Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

03-02-2022, 11:33 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

i4 40 vs i4 M50 - thoughts from Joe Achilles

Joe Achilles shares his thoughts on his first drive of the i4 40 and compares it against the i4 M50.

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I'll be honest...Joe is so anti-EV, I really am not sure I'd bother watching this.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      03-02-2022, 02:51 PM   #3
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I'll be honest...Joe is so anti-EV, I really am not sure I'd bother watching this.
Have to agree. As with some many motoring journalist Joe is behaving no different in that everything seems to revolve around wanting/needing that spirited driving experience which at best accounts for about 1% of your annual driving.

I’ve driven my M5Comp for the last 18 months and having driven the i4 I can honestly say the i4 doesn’t feel heavier to me when driven, not saying if I were to blast down a back road at the kind of pace that would land my in court there wouldn’t be a noticeable difference but who in their right mind drives like this and even if they did those occasions are so rare the rest of the driving experience far outweighs this in my opinion.

Last edited by footie; 03-06-2022 at 03:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 02:28 PM   #4
simnew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GranCoupe MSport

Its a good review and well worth watching ! Really positive :-)
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6599.00
      03-05-2022, 03:52 PM   #5
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I would not. He is anti EV and anti SUV, just a lil’ macho man.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #6
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Oh I dunno. As someone that enjoys the driving capabilities of a car I think Joe has a valid platform from which to share his thoughts.

Its good to hear how the new wave of EVs perform against their ICE siblings.

He was very positive about the i4 40. Thought it was good review.

Afterall. Joe and all the other similar channels will have YT content all about EVs or theyll quickly get left behind.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 10:57 AM   #7
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I will eat my words and say I watched it, and Joe's take was interesting. He really seemed to enjoy the i4 single motor a lot more than the 50i. He found it much lighter feeling.

I will say I still take this all with a very large grain of salt. Having 80,000 miles of high performance EV driving under my belt, the sensations are quite different. And it may read to his preferences.

Having also said that, as per Bjorn Nyland...the i4 is a right porker. It's way, WAY heavier than a similarly powered Model 3. So....only a test drive will tell!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 02:13 PM   #8
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
The issue I have with Joe's reviews is that there are literally zero numbers to back up his claims.

Weight is only one part of the equation, it's also how the vehicle can manage that weight. Yes, it's the enemy, but how/where that weight is distributed and other factors in suspension/chassis tuning plays a role.

I can gaurantee you that the i4 handles better than a 2,400lbs lighter Nissan Versa.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2022, 03:05 PM   #9
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I will eat my words and say I watched it, and Joe's take was interesting. He really seemed to enjoy the i4 single motor a lot more than the 50i. He found it much lighter feeling.

I will say I still take this all with a very large grain of salt. Having 80,000 miles of high performance EV driving under my belt, the sensations are quite different. And it may read to his preferences.

Having also said that, as per Bjorn Nyland...the i4 is a right porker. It's way, WAY heavier than a similarly powered Model 3. So....only a test drive will tell!
Very few AWD cars don’t give you the impression of added weight or a more disconnected front end, just look at the Taycan vs the Taycan 4S, every journalist rate the RWD version the better drivers car but that does not mean the other is disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 08:39 AM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Very few AWD cars don’t give you the impression of added weight or a more disconnected front end, just look at the Taycan vs the Taycan 4S, every journalist rate the RWD version the better drivers car but that does not mean the other is disappointing.
Meh, I disagree.

I drove a Taycan RWD back to back (literally) with a 4S and felt no difference in handling or road feel over normal roads. Maybe if I was hustling it on some tight back roads, sure. But dropping a few hundred pounds off 5000 isn't moving the needle. They all feel large and ponderous to me.

The only difference I felt was the speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #11
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Meh, I disagree.

I drove a Taycan RWD back to back (literally) with a 4S and felt no difference in handling or road feel over normal roads. Maybe if I was hustling it on some tight back roads, sure. But dropping a few hundred pounds off 5000 isn't moving the needle. They all feel large and ponderous to me.

The only difference I felt was the speed.
Bingo that’s my point, journalists are saying it’s different because they like/prefer RWD. I’ve driven both the i4 40 and M50, normal driving you couldn’t tell them apart, well that is if you don’t touch that right hand pedal. I think Joe is being hyper critical for the sake of it.

BTW in my opinion having driven both the Taycan and the i4 it’s the Taycan that to me feels the bigger of the two, the i4 I could happily drive quickly down a back road but the Taycan’s sheer size makes you weary of its position on the road when meeting traffic coming the other way. This might be difference in your country but in the UK back roads aren’t the widest. That said the Porsche has by far the sweetest of steering feel of the two.

Last edited by footie; 03-09-2022 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 07:03 PM   #12
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
I've drove both the i4 40 and M50, normal driving you couldn't tell them apart, well that is if you don't touch that right hand pedal.
😂😂😂 well said! I might have to quote you.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 08:01 AM   #13
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Bingo that’s my point, journalists are saying it’s different because they like/prefer RWD. I’ve driven both the i4 40 and M50, normal driving you couldn’t tell them apart, well that is if you don’t touch that right hand pedal. I think Joe is being hyper critical for the sake of it.

BTW in my opinion having driven both the Taycan and the i4 it’s the Taycan that to me feels the bigger of the two, the i4 I could happily drive quickly down a back road but the Taycan’s sheer size makes you weary of its position on the road when meeting traffic coming the other way. This might be difference in your country but in the UK back roads aren’t the widest. That said the Porsche has by far the sweetest of steering feel of the two.
The Taycan feels big. Really big. Like aloof big. I can't get my head around it. I've driven a base once, a 4S probably 4-5 times, A Turbo twice and a Turbo S twice. Then I get back in the Tesla and think "well this feels like half the weight".
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #14
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The Taycan feels big. Really big. Like aloof big. I can't get my head around it. I've driven a base once, a 4S probably 4-5 times, A Turbo twice and a Turbo S twice. Then I get back in the Tesla and think "well this feels like half the weight".
Which Tesla have you, if the model 3 then I completely get you because it’s a good 400kg lighter plus it’s low bonnet makes it so easy to place on the road.
Appreciate 0