ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
L3O710
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mustang GT

Lightbulb Bmw Vs Audi

Hey guys.. whats going on? So I'm an e90 post member driving an 06 330i and I'm in the market for a new car.. this would be my daily driver.. So iv narrowed my options down to 2 vehicles:

08 bmw z4 3.0i with sport package white on red leather <3

And

an 08 audi tt 3.2 with sport and premium packages red on black leather

I do love the styling of Audi (prefer it slightly over the z4) and the 4 wheel drive will be useful in the winter but the bmw just seems so solid and just has that bmw feel to it which makes it seem like the overall better buy.. If any one has experience with both vehicles please dont hesitate to chime in although all opinions are welcome.. Also vehicles are priced around the same amount with almost the same amount kilometers.

Thanks for you help!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Choice should be made on how frequently you want to drive a loaner... All my friends with an Audi drive loaners on a regular basis...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
biped
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 e38, 01 e38, 07 z4mc

yes, the Audi is a maintenance nightmare. The more recent BMW's are actually pretty good at not being a constant wallet drain, as long as you stay away from the 7 series.

The Audi's are pretty sexy, but I wouldn't consider it for a DD, or only car.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

I've driven both. I also love the styling of new TT's. Also, the extra seats (that fold down) in the TT coupe can be very useful. For me the problem is that the TT is very front wheel drive bias (the quattro), so if feels like you are driving a front wheel drive sports car... which is definitely not what I wanted. So I went with the Z4. Front engine, manual gearbox, rear drive. Just how I like it. =)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Nicolas M
BMW ///M Power
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

Hi,
I have driven a 2007 TT 2.0 and I currently have a Z4M roadster. This is just to explain that my opinion is not exactly on the cars you look for, but it still applies I think.

So for me, the TT is not as sportive as the z4. It is more a comfortable daily drive, a compromise between sport and comfort. The z4 is more oriented sport, and driving pleasure. A real rear drive with manual gearbox and an atmo engine wanting to take high rpm. For me, the Z4 is the preferred choice, but it depends on whether you want a beautiful and comfortable oriented daily drive, or something more sporty.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

The new audi is very different than the old audi guys, I have both bmw and audi and both are wonderfull cars ..... Infact my BMW is in the shop more than the A6.

Yea audi a few years ago from 05 and later where nightmares but the new architecture is much more solid. A new TT is probably just as good as the Z the older TT watch out .... Looks great but they are infested with gremlins.

Arguing whitch is better audi or bmw in a BMW forum is like talking religion with people. they have their veiw and you ain't changing it.

But if your talking about using this car for all year driving the TT with quatro will be way more sure footed in that time of year.

Both are solid cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Spend the extra jing and get yourself the M and don't look back. Audi FTL
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 05:29 AM   #8
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Well, TT if you driving for winter holidays etc ... the old one was "chicks car", the new one is lil bit better. Z4M if you looking for madness

There are several reviews on this btw, you also might consider Porsche Cayman .... maybe google/youtube a little since this is a BMW forum you probably wont get really object views. I was looking at same cars last year and went with Z4M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
ski_rush
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2007 Z4  [7.00]
TT Looks like the new VW bug

I've driven both and I agree the TT is fun to drive, but not more fun than the z. The problem with the TT is that is looks like the new VW beetle that's due out soon. I would hate to drive a car that costs as much as a newer TT, but looks like a VW beetle.

The TT also feels smaller inside to me and not as solid.
      07-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
HOG4DNR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I owned a 2008 3.2 TT for about a year before I traded it on a 135i (RIP).

I never had any problems with my Audi, only had about 10k on her. I think Audi interiors are the best looking of any car, but I didn't like the way it drove, I felt to disconnected from driving.

In contrast, the 135 and now my Z4MC are a blast to drive in comparison, even though their interiors don't stack up to the Audi.

Your best bet is to drive both of them and see which one you prefer.
2008 Z4MC #1786/1815 "The Last IB w/ Extended Leather Made" Gone but Not Forgotten

2014 M235i E.Blue Mods in Progress
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
nemex12
Captain
Rep
Drives: e60,z4

I was in the same exact situation between a very cheap NEW audi tt 3.2(a bargain because some taxes issue the dealer could let em go cheaper than a z42.5si) and a new z4 2.5si and to be honest I spent 2 or 3 weeks without sleeping trying to decide. I went with the z4 for the following reasons:
1) the tt 3.2 consumes almost the same amount of fuel as a corvette c6 but lacking that amount of power.
2) the z4 looks cooler, having the large bonnet and seats almost over the rear tires makes it look like a proper sport car being a true roadster(the tt looks like a new bettle or somethins like that).
3) well, in my case the z4 was a roadster and the tt was a coupe(the tt coupe looks cooler than the tt roadster which is a no go for me) so it was a factor in my decision.
4) the 3.2 have the same engine vw uses on some cars so I didnt want to share engines with cheaper cars.
5) the handling of the z4 is superb and I liked the tuning choices available the more.
6) well the looks of the z4 are very original, it looks fairly different from almost every car ont he road, the tt looks more "normal". so the z4 impresses girls a lot more.a friend of mine have a tt and everytime we go out the girls want to ride in my car and altough his car is a tt 2.0s which should be faster than a z4 2.5si he cant never catch me in the traffic because of my suuperior handling or maybe is the driver?
well, me picking a z4 2.5si instead of a bargain 3.2 tt (which is normally a more expensive car and in my country costs like 1.5 the value of a 2.5si z4) should speak for me.
if you can buy a z4m thats a no brainer

Last edited by nemex12; 07-03-2011 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
z4mcoupe
boon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

For a daily driver year round, the TT's 3.2L VR6 and AWD setup certainly has an edge over the Z4's soft-top and RWD. My R32 is great for this purpose and the exhaust note is amazing. No mechanical or electrical issue so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

I like the TT for the engine and AWD. The brakes are a little touchy, but easy to learn.

I hate everything else about the Audis. Reliability is the pits, parts are expensive (even compared to BMW). And for the TT esp it just screams girl car, not sports car.

Our generation of Z4s have been pretty reliable, easy to work on, great power and handling.

If you end up with a Z4 3.0i I think you're going to miss some power coming from a 330i.
For me
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 03:54 AM   #14
wrose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4M Roadster  [8.50]
2007 Z4MC  [0.00]
2005 X3  [0.00]
Go with which ever one feels "best to you"-after all you're the one driving and paying for it!!!
As for realibility I haven't seen any abnormal issues with the new model TT (I am a service manager with an audi dealership). I have a 04 TT with the 1.8 t and its a great car-even if it may be looked at as a "girl's car it can still stay with a "mans" bmw at the track and there is no comparision in our winters.
I also have a 07 M Coupe that I track and it is a great track car with a great engine .
Finally if this helps your decision process, The BMW dealership across the street from us is much busier than us with "emergency repairs and tow-ins"
Good luck with your selection.
Appreciate 0