Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

12-14-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Getting Wobbly About This

Has anyone here actually sat in a Gran Coupe yet? I know the i4s aren't out, but it's the same body. I was at a dealer today very early and spoke to a porter who was managing inventory. They had two new 4GC last week that sold immediately and none left. BUT>>> he was about my height (6'2") and he said he tried but didn't fit in the back seat! He said he could squeeze in, but it was really tight after he sat in the front first and adjusted that. That would kill the i4 for me (especially coming from at GT) as our family ride. Has anyone had any rear seat time yet?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:40 PM   #2
paco1807
Rep
Drives: i4

If it helps, I have sat on the back, and it felt the same height and distance as a Tesla model 3.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4654.00
      12-14-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco1807 View Post
If it helps, I have sat on the back, and it felt the same height and distance as a Tesla model 3.
Thanks....may I ask how tall you are, and how comfortable do you think it would be for more than a short trip?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 11:12 PM   #4
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW

I am 184cm and the backseat of ICE GC is small for meas I went and tested it. We have F36 and overall space is pretty much equal on the new GC.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4654.00
      12-14-2021, 11:19 PM   #5
jpuffmasterpuffpuffpuff69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jaguar I-Pace

It's not a large SUV. It's a sporty "coupe" focused on style. If your kids are 6'4", they'll wanna sit in the front.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 11:25 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuffmasterpuffpuffpuff69 View Post
It's not a large SUV. It's a sporty "coupe" focused on style. If your kids are 6'4", they'll wanna sit in the front.
No need to go to extremes to undermine the concern. We all know it's not an SUV and they are not 6'4" but between son and daughter, about 6', plus or minus an inch or so. I need to seat ~ six footers behind a six footer+ and my wife is a touch above 5'8" so legroom is important in all positions, but just need 4 good seats, not 7.

I see a functional four door hatchback when I look at i4, closest to what my 330i GT used to be when still produced. The "coupe" charade only goes so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 07:36 AM   #7
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

If you need to sit a 6 footer behind a 6 footer, for anything more than a short trip, the i4 is probably not the right car for you. The USA dealers do have 4 series Grand Coupes and I sat in one before I made my order. I would say back seat head room was pretty much the same as my E90 3 series and maybe a shade less than my 340GT. Leg room is the major difference. About the same as the E90, way less than the GT. Remember the 3 series GT is on a stretched chassis and has almost as much rear seat room as a 7 series.

For me the i4 will be replacing our 335D, which rarely carries more than 2 people, thus a perfect size. I will use the storage/hatchback much more than the back seat. We only have one friend who is 6'+ and he sits in the front with the wives in the back. We do have the 340GT which we are keeping, but currently the back seat is useless for adults as it has 2 child seats for our grandchildren.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4654.00
      12-15-2021, 08:11 AM   #8
mbchris
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo S90

I have sat in an i4 at the dealership. I am 6'1". My head is in contact with the ceiling when I sit up straight. I would say the back is marginal for anyone above 5'10". Back seat that is.

You need a 3 series if you want more rear headroom.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4654.00
      12-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
If you need to sit a 6 footer behind a 6 footer, for anything more than a short trip, the i4 is probably not the right car for you. The USA dealers do have 4 series Grand Coupes and I sat in one before I made my order. I would say back seat head room was pretty much the same as my E90 3 series and maybe a shade less than my 340GT. Leg room is the major difference. About the same as the E90, way less than the GT. Remember the 3 series GT is on a stretched chassis and has almost as much rear seat room as a 7 series.

For me the i4 will be replacing our 335D, which rarely carries more than 2 people, thus a perfect size. I will use the storage/hatchback much more than the back seat. We only have one friend who is 6'+ and he sits in the front with the wives in the back. We do have the 340GT which we are keeping, but currently the back seat is useless for adults as it has 2 child seats for our grandchildren.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchris View Post
I have sat in an i4 at the dealership. I am 6'1". My head is in contact with the ceiling when I sit up straight. I would say the back is marginal for anyone above 5'10". Back seat that is.

