ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
BlueBimmers
Founding Member of BBA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86M

Garage List
WTB: E86M in Interlagos Blue

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
I'm looking for an E86M in Interlagos Blue.

I'll consider cars with mileage up to 65,000 miles with good records, but lower mileage cars are preferred.

The car should have a clean title and carfax. I won't consider cars that have salvage or flood titles or that have been in a major accident. Plan on sending VIN in second or latest in third email. Don't be like others on here and ignore requests for VIN. This just makes it look like you've got something to hide. If the car's been in an accident, no matter how minor, be prepared to send a copy of the accident report. If the accident shows up on carfax or one of the other services then there's an accident report.

I have cash in hand and am ready to buy. You should have clear title in hand or know exactly what needs to be done to facilitate a sale if you don't. Don't be like others on here who don't know that a family member can't sign a title or that think that it takes over a month to get a lien released.

Location is not important. Given a day to pull records and review I can generally be anywhere the next day to do a PPI and drive the car home after purchase. If you're serious about selling your car you should be prepared for me to pick it up on a weekday to take it to the shop of my choosing for the PPI and, if the PPI goes well, leave with the car.

I'm more interested in finding a car that's stock rather than modded. I won't factor mods into the purchase price.

If you have an Interlagos Blue E86M that you'd like to sell and think we can do business, send me a PM on here. I'll respond with email address and phone number.

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
BlueBimmers
Founding Member of BBA
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMikeAllTheTime View Post
I'm looking for an E86M in Interlagos Blue.

I'll consider cars with mileage up to 65,000 miles with good records, but lower mileage cars are preferred.

The car should have a clean title and carfax. I won't consider cars that have salvage or flood titles or that have been in a major accident. Plan on sending VIN in second or latest in third email. Don't be like others on here and ignore requests for VIN. This just makes it look like you've got something to hide. If the car's been in an accident, no matter how minor, be prepared to send a copy of the accident report. If the accident shows up on carfax or one of the other services then there's an accident report.

I have cash in hand and am ready to buy. You should have clear title in hand or know exactly what needs to be done to facilitate a sale if you don't. Don't be like others on here who don't know that a family member can't sign a title or that think that it takes over a month to get a lien released.

Location is not important. Given a day to pull records and review I can generally be anywhere the next day to do a PPI and drive the car home after purchase. If you're serious about selling your car you should be prepared for me to pick it up on a weekday to take it to the shop of my choosing for the PPI and, if the PPI goes well, leave with the car.

I'm more interested in finding a car that's stock rather than modded. I won't factor mods into the purchase price.

If you have an Interlagos Blue E86M that you'd like to sell and think we can do business, send me a PM on here. I'll respond with email address and phone number.
I found one

and I drove it home last weekend
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Congrats! How long was your drive? Post pics when u can.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
BlueBimmers
Founding Member of BBA
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
Congrats! How long was your drive? Post pics when u can.
It's a 2007 E86M and it had 32,600 miles on it when I bought it.

My drive home was about 1,800 miles.

Arrived in Westchester, New York around noon on Thursday, December 19th. Did PPI. Got transport tags. Drove 300 miles that night. Drove the rest over the next two days. Got home just north of Houston around midnight on Saturday, December 21st.

I managed to make the trip in between winter storms so other than the snow in New York (which was nearly all melted off the roads by the time I left- just made getting to and doing the PPI fun) and raining BUCKETLOADS nearly the entire width of Louisiana it was smooth cruising.

Brake light and DSC lights lit up in the middle of Missippi around 3PM on Saturday.

Brake reservoir was nearly empty. Put more brake fluid in. Lights went out. Continued driving.

Got home and found that front stainless braided brake lines were loose. That looked like where all the brake fluid had gone.

Had shop that will be doing all future maintenance and mods take a look at the car to see if there was anything they thought needed attention. They said that other than the front brake lines being loose, the lowering was done correctly, the front rotors were below spec, Inspection I was due soon, and rear differential seals would need replacement in 5k miles or so. They said that they thought it was a great find.

Here are the pics.

Here are all three of my boys.

I actually didn't stage this. I just put them out on the street in reverse order to how they would go back in the garage once I made room for all three and I thought it looked cool.

The 2007 E86M will be my main track car. I'll keep it street legal and streetable so it doesn't have to become a trailer queen. The distances I currently drive on a daily basis aren't even really enough to warm it up and cool it down properly. With the lowering it's just too harsh for every day as well. Once the new front rotors are properly worn in, the E86M will move over to the golf cart parking space (where the E89 currently is) which requires pulling the E92 out of the garage and doing some reverse parallel parking to get into (door's too narrow and approach angle is all wrong anyway). I'll pull out the E86M for track weekends and when I can take it out for a good long run.

The 2010 E92 xDrive M Sport is my jack of all trades. It's my daily driver and foul weather street & track car. I bought it back in March 2013 about an hour north of where I found the E86M. It's been a phenomenal foul weather car and a good first track car. It's going to get a larger front sway bar, a front tower strut, and camber plates soon because I'm wearing out front tires on the track too quickly with it stock. I'll continue tracking the E92 for now and work the E86M in when it's warm/dry and I think I can handle it on a particular track (TWS CCW now- yes. MSRC 3.1 now- NO!).

