11-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #1
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

Engine temperature warning

Hi all,

I have got this error in my dash while my car was stationary and i kept the engine running for some heating. A few minutes later, i got this message. Quite shocking. I turned the car off and about half an hour later, i started driving and the temperature did not rise. I slow moving traffic, the temperature started to rise again and i turned on start stop which got rid of the problem. I drove for about miles at 5000 rpm and no issues whatsoever, temperature was stable at around 100C.

Came home and recreated the problem but turning the engine on and idling. I could see the bar rising with time.

What i have noticed is that the radiator fan is not turning on. Is my suspicion correct that i may have blown a fuse? I recently took the car in to bmw for a software related light failure error. I had to remove my hardwired dash cam and rewire it again when i got the car back. I will check if i put a fuse in the wrong slot. The driver (passenger for you US guys) footwell fusebox is very tricky to get into. Any suggestions before i call bmw assist? I want to make sure i havent messed up anything.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Competi ...  [8.57]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmedman View Post
Hi all,

I have got this error in my dash while my car was stationary and i kept the engine running for some heating. A few minutes later, i got this message. Quite shocking. I turned the car off and about half an hour later, i started driving and the temperature did not rise. I slow moving traffic, the temperature started to rise again and i turned on start stop which got rid of the problem. I drove for about miles at 5000 rpm and no issues whatsoever, temperature was stable at around 100C.

Came home and recreated the problem but turning the engine on and idling. I could see the bar rising with time.

What i have noticed is that the radiator fan is not turning on. Is my suspicion correct that i may have blown a fuse? I recently took the car in to bmw for a software related light failure error. I had to remove my hardwired dash cam and rewire it again when i got the car back. I will check if i put a fuse in the wrong slot. The driver (passenger for you US guys) footwell fusebox is very tricky to get into. Any suggestions before i call bmw assist? I want to make sure i havent messed up anything.
Quote:
Hi all,

Jeez how come the gauge above the boost gauge is almost at max?! Really weird, I'm from the states but this is really odd.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #3
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Take it to the dealer the fan failed.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:38 PM   #4
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
My fan often runs when I get out of the car, for a minute or two. Somtimes under spirited driving.

Appreciate 2
madmedman275.00
LivinLrge201.00
      11-05-2021, 04:00 AM   #5
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys.
An hour and a half of engine running at idle, temp between 100 to 110C now. I just removed the dash cam. The accessory connection was tapped into F70 which I believe is for radiator fan. I am going with tapping into the fusebox in the rear.

Is this temperature normal now?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      11-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Take it to the dealer and please let us know how it goes.

Hopefully this is not going to be a recurring problem

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 11:24 AM   #7
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Competi ...  [8.57]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks guys.
An hour and a half of engine running at idle, temp between 100 to 110C now. I just removed the dash cam. The accessory connection was tapped into F70 which I believe is for radiator fan. I am going with tapping into the fusebox in the rear.

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Better but still take it to a dealer
Appreciate 1
madmedman275.00
      11-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #8
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Take it to the dealer and please let us know how it goes.

Hopefully this is not going to be a recurring problem
Just a minor update. I guess i am to blame for this. A few days ago, I refitted my dash cam and got the engine temperature warning. I suspected there is something related to the fuses. I had a previous picture of the fuse assignments that i had taken before i installed the dash cam for the first time. It seems like I installed a fuse in the wrong slot, at F69 instead of F70.

As soon as I changed the slots, viola, i heard the sound of radiator fan turning on and the temperature guage turning down.

I guess i still need to have it checked by the dealer? Do you think the engine heat warning gets logged into the bmw systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csayad View Post
Better but still take it to a dealer
Thanks. The dealer is closed over the weekend but i will keep an eye on the temp guage. If there is any issue whatsoever, i will call bmw road side assist.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13475.00
Hjp1230.00
      11-05-2021, 06:59 PM   #9
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Its probably still recorded on the cars black box.

Appreciate 1
madmedman275.00
      11-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #10
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Its probably still recorded on the cars black box.
Thanks.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      11-08-2021, 06:02 AM   #11
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, G80 M3 xdrive

Fucking mirror taps…. Lol
Why its gotta be so complicated on these cars??
Appreciate 1
madmedman275.00