BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-27-2023, 01:12 PM   #1
ubutt1977
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Battery Preconditioning

Does anyone know how long the battery pre-condition feature needs to get the battery upto temp to fast charge?

Just wondering if I decide to pass by my local fast charger on the way home from work (aprox 15 mins from my office) if the battery pre-conditioning would have enough time to prep the battery enough to allow optimal charging.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 02:17 PM   #2
EVix
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s, BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubutt1977 View Post
Does anyone know how long the battery pre-condition feature needs to get the battery upto temp to fast charge?

Just wondering if I decide to pass by my local fast charger on the way home from work (aprox 15 mins from my office) if the battery pre-conditioning would have enough time to prep the battery enough to allow optimal charging.
As you already know, that depends on the starting temperature at that moment, since it will be what determines how long it will take to bring the battery to the optimum temperature for fast charging, but from what I have read, between 15 and 30 minutes before starting it is usually enough. . When I select a charging point as the destination, the vehicle usually asks me about 15 -20 minutes before arriving if I want to precondition the battery. Hope this can help you
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2023, 02:24 PM   #3
ubutt1977
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVix View Post
As you already know, that depends on the starting temperature at that moment, since it will be what determines how long it will take to bring the battery to the optimum temperature for fast charging, but from what I have read, between 15 and 30 minutes before starting it is usually enough. . When I select a charging point as the destination, the vehicle usually asks me about 15 -20 minutes before arriving if I want to precondition the battery. Hope this can help you
I expected it was probably too short a distance but also glad it’s not too far off so the fats chargers should be able to get the battery upto speed quick enough.

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
EVix53.50