You need a 3 series if you want more rear headroom.
Thank you both for sharing your experience of the new GC body/i4 seating package. This is helpful, albeit disappointing information. I knew the GT was a stretched wheelbase on the prior generation, but with dropping the GT, and from exterior appearances, I thought/hoped they did a better job on this new generation of finding a "middle ground" for interior space between GC and GT. With one of you referencing tight headroom and the other tight legroom, this likely won't work out for us. I think the iX3 for the US is years away. I may get a chance to test-sit personally, but sounds like back to EV shopping. GV70? Mach E? Fisker Ocean? Best wishes to all who get their i4!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #10
daswartz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xdrive, GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Thank you both for sharing your experience of the new GC body/i4 seating package. This is helpful, albeit disappointing information. I knew the GT was a stretched wheelbase on the prior generation, but with dropping the GT, and from exterior appearances, I thought/hoped they did a better job on this new generation of finding a "middle ground" for interior space between GC and GT. With one of you referencing tight headroom and the other tight legroom, this likely won't work out for us. I think the iX3 for the US is years away. I may get a chance to test-sit personally, but sounds like back to EV shopping. GV70? Mach E? Fisker Ocean? Best wishes to all who get their i4!
I can say that it is a bit small as well.

I have a 535iX now. The back is fine, but not awesome for tall teens (we have 2), and the i4 is smaller. I did a bunch of comps on the size of my back seat, headroom, etc. to the i4 and I'll loose about an inch in every direction. It isn't optimal, but my car is used for rarely for full family trips.

We also have an iX coming which has a huge back seat in comparison.
We'll use that for our longer trips beyond dumping a kid off somewhere. We've been wanting to go all electric for a long time. Can't wait.
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2021, 02:51 PM   #11
taitam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 X-Drive 2021

Quote:
This may help: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...2021-uk-review

The cabin is perfectly spacious enough for its front occupants – in their standard sports bucket seats – but full-sized adults in the rear are rather constrained on knee and head room by the rakish lines of the Gran Sport body design. Kids can cope perfectly well, though.

G 82 M4 X-Drive Aventurine Red III
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #12
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taitam View Post
Thanks for that added, but saddening info. The car really seems wonderful and I'm sure I would have loved it...but then there is this deal-breaker quote in that article:

"The cabin is perfectly spacious enough for its front occupants – in their standard sports bucket seats – but full-sized adults in the rear are rather constrained on knee and head room by the rakish lines of the Gran Sport body design. Kids can cope perfectly well, though."

My wife and I already have two other small cars we're keeping....this one needed to "haul the load".
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 12:33 AM   #13
jpuffmasterpuffpuffpuff69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jaguar I-Pace

This is what the ix is made for. i4 is for the sporty focus. iX is for the family. There are plenty of crossovers out there, too. I-Pace, Model Y, Polestar 2, etc. If you want 6' behind 6', then you typically get a crossover or larger.

If you want to have a smaller, lower, better handling car, you get the i4.

But how often are there more than two people in your car? And for how long? For us, that's maybe once a week. Twice at most.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 03:15 AM   #14
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

I'm 6'4" (194cm) there is/was only one BMW 3/4 series where I could comfortably sit in the backseats and that is/was the 3 GT series (F34). Best car I ever owned.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4654.00
      12-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #15
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi e-Tron

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0ut View Post
I'm 6'4" (194cm) there is/was only one BMW 3/4 series where I could comfortably sit in the backseats and that is/was the 3 GT series (F34). Best car I ever owned.
As long as you don’t drive from the backseat you should be fine with the i4.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 09:26 AM   #16
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
This is what the ix is made for. i4 is for the sporty focus. iX is for the family. There are plenty of crossovers out there, too. I-Pace, Model Y, Polestar 2, etc. If you want 6' behind 6', then you typically get a crossover or larger.

But how often are there more than two people in your car? And for how long? For us, that's maybe once a week. Twice at most.
I happen to prefer and enjoy a car more than a UV, thus my forever “toy” 6MT 2 Series. I’m also not intending to spend $80k+. I’ve certainly enjoyed the brilliance of my 2018 GT which does it all in a car configuration. The 3 GT is much more car-like than the bulky tall 6 GT and easily seats our tall family fore and aft in comfort. When the kids come to visit or we go out with friends (I always drive), I don’t want to have to rent a larger car. It also easily swallows my bike with front wheel on and seats folded. I had hoped BMW would have struck a different compromise for interior space after dropping the wonderfully-packaged GT.

But, it appears I’ll have to compromise my preferences for the “family” car. Just to hold a spot for 2023, I just placed a deposit on Fisker Ocean (only $250 and refundable) and will check out Genesis GV70 EV which has great dynamics reviews and more space for 4 adults. Polestar 2 is too small again. Mach E is almost spot on for interior room to the GT. Never had a Ford before, but CR just rated its first year very highly for quality. Cannot imagine a Cadillac, but will read more about Lyriq and its battery/powertrain technology. Stellantis just showed the Airflow but that’s not until 2025MY. Whatever else I get, I’ll be a bit jealous of you guys.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 09:37 AM   #17
daswartz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I happen to prefer and enjoy a car more than a UV, thus my forever “toy” 6MT 2 Series. I’m also not intending to spend $80k+. I’ve certainly enjoyed the brilliance of my 2018 GT which does it all in a car configuration. The 3 GT is much more car-like than the bulky tall 6 GT and easily seats our tall family fore and aft in comfort. When the kids come to visit or we go out with friends (I always drive), I don’t want to have to rent a larger car. It also easily swallows my bike with front wheel on and seats folded. I had hoped BMW would have struck a different compromise for interior space after dropping the wonderfully-packaged GT.

