Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

02-06-2022, 05:09 AM   #1
CarlosDanger1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Build Back Better / Federal Tax Credit Redux

As discussed in previous posts, the Build Back Better bill, as passed by the House, was going to eliminate the tax credit for EV sedans costing more than $55k, and also was going to put an income limit on claiming the credit. The bill did not make it through the Senate, and it's not clear that it ever will, though anything could happen.

As of today (2/6/22), I see that the the i4 and M50 have been added to the IRS's official list of EVs eligible for the tax credit.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-3...vehicle-credit

If there are any tax/constitutional law scholars in this forum, I would be interested in your non-binding opinion about whether a $55k price cap could be applied retroactively through a statute amending the tax code.

In other words, assuming that I buy an M50 and it is delivered in June 2022, and then Congress establishes a $55k ceiling for the tax credit in November, could they take away the tax credit that I was relying on when I bought the car?
Appreciate 2
Haywood3100.50
      02-06-2022, 01:52 PM   #2
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosDanger1 View Post
As discussed in previous posts, the Build Back Better bill, as passed by the House, was going to eliminate the tax credit for EV sedans costing more than $55k, and also was going to put an income limit on claiming the credit. The bill did not make it through the Senate, and it's not clear that it ever will, though anything could happen.

As of today (2/6/22), I see that the the i4 and M50 have been added to the IRS's official list of EVs eligible for the tax credit.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-3...vehicle-credit

If there are any tax/constitutional law scholars in this forum, I would be interested in your non-binding opinion about whether a $55k price cap could be applied retroactively through a statute amending the tax code.

In other words, assuming that I buy an M50 and it is delivered in June 2022, and then Congress establishes a $55k ceiling for the tax credit in November, could they take away the tax credit that I was relying on when I bought the car?
They could but they probably won't make it retroactive and will probably commence with the new tax year.

Because buying decisions were made based on current law. If you asked if it passed in March, that might be different.
      02-06-2022, 08:07 PM   #3
BeastBmW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CarlosDanger1;28555876"

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-30d-new-qualified-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-vehicle-credit

They could but they probably won't make it retroactive and will probably commence with the new tax year.

Because buying decisions were made based on current law. If you asked if it passed in March, that might be different.
👍
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 08:08 PM   #4
BeastBmW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CarlosDanger1;28555876"

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-30d-new-qualified-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-vehicle-credit

Gotcha!!!🔜
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Why are the Tesla rebates being phased out?
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 01:44 PM   #6
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Why are the Tesla rebates being phased out?
Tesla was phased out/eliminated in 2019 due to reaching 200k vehicles produced.
      02-24-2022, 05:01 PM   #7
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
my advice,

play around by looking at cars on cars.com that are EV's and see what your tax credit would be as a simulation. Mine wasn't what I expected it to be given my salary :-/
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 10:14 PM   #8
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
my advice,

play around by looking at cars on cars.com that are EV's and see what your tax credit would be as a simulation. Mine wasn't what I expected it to be given my salary :-/
It really depends on tax liability.
You need to pay the equivalent in federal tax to get the full credit.