Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

03-06-2022, 02:37 PM   #1
mbchris
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo S90

Is there any rhyme or reason related to reservations and dealer allocations?

Is there any rhyme or reason related to reservations and dealer allocations? So do dealers get more allocations if they have more reservations?

And do they get those allocations based on reservation timing? Or is it business as usual, and allocations are based on other sales? And are dealers allowed to assign allocations to anyone they choose, or should they just go to reservation holders?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 03:39 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchris View Post
Is there any rhyme or reason related to reservations and dealer allocations? So do dealers get more allocations if they have more reservations?

And do they get those allocations based on reservation timing? Or is it business as usual, and allocations are based on other sales? And are dealers allowed to assign allocations to anyone they choose, or should they just go to reservation holders?
My understanding is that preorders have the priority of allocations, but dealers will continue to be assigned allocations based on previous sales performance but in a limited amount for the i4.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 01:06 PM   #3
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

I4 edrive40 allocation at status 112 (modifiable) at BMW of Catonsville if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #4
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Pre-orders we're not part of dealer allocations.

Those that were done on the BMW website were assigned to the dealer in nearest proximity without regard to allocation.

My dealer had quite a few pre-orders for the I4 and iX.
      03-12-2022, 05:05 PM   #5
Vince777
Rep
Drives: BMW i4

Quote:

My dealer said that the i4 cars will be attribued at egal part for all dealers, no matter their sale volume.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 05:37 PM   #6
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince777 View Post
Quote:

My dealer said that the i4 cars will be attribued at egal part for all dealers, no matter their sale volume.
If you ask 5 dealers you will get 5 different answers. Something to keep in mind. After talking to quite a few dealers, it is apparent to me that they don't really know.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 06:13 PM   #7
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

The next few allocations are based off pre orders, which acted as a metric for which areas actually have a market for EVs. Example, SF Bay Area will get a significantly higher percentage of cars than say, BFE Idaho. No offense idaho you're awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 07:12 PM   #8
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My Bay Area dealer said the pre-orders done on the website were not in his allocation. But like someone else said, 5 dealers and you might get 5 answers.

I drive an iX yesterday. What a beast. I can't wait the drive an M50 in a couple of weeks.

My dealer presented me with a total cost, finance application and a link for 1.9% approval with BMW finance.

No games on pricing. The price is the price.
      03-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #9
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
I'm starting to get somewhat discouraged for a few reasons, most of them my own anxieties.

1) no chassis # yet (ordered in December, I shouldn't complain), my dealer hasn't received confirmation for any allocations.

2) no lease info yet on BMWusa like they do with the IX.

3) no info on rebates: Loyalty, Penfed, military etc etc

Looks like they IX has a "dealer contribution" of $3575 (I have to double check $$), that appears to potentially be BMW's suggestion to the dealer to extend a portion of the $7500 credit for leasee's.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 12:30 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
I'm starting to get somewhat discouraged for a few reasons, most of them my own anxieties.

1) no chassis # yet (ordered in December, I shouldn't complain), my dealer hasn't received confirmation for any allocations.

Looks like they IX has a "dealer contribution" of $3575 (I have to double check $$), that appears to potentially be BMW's suggestion to the dealer to extend a portion of the $7500 credit for leasee's.
BMW Genius just informed me that production numbers are issued in order of the pre-order submission - at this time BMWNA is going thru the July pre-orders.

I'm in the September 2021 pre-order run, so I expect a MY2023 unless i4 allocation/production picks up by a lot by this May.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 12:40 PM   #11
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
BMW Genius just informed me that production numbers are issued in order of the pre-order submission - at this time BMWNA is going thru the July pre-orders.

I'm in the September 2021 pre-order run, so I expect a MY2023 unless i4 allocation/production picks up by a lot by this May.
I'm also in September as I was trying to end up with a fall 2022 delivery (which would be a 2023 model). Wonder if they are working in "real time" in which case we will not find out production information until about June.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 12:47 PM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
I'm also in September as I was trying to end up with a fall 2022 delivery (which would be a 2023 model). Wonder if they are working in "real time" in which case we will not find out production information until about June.
That is my expectation as well... June production number, and actual production by September/October.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 01:58 PM   #13
jeffc42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 335i, on order: i4 M50

Quote:
Uh...... I have a June pre-order, and I don't have a production number.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 02:23 PM   #14
motzus
Private
Rep
Drives: i4 M50 (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc42 View Post
Did you order an M50? My dealer is saying that the M50's are behind the e40 in production. Not sure how much they are lagging.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 03:55 PM   #15
jeffc42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motzus View Post
Did you order an M50? My dealer is saying that the M50's are behind the e40 in production. Not sure how much they are lagging.
Yes, an M50. So for the eDrive40 they're into July pre-orders?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:21 PM   #16
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, an M50. So for the eDrive40 they're into July pre-orders?
That's interesting.
You did your pre-order via the BMW website in June?

