BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-17-2023, 12:53 AM   #1
Agger
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

BMW IX3 base hi-fi upgrade

Hi everybody

I have a 2022 IX3 M-sport, it has only the base Wi-Fi with 4 midtone speakers in the doors and 2 under the seats. In the back, a ram21 module is placed, see picture.
I have talked to the user Gaselle about only upgrade the speakers in the Doors to HK versions and add tweeters in front and maybe in back. But do anyone know if this is possible? Can the Ram module handle this?

The original speakers are 8 ohm, 10 W, the HK speakers, 4 ohm, 25 W. Furthermore i am adding tweeters.

Anyone that can help me? 😀
I don’t wanna use a lot of money on a complete upgrade.

/Mads
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 03:56 AM   #2
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

The standard setup in the iX3 is only called "Stereo" - not "Hifi". Hifi is a 12 speaker setup available in the normal X3 (and other models)

Just to add a bit of background information:

I´ve had to 5-series, a G30 and a G31. Both came with the standard stereo (not hifi). I did the mentioned upgrade in both cars. Bought four HK tweeters and four HK midrange speakers on eBay along with two covers for the front tweeters from my local BMW dealer.

It´s all plug and play, nothing needs to be soldered, cut or tangled with.

In the 5-series it was a great improvement just adding the tweeters. It worked great.

The 5-series we had was equipped with iDrive6, so without RAM modules.

As I understand the setup in the iX3, all versions are using RAM modules independent on the setup. There might be a "low" and "high" version, and the cars with the 16 speaker HK setup has a booster as well.

I don´t see any harm in changing the speakers
      12-19-2023, 04:04 AM   #3
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Just took a photo of the RAM in my car. My car is equipped with Harman Kardon Hifi system (option code 674), which could be ordered for the Charged version for a limited time last year. It´s a 12 speaker setup (a tweeter and a midrange in each door, two underseat woofers and a tweeter and a midrange in the dash) using HarmanKardon speakers.

As you can see, the RAM is identical to yours, so you should be safe replacing the speakers.
Attached Images