ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Possibly replacing the Z4MC...

Well, just found out that I've got a kid on the way! I'm going to try to hold on to the Z4MC for as long as possible, but I may need to upgrade to a 4 door (or at the very least, a 4+ seater) type vehicle soon. Here are a few thoughts:

Can a child seat safely attach on to the passenger of the M coupe? If so, can the passenger airbag be turned off?

Assuming no to the above, what are some replacement options? I won't drive a SUV or minivan. I want something RWD or AWD, fun, and unique between $25-35k.

Been thinking about used VW R32 and EVO X (SE or MR). The E46 M3 is a viable option, but it's 2 dr. only, and I'm sort of done with stressing out about the S54's maintenance. R32 is 2 door too, but at least it's got a large trunk. Don't really care for a WRX.

Preferably, I'd like something in DSG / SMG so the mommy could easily drive it, but it's not a deal breaker if it's manual.

Really leaning towards the EVO, despite its cheap interior plastics. You have any better ideas?

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

New Golf R comes in 4 door...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Go here, put in the last seven of your VIN and see if you have

CHILD SEAT ISOFIX ATTACHMENT

To turn off the airbag you can use your ignition key, if you open your passenger door all the way you'll see a place to turn it off on the right side of the dashboard.
      06-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Congratulations!!!!

On my 3.0si roadster, there is a key switch on the left side of the dash to turn off the passenger side airbag so that kids can safely ride in the car. It is accessed by opening the passenger door. I would expect that this is a feature on your car as well.

My car has the sport seats, and other than not having the embossed M logo on the headrest, they are virtually identical to the seats in your car. The passenger seat of my car is equipped with the LATCH brackets to allow attachment of an infant car seat. I expect your car should also have this. Look for two little metal U-shaped brackets about 1 inch wide where the seat back meets the part of the seat that you sit on.

So, once you deactivate the passenger airbag and properly attach the correct car seat for your child, you should be able to transport your new son or daughter in great safety - and in a cool car!

Cheers!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
AWD, still german, relatively fun, B6 S4
      06-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

My friend uses his E46 M3 Coupe as the family car, works well and is still fun. The passenger seat is just like my old MKIV R32 seats, they release forward and up for EASY access to the back seat.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSKE92 View Post
New Golf R comes in 4 door...
Slightly out of my price range, but yes, it's a viable option in the future for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Go here, put in the last seven of your VIN and see if you have

CHILD SEAT ISOFIX ATTACHMENT

To turn off the airbag you can use your ignition key, if you open your passenger door all the way you'll see a place to turn it off on the right side of the dashboard.
Ah, thanks. I knew there was a way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Congratulations!!!!

On my 3.0si roadster, there is a key switch on the left side of the dash to turn off the passenger side airbag so that kids can safely ride in the car. It is accessed by opening the passenger door. I would expect that this is a feature on your car as well.

My car has the sport seats, and other than not having the embossed M logo on the headrest, they are virtually identical to the seats in your car. The passenger seat of my car is equipped with the LATCH brackets to allow attachment of an infant car seat. I expect your car should also have this. Look for two little metal U-shaped brackets about 1 inch wide where the seat back meets the part of the seat that you sit on.

So, once you deactivate the passenger airbag and properly attach the correct car seat for your child, you should be able to transport your new son or daughter in great safety - and in a cool car!

Cheers!
Thanks! I'm nervous, anxious, and excited all at once. I'm sure all parents know this feeling? I'll check for the LATCH brackets! If I do have them, I may be able to keep this car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arggg45 View Post
AWD, still german, relatively fun, B6 S4
Would love this car, but definitely more than I can justify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
My friend uses his E46 M3 Coupe as the family car, works well and is still fun. The passenger seat is just like my old MKIV R32 seats, they release forward and up for EASY access to the back seat.
Nice!

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

honestly if I were in that situation, i'd get a highlander or something that i dont have to worry about. I dont want my kid messing up the inside of the car anyway lol

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
z4mcoupe
boon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

MKV R32 if you want a nice AWD GT with room for 4. The exhaust note sealed the deal for me!

Last edited by z4mcoupe; 06-10-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

cts-v, used is about $15k
      06-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

I was going to suggest E90 M3, but that's probably out of your price range.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Well, congratulations first and foremost!

The airbag can be turned off and there are "latch" pieces in the bottom of the seats (at least in ours). I'd really advise you to keep the car--there is a way to make this work! Plus, think of all the fun you'll have when the kid is 5 and says "go daddy go!". That's a gift any kid would love (I know I loved it when my dad hit the loud pedal in our muscle car)!

