Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

09-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Lucid vs i4

I had been giving serious thought to the Lucid Air Pure...the entry level model...that would cost in the high $60s after tax credit. So much to admire about that car, but frustrating how a little thing turned me off. I was even considering bending my rule about wanting a liftgate versus a trunk. But, this next issue pushed me away.

The Air Pure comes only with a fully black interior. I wrote to them to suggest that they find some light color to recognize the varying summertime climates we have, especially in the southwest desert. I got some nonsensical answer about them trying to make the front seats resemble an airplane cockpit; I see all front seats in all models are dark. What a bunch of BS!

Crossed Lucid off my list. OTOH, while i4 still leads, pending an in-person review, the Mach E just passed the Michigan State Police tests for their pursuit fleet. Interesting endorsement. I saw one parked recently and gave it the once over...excellent fit and finish. I'm going to have to really like the i4 and the dealer sales treatment to keep it at the top of my list. Even Fisker Ocean and Cadillac Lyriq are sounding interesting.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #2
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Local Lucid showroom requires appointment to sit in the demo car, so I can't even tell if the seats are comfy. I would love to test drive it to get some idea how Lucid stacks against BMW or Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 09:27 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Local Lucid showroom requires appointment to sit in the demo car, so I can't even tell if the seats are comfy. I would love to test drive it to get some idea how Lucid stacks against BMW or Tesla.
From what I have seen and read, the Lucid will be well-assembled, well-painted, and nicely trimmed and finished on the interior. It will be a BMW competitor.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2021, 09:57 PM   #4
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
From what I have seen and read, the Lucid will be well-assembled, well-painted, and nicely trimmed and finished on the interior. It will be a BMW competitor.
I've been looking at the Lucid and saw it on the freeway.

They are based in Newark, Ca.
I see them all the tme
      09-26-2021, 02:17 PM   #5
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
I've been looking at the Lucid and saw it on the freeway.

They are based in Newark, Ca.
I see them all the tme
Yes Lucid test mules are frequently seen on 880, maybe they are trying to piss off Tesla/Musk perching along the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 12:03 AM   #6
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

I would never consider v1 car of a new brand.

I'm even hesitant to order the BMW i4 in the first 12months of introduction.
Appreciate 2
soheil64.50
AlexFL7837.00
      09-29-2021, 01:48 PM   #7
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

The iX reviews are rolling in, the interior looks quite nice compared to Tesla.

Lucid has no SUV yet but those hefty curb weights easily can match iX.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 02:22 PM   #8
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The iX reviews are rolling in, the interior looks quite nice compared to Tesla.

Lucid has no SUV yet but those hefty curb weights easily can match iX.
My 2020 Chevy Bolt interior looks good compared to a Tesla
Staszek786.00
      10-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #9
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
That's because you are parking it outside.

Actually, once they replace the batteries, I think the Bolt is a good vehicle and a great starter BEV.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 03:41 PM   #10
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
That's because you are parking it outside.

Actually, once they replace the batteries, I think the Bolt is a good vehicle and a great starter BEV.
I don't have enough garage spaces no matter what. The two wheelers get the garage space.

The battery issue is a minor hassle. They will resolve it. Overall the battery issue doesn't affect my like for the Bolt.

I'm an engineer and crap happens. This battery issue isn't related to the quality of the vehicle. That issue could have happened to just about any battery manufacturer.

I think the biggest issue, and it's the issue for all manufactures, is traceability. They don't trace individual cells to which battery pack to which vehicle. If they did, they wouldn't be recalling every car.
      10-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0ut View Post
I would never consider v1 car of a new brand.

I'm even hesitant to order the BMW i4 in the first 12months of introduction.
I agree. I do believe that there will be test drives available on the Lucid. In the Lucid design studio in Scottsdale, they not only a real car (not the pure) but also a couple of seats separate from the car so trying the seats should not be a problem.

I plan on keeping my BMW for three more years (at least) but I will then be seriously looking at the Lucid Pure (as well as other options that will then be available).

The guy at the design studio told me that when I get the email telling me that Lucid is now ready for me to place an order (as opposed to the reservation), that I can then schedule a test drive either before ordering or after.

Last edited by SteveinArizona; 01-09-2022 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: additional information
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:04 PM   #12
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
...but also a couple of seats separate from the car so trying the seats should not be a problem.
The problem already with the Lucid seats is the silly insistence on the front seats only being black to look like an airplane cockpit....I have that directly from one of their factory representatives. I told them that was a deal-breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 09:08 AM   #13
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Just to jump o the Bolt band wagon a bit. I have a MINI Cooper S and love the interior fit and finish. Sat in a 2022 Bolt EV and that interior is on par with the Mini IMO. Lots of soft touch items and the seats are quite nice too. Was hesitant on the Bolt with the battery issue (although 12 fires with over 80K cars on the road - percentages were pretty low). Some perspective - 25 people a year are killed by champagne corks - 450 die falling out of their beds. I think GM has the battery issue handled now so the Bolt should a viable EV choice going forward IMO especially with the range disparity between it and the Mini SE (259 vs. 114).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 09:32 AM   #14
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Just to jump o the Bolt band wagon a bit. I have a MINI Cooper S and love the interior fit and finish. Sat in a 2022 Bolt EV and that interior is on par with the Mini IMO. Lots of soft touch items and the seats are quite nice too. Was hesitant on the Bolt with the battery issue (although 12 fires with over 80K cars on the road - percentages were pretty low). Some perspective - 25 people a year are killed by champagne corks - 450 die falling out of their beds. I think GM has the battery issue handled now so the Bolt should a viable EV choice going forward IMO especially with the range disparity between it and the Mini SE (259 vs. 114).
But, would you have wanted to be the guy who kept a bottle of champagne on the nightstand that required rolling over to reach....and then went out to buy a Bolt?