The 2013 E89 is my cruiser/baby. I ordered it new and it was delivered in November 2013. I took it to the track a couple times and enjoyed it. One of my instructors said that driving the E89 on the track was like dancing the tango (you have to know your partner well and together you dance with precision) while driving the E92 on the track was like clogging (just get out there and have fun with it). I didn't want to make it a habit of driving the E89 on the track because it never felt the same afterward. That's why I started looking for the E86M. When it's between 65F and 85F you can count on me being out in the E89 with the top down!

Yesterday I took each car on its own two hour drive through the back roads near me and up to the twisties north of here. It was AWESOME!!!

I'd like to give a shout out to Mike at EuroMeccanica who did the PPI (found them on BimmerShops) for doing a good job on such short notice and to Alex at Advanced BMW Repair Houston (ABR) who will be taking care of the E86M from now on and doing the mods on the E92.

2013 E89

Last edited by BlueBimmers; 12-29-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Well, first, congratulations on the new addition to the stable! Nice line of blue there!

Lucky thing the brake line leaks weren't worse! Yikes. Surprising that the PPI didn't spot it; guess additional miles were needed to show the fault. (Good reason to always check everything before each track session!)

Sounds like a good find aside from the lines (easy fix) and diff seals. The seals are a pretty common issue, here's my experience with them.

Since you'll be tracking the car here is a post that points to other threads and posts on alignment, inexpensive negative camber solutions, and other items that may be of interest.

Not sure where you are in terms of driving skills, but for noob to intermediate use, Stoptech Street Performance pads work well for dual duty with street tires and stock type suspension. Above that folks seem to go PFC 06/08 or DTC60. Depends of course on track, driver, and tire/suspension setup. Lots of info here on various options since a good many folks do use their cars on the track as well as street.

What mods do you have planned? Also, curious as to what you mean by the E89 never feeling the same after being at the track. Is that something mechanical, or are you referring to your experience with it as a driver?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
BlueBimmers
Founding Member of BBA
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Well, first, congratulations on the new addition to the stable! Nice line of blue there!

Lucky thing the brake line leaks weren't worse! Yikes. Surprising that the PPI didn't spot it; guess additional miles were needed to show the fault. (Good reason to always check everything before each track session!)

Sounds like a good find aside from the lines (easy fix) and diff seals. The seals are a pretty common issue, here's my experience with them.

Since you'll be tracking the car here is a post that points to other threads and posts on alignment, inexpensive negative camber solutions, and other items that may be of interest.

Not sure where you are in terms of driving skills, but for noob to intermediate use, Stoptech Street Performance pads work well for dual duty with street tires and stock type suspension. Above that folks seem to go PFC 06/08 or DTC60. Depends of course on track, driver, and tire/suspension setup. Lots of info here on various options since a good many folks do use their cars on the track as well as street.

What mods do you have planned? Also, curious as to what you mean by the E89 never feeling the same after being at the track. Is that something mechanical, or are you referring to your experience with it as a driver?
Thanks.

I noticed that the brake fluid was a little low during the PPI and forgot to mention it. There were no obvious leaks when we looked the car over underneath. The car also had lots of melting snow all over the underside. Being confronted with a car cold for a PPI is a lot different than getting a dry car in with a known issue. Additionally, being asked to fill out a track tech inspection sheet can add focus. I'm happy it was only leaky brake lines. I'll take that over a blown master cylinder and corrupted booster any day.

Thanks for the link on the diff seals. Alex said we just need to watch the diff seals for now. If anyone can put a rear diff back together properly I'm betting Alex can- I have to, I don't want to pay for a new rear diff!

Thanks for the link on the camber ideas. I'm probably going to end up doing some of this on the E92 now because I'm starting to wear out front tires because I'm getting faster and more aggressive. We'll see how my first couple track sessions go with the E86M before I try anything on it. Although given how the tires are wearing I'd say that there's some camber in there already.

The E86M has dual purpose pads on it already and they seem fine.

I haven't planned any mods for the E86M aside from maybe tower braces and camber plates & sway bar when I need them. I hadn't planned on getting another car until I got promoted to Yellow (nearly there on track awareness and consistency but still working on speed and confidence) but this E86M was too good of a deal to pass up. I'm guessing that by the time Summer's over I will have reached the end of the mods I'm willing to do to the E92 to continue tracking it while keeping it comfortably streetable and will be mulling over mods to the E86M as I begin to eclipse the mods that are already on it.

After a half dozen autocrosses and three track days at 7/10's my E89 didn't seem to feel the same. I kept noticing it flexing/creaking when pushed hard and it seemed to run differently after each track day as well. It also seemed like I was hearing new rattles after track days too. Maybe I'm just being overprotective and/or babying the E89 too much. I've seen guys track nearly stock E89's in Red and haven't heard them complain. But I bet they got theirs second hand and it wasn't their first new car in 17 years...
2013 E89

Last edited by BlueBimmers; 12-29-2013 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0