So I'm in the SF Bay area.
I pre-ordered June 1 and got confirmation and assigned to my dealer on June 2.
Configured in Nov.
Config sent over.
Got a production number in Dec.
My car is an M50.
I can look at my car in MyGarage.

Have they sent a pdf with a configuration for you to verify?

A June pre-order should have a production number assigned so at least you can verify order entry into the system. They shouldn't be waiting for allocation because a pre-order with the $1500 guaranteed you a slot.

I have already been asked and provided a credit check and agreed on pricing. I confirmed config again and have a new PDF.

Something doesn't sound right with your dealer.

Did they send you a PDF?
      03-15-2022, 04:24 PM   #17
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post

Take a deep breath. Good news is programs will come out months before (June this year) you take delivery and you'll get the details well before your car gets delivered so you'll have a very good idea on what to expect.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:41 PM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Did you receive an email with the pre-order code? If so then you should call your dealer or BMW Genius to find out what's going on with your reservation.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:43 PM   #19
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
Take a deep breath. Good news is programs will come out months before (June this year) you take delivery and you'll get the details well before your car gets delivered so you'll have a very good idea on what to expect.
my anxiety is killing me

Mostly because of the car situation I'm in and if I can't get a delivery by Dec 20th of this year (which i'll know by Sept if I get a chassis or not), then will have to wait a few years for things to settle down and buy a used vehicle in the mean time and start the process over again in 2 or 3 years

...but that's not always a bad thing as I have some great plan B candidates lined up too.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:55 PM   #20
jeffc42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
That's interesting.
You did your pre-order via the BMW website in June?

So I'm in the SF Bay area.
I pre-ordered June 1 and got confirmation and assigned to my dealer on June 2.
Configured in Nov.
Config sent over.
Got a production number in Dec.
My car is an M50.
I can look at my car in MyGarage.

Have they sent a pdf with a configuration for you to verify?

A June pre-order should have a production number assigned so at least you can verify order entry into the system. They shouldn't be waiting for allocation because a pre-order with the $1500 guaranteed you a slot.

I have already been asked and provided a credit check and agreed on pricing. I confirmed config again and have a new PDF.

Something doesn't sound right with your dealer.

Did they send you a PDF?
I pre-ordered on June 26 on BMW NA's website with the $1,500 deposit. I got a confirmation e-mail with my confirmation number the next day. I configured the car in Nov, once the configurator was online. I've confirmed my configuration with the dealer, and I've confirmed pricing (MSRP).

No credit check, yet, nothing signed, yet. Each dealer may do things differently; we've already seen plenty of evidence for that. I'm next on their list to receive a production number, whenever the hell BMW gives it to them; they originally thought it'd be a month ago. Yes, of course my slot is guaranteed--and I saw my confirmation number on a printout of my configuration. But just because I have a guaranteed slot doesn't mean I must have a production number, as proven by all the other people who keep asking when their pre-order will get a production number.

Now, if someone who pre-order an M50 in July or later says they got a production number, then something's off--maybe. Now is it possible my dealer is screwing me over? Sure, anything's possible. But I have no reason to think that.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 07:46 PM   #21
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I pre-ordered on June 26 on BMW NA's website with the $1,500 deposit. I got a confirmation e-mail with my confirmation number the next day. I configured the car in Nov, once the configurator was online. I've confirmed my configuration with the dealer, and I've confirmed pricing (MSRP).

No credit check, yet, nothing signed, yet. Each dealer may do things differently; we've already seen plenty of evidence for that. I'm next on their list to receive a production number, whenever the hell BMW gives it to them; they originally thought it'd be a month ago. Yes, of course my slot is guaranteed—and I saw my confirmation number on a printout of my configuration. But just because I have a guaranteed slot doesn't mean I must have a production number, as proven by all the other people who keep asking when their pre-order will get a production number.

Now, if someone who pre-order an M50 in July or later says they got a production number, then something's off—maybe. Now is it possible my dealer is screwing me over? Sure, anything's possible. But I have no reason to think that.
Okay.

Sounds like it's just no production number. Not related to dealer allocation. I think you will be fine. Production number doesn't mean a whole lot until they start building it. I have a number and the only status is that it was accepted by the factory as a valid configuration.

My dealer has his demo at the location and it looks like two more stripped M50's on the way. None of them have leather.

I'll see if I can get a drive next week.
      03-15-2022, 08:17 PM   #22
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you receive an email with the pre-order code? If so then you should call your dealer or BMW Genius to find out what's going on with your reservation.
How do you contact a BMW Genius?
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0