BTW, my wife has a MINI Countryman, and the extremely well-designed, well-assembled, and great material selection interior was a major selling point for her.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 10:22 PM   #15
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
But, would you have wanted to be the guy who kept a bottle of champagne on the nightstand that required rolling over to reach....and then went out to buy a Bolt?

BTW, my wife has a MINI Countryman, and the extremely well-designed, well-assembled, and great material selection interior was a major selling point for her.
Now that's funny.

I like Minis and would have bought one over the Bolt had the range been 200 miles.

With less than 200 miles of range it's not a real car for my daughter. she was constantly paranoid when she had a Fiat 500e.
      01-23-2022, 10:43 AM   #16
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The problem already with the Lucid seats is the silly insistence on the front seats only being black to look like an airplane cockpit....I have that directly from one of their factory representatives. I told them that was a deal-breaker for me.
I don't like dark cars with black interiors. It is too gloomy for me. But if one takes a Lucid Air with a light exterior, then the black interior is fine (IMHO).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:12 AM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I don't like dark cars with black interiors. It is too gloomy for me. But if one takes a Lucid Air with a light exterior, then the black interior is fine (IMHO).
Each as they wish, of course, but the A-surface of a black seat absorbs heat far more quickly than a light color, which is a concern for me when in triple-digit southwest summer temperatures. That is my primary reason for rejecting a black seat, although Lucid's dark front seat/light rear seat combination seems just "quirky" with no clear benefit. Having hood, fenders, and trunk lid as a light color does not reduce heat absorption in the passenger compartment. The light steel roof on Lucid would be helpful with heat rejection directly overhead.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 02:28 PM   #18
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi e-Tron

Quote:
I had been giving serious thought to the Lucid Air Pure...the entry level model...that would cost in the high $60s after tax credit. So much to admire about that car, but frustrating how a little thing turned me off. I was even considering bending my rule about wanting a liftgate versus a trunk. But, this next issue pushed me away.

The Air Pure comes only with a fully black interior. I wrote to them to suggest that they find some light color to recognize the varying summertime climates we have, especially in the southwest desert. I got some nonsensical answer about them trying to make the front seats resemble an airplane cockpit; I see all front seats in all models are dark. What a bunch of BS!

Crossed Lucid off my list. OTOH, while i4 still leads, pending an in-person review, the Mach E just passed the Michigan State Police tests for their pursuit fleet. Interesting endorsement. I saw one parked recently and gave it the once over...excellent fit and finish. I'm going to have to really like the i4 and the dealer sales treatment to keep it at the top of my list. Even Fisker Ocean and Cadillac Lyriq are sounding interesting.
It is unfortunate that the Pure comes in only one color. The Pure is black in the front and dark gray in the rear. You're correct that all models have the dark front seats, but there are other color combos that are available in the other models, that offer light rear seats and light interior body panels. But with the 'lowly' Pure, we have no choice.

That is also a negative in my book too. I ordered an oyster interior for my i4, so you can see where my head is at.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4654.00
      01-23-2022, 03:01 PM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
... but there are other color combos that are available in the other models, that offer light rear seats and light interior body panels.
True, but for the 95%+ time, it's just me, and I can't reach the wheels and pedals from the back! . Lucid is off my list until perhaps a mid-size vehicle is more "enlightened".

I was ready to order an Oyster interior on the Sunset Orange i4, but after sitting in a new 440i GC and realizing how cramped the back seat is, including the ingress/egress process, and the relatively modest cargo space, I've decided (sadly) to look elsewhere while still enjoying my 330i GT. Fisker Ocean deposit placed and still waiting to see Genesis GV70 EV and something as large as Cadillac Lyriq. I'm not reading much i4 forum content any more, but I saw your red icon for the reply. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Ken732.00
      01-26-2022, 10:55 AM   #20
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
It is unfortunate that the Pure comes in only one color. The Pure is black in the front and dark gray in the rear. You're correct that all models have the dark front seats, but there are other color combos that are available in the other models, that offer light rear seats and light interior body panels. But with the 'lowly' Pure, we have no choice.

That is also a negative in my book too. I ordered an oyster interior for my i4, so you can see where my head is at.
We are never going to find a perfect car. Lambos and Ferrari's are too expensive; BMW has the ugly snout; Mini has too short a range; Lucid doesn't give you the full range of upholstery color choices; MB EQS is too big. Etc.

So the question comes down to which features are most important to you and which ones are deal killers for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 12:25 PM   #21
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
... Lucid doesn't give you the full range of upholstery color choices;...
So the question comes down to which features are most important to you and which ones are deal killers for you.
It's not the range of colors...it's forcing black for the front, no matter the interior color. Sitting down on a black seat in a parked car when it's 110-115 outside in the Summer is that deal-killer (along with conventional trunk), aside from how odd it looks. No, I don't want cloth seat covers.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #22
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi e-Tron

Quote:

Two different cars. The BMW is a luxury car and the Ford isn’t. I sat in one early on and immediately ruled it out based on the awkward appearance of the center tablet. Too much of a ‘stuck on’ look for me. My wife didn’t like it either.

The Lucid Pure’s interior is black up front and dark gray in the rear, not my favorite combo. I still have a deposit down for a Pure, but I too don’t understand their obsession with two tone interiors and only the dark one (Mojave) for the Pure.

Meanwhile early Lucid owners are having their share of issues from numerous software problems to some hardware issues.

Last edited by Ken7; 01-29-2022 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0