BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-22-2023, 01:51 AM   #1
Pookah1975
Registered
Rep
Drives: ix3

IX3 not charging in time slots

Hi,

New to the ix3 and trying to work out charging. Last night, I attempted a test time slot charge. Window was set for 11pm-3am, with a departure time for 8am. Around 10, plugged in the charger, saw a charge for a couple of mins and then it switched off. Thought nothing of it as car needed to test the current.

Nothing happened in the charging window.

The car was at 75% prior to setup, and this was a test run ahead of a potential switch to Octopus energy. I have a new WaeV smart charger. I assumed that the car and charger would talk to eachother and top up during this window. Don't really want to go through the hassle of switching if there are going to be time slot issues ongoing.

So a bit worried that I've either got a hardward/software problem at either car, charger, or both, or I am (hopefully) simply doing something wrong. Any advice/thoughts welcome on this.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 02:37 AM   #2
silent ninja
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Have you set the car to 'Charge Immediately '? You can do this in the car or via BMW app.

Set the charger to do the same i.e. remove all schedules and settings. you want the charger to behave like a dumb charger and start charge once you plugin.

In the Octopus app, select your departure time and percentage charge required (I leave this on 100% but some prefer 80%).

Octopus will then take care of the rest. When you plug in it'll start charging for a minute or two then it'll pause as Octopus takes control via your car and proposes a schedule.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 03:24 AM   #3
Pookah1975
Registered
Rep
Drives: ix3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent ninja View Post
Have you set the car to 'Charge Immediately '? You can do this in the car or via BMW app.

Set the charger to do the same i.e. remove all schedules and settings. you want the charger to behave like a dumb charger and start charge once you plugin.

In the Octopus app, select your departure time and percentage charge required (I leave this on 100% but some prefer 80%).

Octopus will then take care of the rest. When you plug in it'll start charging for a minute or two then it'll pause as Octopus takes control via your car and proposes a schedule.
Charge Immediately has been another world of pain with OVO.

Consider moving to Octopus. What tariff/plan are you on? Main concern is compatability as experiencing issues between BMW and OVO Chargeanytime app. Don't want to move and experience the same problems.

Also, what charger are you using? Another concern that my charger may be causing problems.

Again, new to this and not sure what I am doing!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 03:35 AM   #4
Craig4092
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

I recently moved to OVO and can’t fault the integration of the BMW and OVO ChargeAnytime app. It just works. Ive tried it where OVO does the limit to 80/85%. As well as controlling that via the BMW car/app and again works really well.

My charger is dumb, Rolec one from 5 years ago. Always believed the cars will keep evolving so just go for a gloried plug and that logic is working so far.

Sorry it’s a bit off piste from Octopus but if they use the same principles (that’s what I understand anyway) I guess I’m saying I’ve had a great experience for the last 6 weeks.

Perhaps look to take any cleverness from the charger back to default settings?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 04:08 AM   #5
silent ninja
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookah1975 View Post
Charge Immediately has been another world of pain with OVO.

Consider moving to Octopus. What tariff/plan are you on? Main concern is compatability as experiencing issues between BMW and OVO Chargeanytime app. Don't want to move and experience the same problems.

Also, what charger are you using? Another concern that my charger may be causing problems.

Again, new to this and not sure what I am doing!
I use a Hypervolt 3.0 but effectively it's used as a dumb charger. Aside from one failed charge, Octopus and the iX3 have worked without fault since I switched 2 months ago. I often get charge time well into the morning (eg 10.30am) which is a bonus.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 03:21 AM   #6
ThreeXi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Hello,

Personally, I recommend no scheduling of charge settings or timings from the charge point itself, as others have said, let the charge point just be able to supply at any time a car is plugged in, like a “default setting”.
Then, I let the car decide how much it wants to take from the supply and when, this can either be done through the iX3 charging settings menu inside the car itself, the MyBMW app, or for best results, through the Octopus Energy app.

A common cause of charging stopping, amongst other things, is when these charging settings conflict with each other, so this is what works best for me.

PodPoint left default settings, no date and time set for charging.
iX3 left default settings in the car, no date and time set for charging, charge limit set to 100%.
Octopus Energy App, share your BMW login with Octopus Energy through the app, set the date and time you want the charging to be completed by.

The benefits of this, is that you’ll gain advantage of the cheaper cost of electricity outside of the standard 23:30-05:30 time period. For example, yesterday morning, I had the cheaper rate (7.5p KWh) through to 12:00.

Many thanks,
Appreciate 0