But, it appears I’ll have to compromise my preferences for the “family” car. Just to hold a spot for 2023, I just placed a deposit on Fisker Ocean (only $250 and refundable) and will check out Genesis GV70 EV which has great dynamics reviews and more space for 4 adults. Polestar 2 is too small again. Mach E is almost spot on for interior room to the GT. Never had a Ford before, but CR just rated its first year very highly for quality. Cannot imagine a Cadillac, but will read more about Lyriq and its battery/powertrain technology. Stellantis just showed the Airflow but that’s not until 2025MY. Whatever else I get, I’ll be a bit jealous of you guys.
Great points and fair positions. I've seen the Mach E and the ID.4 in person. They both look pretty cool. They are for sure not a car though and I get your point on that. Ford and I have broken up though... My GT350 will be the last Ford I ever buy or own. One rig that really interests me for its utilitarian package is the Rivian. I hate trucks, but I think that company is going to do well.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4654.00
      12-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #18
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daswartz View Post
Great points and fair positions. I've seen the Mach E and the ID.4 in person. They both look pretty cool. They are for sure not a car though and I get your point on that. Ford and I have broken up though... My GT350 will be the last Ford I ever buy or own. One rig that really interests me for its utilitarian package is the Rivian. I hate trucks, but I think that company is going to do well.
Thanks...your relationship with Ford describes me with anything VWAG after a disastrous Audi experience, including with the company's Customer Relations staff. Much about the Mach E could work well...just have to get past the idea of my first Ford replacing a BMW! I think Genesis would come first.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #19
daswartz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks...your relationship with Ford describes me with anything VWAG after a disastrous Audi experience, including with the company's Customer Relations staff. Much about the Mach E could work well...just have to get past the idea of my first Ford replacing a BMW! I think Genesis would come first.
There are real reasons I'll never buy a Ford again but I am not going to troll them in a BMW forum. I don't know how it happened, but I was a crazy German car owner and then in my 30's something flipped and I ended up becoming a Ford guy. Some things happened and the break-up began, so I got the 535iX - and remembered why I was a crazy German car owner. They are built so solidly and drive - well you all know.

The Genesis is interesting... Intriguing. There are a number of UV Evs that I'd consider, but unfortunately my wife is like rain (wo)man (I'm safe - she has no clue about forums) - If I give her an idea on something and she likes it - there is no changing her mind. I like the iX a lot, but I think for the price I'd rather have the Volvo XC40... No changing her mind now - Her Ev arrives before mine
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4654.00
      12-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #20
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Quote:

I have a deposit on an Ocean also.
It's to replace my aging X5.
      12-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #21
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
You're ahead of me in line! I am concerned that the mid-level $50k Ultra I chose does not offer heated front seats. Have to step to $70k Extreme for heat, and then it's front and rear. That could push me back to Genesis alone...if I want to stay married beyond our 42 years!

EDIT: I am comforted that someone with your level of technical knowledge also picked Ocean. A good endorsement!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #22
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
You're ahead of me in line! I am concerned that the mid-level $50k Ultra I chose does not offer heated front seats. Have to step to $70k Extreme for heat, and then it's front and rear. That could push me back to Genesis alone...if I want to stay married beyond our 42 years!

EDIT: I am comforted that someone with your level of technical knowledge also picked Ocean. A good endorsement!
Thanks.

I picked Fisker Ocean because Magna is their manufacturing partner. Magna builds the Z4, GR Supra and some AMG vehicles and a host of other stuff we never hear about.

I have no doubt that the quality, fit and finish will be leaps and bounds ahead of that other EV powerhouse.

the Ocean is built on a modified Magna designed skateboard.

Fisker will be able to sell the vehicles at a profit because they don't have any sunk costs into manufacturing.

They also have signed a long-term deal with CATL for batteries. Same company that supplies Tesla batteries in China.

So they have a stable battery partner; great manufacturing partner that also has a parent company that supplies OEM parts. That also means minimal supply chain issues.