ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-08-2020, 02:58 AM   #1
fryh1n
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Questions for those in the Bay Area with modified exhaust

Bought the Z4M a year ago or so, and now finally decided to get an exhaust for it. Read the Ultimate Exhaust guide, and really liked the sound of the SuperSprint X-pipe and Race Muffler setup by Mfanatic325.

Question is... Where do you smog your car after this? Can smog station fail you because the car is too loud? Do you swapout the X-pipe each time you go smog the car?
I had a wrx with hi flow catted downpipe, and a Borla full cat back exhaust system which was not that loud, just nice low rumble. Never had a problem with sound, it's always visual with the catted down pipe...
But for the Z4M, I can't gauge how loud it is since I haven't heard it in person...

Any insights will be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #2
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
I'm not from California so not too knowledgeable about smog stations/test, but I will touch upon your concerns...
  • The Supersprint Race muffler, to my understanding, is the 2nd loudest 'off-the-shelf' muffler (#1 being RPi). The X-Pipe will increase the volume some, but mostly add some rasp.
  • In our cars, the cats are in the headers and front-pipe/section 1. Therefore changing out the X-Pipe + Mufflers will not affect emissions as you retain both sets of cats.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 1
fryh1n4.00
      10-08-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Very different setup in mine, but I ended up puttig the OE X-Pipe as the exhaust was too raspy and loud without it. this was with Remus cans, EU headers, and DFK Cats.
Appreciate 1
fryh1n4.00
      10-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #4
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryh1n View Post
Question is... Where do you smog your car after this?
I tested my Z4M from SMOG at a regular neighborhood spot in Hayward, CA. The car had an AFE intake and Stromung mufflers on it at the time. The car easily passed the OBDII test (no sniffer on our cars - it would pass that too...).

The tech owned an E46 M3 and knew my intake was aftermarket and dinged me on visual and suggested I swap the intake back to stock before retest. Given his knowledge of the platform I am positive he also knew the exhaust was non-OEM. It leads me to believe they only really care about the catalytic converters and any pre-cat items.

Just my 2 cents. Test was $40 (retest is free), worth a shot before you swap items in or out.
Appreciate 1
fryh1n4.00
      10-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #5
fryh1n
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
I'm not from California so not too knowledgeable about smog stations/test, but I will touch upon your concerns...
  • The Supersprint Race muffler, to my understanding, is the 2nd loudest 'off-the-shelf' muffler (#1 being RPi). The X-Pipe will increase the volume some, but mostly add some rasp.
  • In our cars, the cats are in the headers and front-pipe/section 1. Therefore changing out the X-Pipe + Mufflers will not affect emissions as you retain both sets of cats.
thanks! I like the rasp on these cars, they sound fantastic, so X pipe will do the trick, but maybe I will go with powerloop instead. After watching a few videos of the powerloop, it's not bad either, just not as open, but that's to be expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
Very different setup in mine, but I ended up puttig the OE X-Pipe as the exhaust was too raspy and loud without it. this was with Remus cans, EU headers, and DFK Cats.
very interesting, so it seems like X-pipe does add volume if the cats are modified.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #6
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

very interesting, so it seems like X-pipe does add volume if the cats are modified.
Very much so! to the point I was not able to hear the CSL Box, with the OE X-Pipe is now all good, but again, I only have two cats.

I have a super sprint X-Pipe collecting dust Most useless and expensive purchase I have ever made.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:09 AM   #7
fryh1n
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Very much so! to the point I was not able to hear the CSL Box, with the OE X-Pipe is now all good, but again, I only have two cats.

I have a super sprint X-Pipe collecting dust Most useless and expensive purchase I have ever made.
I can buy it off of you, but shipping may kill the deal. Let me send you a pm.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 12:21 AM   #8
toorawshaw
Rep
Drives: Z4 e85

Quote:
Quote:

Do
You still have it?
      11-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #9
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toorawshaw View Post
Do
You still have it?
No, it finally sold. very cheap, unfortunately for me.

Last edited by maupineda; 11-16-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 08:34 PM   #10
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I have a rogue, also unfortunately cheap. On my way over to bump thread.
Appreciate 0