I really don't see a need to get rid of the Z unless there is a need for a one car family that seats more than 2 (or in this case 1.1). A Z + a used Prius would provide the transportation/safety needs for driver (dad or mom), other parent when needed, and child with a good efficiency/hauling capacity. How often would you be hauling the kid in the Z anyway in reality? Not often (I base that on others who have faced this situation only to find they really don't need to baby haulers, just one).

I used to laugh at the Prius (still feel the need to get out a whip to make it go faster when I drive our friend's car--yah mule, yah!), but it has a huge amount space in the back and the ride is decent. It's good grocery getter and travel car, especially if you have a kid (room room room). I easily fit 4 tires/wheels plus room for 2 more and room to spare in the back when I have her pick me up at the shop last week.

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-10-2011 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
ManoSpeed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
I would look at the following:

1. Audi S4 sedan with the 4.2 V8
2. Subaru Legacy GT (AWD + Turbo)
3. MazdaSpeed 3 GT Turbo

I wouldn't even bother trying to put a child seat in a Z4M. That car was/is not intended on carrying babies around safely.

Of the above three, I used to own the MazdaSpeed3 GT Turbo. Great hatchback car with a lot of power (compared to VW). Subaru I test drove; it has less power than the Mazda, but felt more planted due to AWD. Personally, I'd go with the Audi S4. Great engine and AWD and you're still sticking with German engineering.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoSpeed View Post
I would look at the following:

1. Audi S4 sedan with the 4.2 V8

Personally, I'd go with the Audi S4. Great engine and AWD and you're still sticking with German engineering.
+1

OP, while you rejected it earlier in the thread, give it another look on autotrader/cars.com

Body Code is B6, I owned a 2004MY it's a hell of a car, and you can get them for under your budget.
      06-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #15
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

[QUOTE=esqu1re;9791181]

Thanks! I'm nervous, anxious, and excited all at once. I'm sure all parents know this feeling? I'll check for the LATCH brackets! If I do have them, I may be able to keep this car!

QUOTE]

Yup - all parents feel this way, just like I did. And you know what? Everything works out just fine!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #16
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Yup - all parents feel this way, just like I did. And you know what? Everything works out just fine!
Including keeping the Z in the family I see.

Any experience with "go daddy go!" yet?

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-10-2011 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #17
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Woo hoo! Congratulations!!

(keep the car) :-)

Last edited by johanness; 06-10-2011 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #18
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

congrats!

as for the m coupe conundrum, it is doable per the passenger airbag disabling key thing and perhaps a child seat, but any sports car isn't going to be particularly practical. i'd be thrilled as a baby if i grew up riding in an m coupe though!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't know the B6 was the 4.2 version; thought it was the newest forced induced one. I think I would consider it too if I needed a more spacious car.

My wife has an Accord so most traveling and grocery getting would be in her car for sure--- I think I'm just stressing out about being a parent and thought that I needed to be responsible and get something more practical for the 1% of the time I need to have the dog, wife, and child in the car.

Thanks all for your suggestions, and I feel much better about this vehicle issue. Now, off to buy "parenting for dummies" and other related books.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #20
ManoSpeed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't know the B6 was the 4.2 version; thought it was the newest forced induced one. I think I would consider it too if I needed a more spacious car.

My wife has an Accord so most traveling and grocery getting would be in her car for sure--- I think I'm just stressing out about being a parent and thought that I needed to be responsible and get something more practical for the 1% of the time I need to have the dog, wife, and child in the car.

Thanks all for your suggestions, and I feel much better about this vehicle issue. Now, off to buy "parenting for dummies" and other related books.

If you already have a Honda Accord then you don't need to do anything. In this case "no move" is the best move. Just keep the car. If I were in your shoes and absolutely needed a 4 door car I would just look to get a Honda or a Hyundai for around 5K and garage the Z4 for the weekends when you need to get diapers in a very fast vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #21
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

+1, get an inexpensive 3rd car if you need more seats.

Also, as far as Audi's:
B5 S4 = v6 twin turbo
B6 S4 = v8
B7 S4 = v8, big mouth grill
B8 S4 = v6 supercharged (current gen)

I personally wouldn't want an AWD Sedan for my fun car. I'd rather have the E36 M3 Sedan over any of those.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #22
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Congrats! I'd keep it as long as possible and replace with e90 335 or e90 m3 if you can swing it. Should be able to find a few for sale under $40k.

Appreciate 0