E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Euro/US Halogen Comparison

01-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Euro/US Halogen Comparison

Ok, so I recently acquired a pair of really nice Euro spec'd halogen headlamps and I'm looking forward to installing these and finally ridding myself of those gawd awful ambers. Thing is, there's a slight difference between the two and I need some questions answered. So, on the US spec'd halogens, the low beams have what I guess is some sort of shroud that goes over the bulb while on the Euro spec'd there is no such device. Would I be wrong if I assumed that the euro is going to emit what appears to be a high beam because it doesn't possess that "shroud" device even on the low beam setting? Kind of seems that way. Are these Euro specs even street legal in the US and if not, how can I make them so? I want these headlamps on my bimmer and want to make every effort to ensure safety for all and legality for myself. No reason to rouse the hogs, you know?
      01-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Search the forums for answers.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Where did you get the headlights?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep

Got 'em from Israel and they look killer even if I don't have those angel eyes.
      04-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Nice, for how much? Yes even without AE's they look good. I've been trying to reach out to a forum member that helps get euro lights but hasn't Pm'ed back. Let me know how you got them, I'll try.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Nice, for how much? Yes even without AE's they look good. I've been trying to reach out to a forum member that helps get euro lights but hasn't Pm'ed back. Let me know how you got them, I'll try.
I got em for right around $300 shipped, off a guy on eBay. I cruise eBay a lot and have gotten a shit load of super deals. If you don't have any qualms about shopping there you should go check it out.
      04-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
I got em for right around $300 shipped, off a guy on eBay. I cruise eBay a lot and have gotten a shit load of super deals. If you don't have any qualms about shopping there you should go check it out.
Cool, something I should be doing more often then, didu use US ebay or Israel ebay? I see myself looking in german ebay sometimes
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep

I mostly just use US eBay, but I have crept over to the UK and even Japan sites too. You never know what they're turning up in their parts of the world. The Israeli dude actually threw his auction up on the US site, that's how I found them. Hmm...eBay Deutschland? Never thought of that, thanks!
      04-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #9
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

About the bulb shield, you'll be fine. High beam just means your light is angled higher than the low beam; not necessarily a power difference between the beams. Without the shield, you will just have slightly more output but it will not blind anyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominators View Post
About the bulb shield, you'll be fine. High beam just means your light is angled higher than the low beam; not necessarily a power difference between the beams. Without the shield, you will just have slightly more output but it will not blind anyone.
Finally, someone with an answer, thanks. I was concerned about it at first, but got it all sorted out after talking with my mechanic.
      04-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
raj55
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 2009, 320i

Your European headlight (ECE) set has a different reflector for high beam as opposed to low beam. That is why you have four reflectors in total, two high beams and two low beams. The bulbs used are H7 for both and they have a black top similar to your American bulb cap, so no glare, due to the bulb itself. The beam pattern in the European type has a higher beam level towards the right side so that u can read the sign posts on the side of the road (European thing). The American lights (DOT) have a stray light in the middle of the light beam so that you can read over head signs. That unfortunately blinds the other drivers coming from the opposite side. This is some thing that annoyed me during my visit to USA.
Here is the beam patterns explained in detail. Look at the yellow beam patterns on black back ground.

By the way you could have bought the LCI head lights (with halogen angel eyes) from Europe for just a little bit more. Here it is from Sweden. Each LCI headlight costs 220Euro.

http://www.schmiedmann.se/3_serien/E...r-exterior.htm

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj55 View Post
Your European headlight (ECE) set has a different reflector for high beam as opposed to low beam. That is why you have four reflectors in total, two high beams and two low beams. The bulbs used are H7 for both and they have a black top similar to your American bulb cap, so no glare, due to the bulb itself. The beam pattern in the European type has a higher beam level towards the right side so that u can read the sign posts on the side of the road (European thing). The American lights (DOT) have a stray light in the middle of the light beam so that you can read over head signs. That unfortunately blinds the other drivers coming from the opposite side. This is some thing that annoyed me during my visit to USA.
Here is the beam patterns explained in detail. Look at the yellow beam patterns on black back ground.

By the way you could have bought the LCI head lights (with halogen angel eyes) from Europe for just a little bit more. Here it is from Sweden. Each LCI headlight costs 220Euro.

I have a set of LCI halogens with LUX AEs for sale if anyone is interested in doing this conversion: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831162
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
inline6ix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deep Green E90 325i

Garage List
Interesting.. I got my LCI Halogens straight outta Latvia, and the first thing I noticed is that there was no glare shield on the bulbs, but the bulbs themselves had some sort of built in shield. Didn't really notice any other differences honestly, but my headlights do have that clear beam pattern angled upward to the right.
      04-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:

If it annoyed you we are so sorry. Next time stay home.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You know, when I first bought this car I asked the dealer themselves about the possibility of upgrading my lights to something with AE's and they basically told me that the process was probably way too uneconomical to even consider because of when my car was built(July '06). That's really why I decided to go with the straight euro halogens. What you suggested above is plug and play for me or do I have to fiddle with my wiring and recode the system to get them to work? You've got me scratching my head again man.
      04-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

LCI halogens are plug and play for you afaik.

Would definitely recommend that route, second only to retrofitting OEM Xenon (which is obviously expensive).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep

Hah! Well then, looks like when I swap my front end for an M3 Style I'll be throwing in a pair of LCI Halo's.