ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
BigLeo48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Drove an Elise Yesterday...Man I love my Z4MC!

Met a guy yesterday with an Lotus Elise and we swapped for a test drive.

As we all know the Elise is a go-cart. It's quick and handles great, but primitive and more purist than I would like for a non-track car. Forget about a daily driver! Funny, I spent more time looking at my car in the mirror than anything else.

The whole thing would rattle and jar at most little bumps. The center console (if that's what you want to call it) was loose and the whole package had a kit-car feeling to it. It's a very long way from the sophisticated 07 BMW.

The guy really liked the Z4MC and asked how much I paid for it. When he found out I paid less than he did for the Lotus, he made a quirky grimace. I think that was painful news. I felt that he was growing tiered of the Lotus and all it's quirks and longed for something quick but more refined. I think he'll be moving on to something better soon.

Always nice to try something a bit different to reaffirm that the grass is not always green on the other side. The Z4MC is not perfect, but man I love my car!

BigLeo
      06-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

the elise is a great track car/fun weekend driver. i would never buy one though. i drove my friends elise exige S. it felt much faster than the standard elise. (it probably was the supercharger )

the Z4Ms are great drivers cars!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
the elise is a great track car/fun weekend driver. i would never buy one though. i drove my friends elise exige S. it felt much faster than the standard elise. (it probably was the supercharger )

the Z4Ms are great drivers cars!

Elise and Exige are two different models
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
zavo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster

actually i happen to like the Exige S better than my MZ4... But than again luxury and other noises don't matter to me...

Both are fantastic cars...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I had an Elise before my Z4MC and I concur with the squeaks rattles etc. I wanted quality with rarity and a pure raw driving experience. MC has a better mix of these as the Elise is 1 dimensional.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 06:50 AM   #6
drummerbrent
Ex-Auto Engineer
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
I had an Elise before my Z4MC and I concur with the squeaks rattles etc. I wanted quality with rarity and a pure raw driving experience. MC has a better mix of these as the Elise is 1 dimensional.
We sold our Elise and bought a Z4M too. The Elise was more fun about 20% of the time, but (some) comfort and torque won out in the end. Nice not having to drive 4 hours to a dealer for warranty stuff, but the Lotus was pretty easy to work on otherwise.

I've driven an Elise on a track and it was nice, but even then not nearly as much fun as a dedicated track car.
Appreciate 0