antritt grandios aufspielenden Dreiliter-Biturbo aus diesem unsportlichen Farzeug zu hieven!
Did OP buy an Aston yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #60
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z@T
The latest Sport Auto proved it again, the 35is e89 is not sporty at all.

Quote:
Der BMW ist defintiv nichts fr die Rennstrecken:zu schwammig,zu indirekt,zu untersteuernd.
Am liebsten wrde man zu Schraubenschlssel und Flaschenzug greifen,um den sowohl in Sound als auch Antritt grandios aufspielenden Dreiliter-Biturbo aus diesem unsportlichen Farzeug zu hieven!
Did OP buy an Aston yet?
Sorry, I missed out on German classes...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #61
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He was comparing the 35is and its sportiness to that of a Camry. That's pretty much saying it's not sporty.
Do you think it's "sporty" (obviously the answer is yes). Then why waste time with what anyone else thinks? We're just some voices on an Internet forum, not arbiters of truth.

From my perspective (and mine only) a purpose built lightweight car like the Atom--at just over 1,300 lbs., which is almost 1/3 the weight of the E89--is at a far end of the spectrum. Comparing the E89 to the Atom or other single purpose super extreme sports cars is like comparing the E89 (or the E85 for that matter) to a Camry. There's that much difference between the two. Does that mean the E89 isn't a great and fun to drive sporty type car, that's a hoot in sport mode with gobs of torque? Not in my book! (Compared to my 3 series diesel it's also super sporty.)

I'd submit that it's not a question of "Sporty" yes/no in binary terms but sporty in degrees. It's a matter of degrees on the sporty spectrum. That's how I read The Hack's post at least--not "is" or "is not"--but as underscoring differences on a spectrum. YMMD.

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-20-2013 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #62
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

Quote:
Sorry, I missed out on German classes...
Sorry.

Quote:
Der BMW ist defintiv nichts für die Rennstrecken:zu schwammig,zu indirekt,zu untersteuernd.
Am liebsten würde man zu Schraubenschlüssel und Flaschenzug greifen,um den sowohl in Sound als auch Antritt grandios aufspielenden Dreiliter-Biturbo aus diesem unsportlichen Farzeug zu hieven!
I hope the sense comes over:
The BMW is definitely not for the track. Too soft, too indirect steering and under steer.
We would love to take a wrench and lift to rescue that wonderful 3l twin turbo engine, with great response characteristic and sound, out of that un sporty vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #63
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z@T View Post
Sorry.

I hope the sense comes over:
The BMW is definitely not for the track. Too soft, too indirect steering and under steer.
We would love to take a wrench and lift to rescue that wonderful 3l twin turbo engine, with great response characteristic and sound, out of that un sporty vehicle.
I have a 35is, and I agree that it's far less sports car than something like an Atom or even my Z4M, but I also agree with the statement above about the engine--it's the same tune as the one in the 1M, and it's fantastic! If you're not going to the track, the 35is is still an amazing car in Sport+ Mode using manual shift on the DCT, and the retractable hardtop is nice, if heavy.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #64
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Turbo motors are wonderfully adaptable for crazy power at relatively low cost. It's a big plus--all depends on intended use. For a street car a little tinkering yields lots of bang for the buck.

Back in topic, I've lost track of what direction the OP is leaning!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #65
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
No, I said the E89 is sportier than the Camry.

I drove an E89 at Auto Club Speedway. I wouldn't call it sporty compared to most of the other cars on this list. Certainly not compared to the car OP's ready to give up.

Don't be offended by the truth. The E89, while sporty compared to most of the other mundane cars on the road, isn't the automotive world's most sporty offering in the last 20 years by a very long shot.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #66
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
No, I said the E89 is sportier than the Camry.
Boy, am I glad that's settled.
Appreciate 0