ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, F80 M3CS

BimmerWorld Engine Mounts + RogueEngineering Trans Mounts

Found a lot of reviews on VibraTechnic Mounts with RE transmission mounts. But not much on BW for our S54 Z4Ms.

My stock mounts only had 24K on them but the front had showed signs of wear. They probably could have gone on for a couple more thousand miles, but decided to just replace them.

Install:
2 hours of labor at a reputable Indy garage, for all four mounts.

Parts:

Hardware from McMaster-Carr

1 pack (25 screws/pack): 90854A167 Zinc Yellow-Chromate Plated Steel Hex Head Screw, High-Strength, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread, 25 mm Long

1 pack (25 screws/pack): 90854A172 Zinc Yellow-Chromate Plated Steel Hex Head Screw, High-Strength, M8x1.25 mm Thread, 35 mm Long

2 packs (5 washers/pack): 91812A430 316 Stainless Steel Wedge Lock Washer for 5/16" and M8 Screw Size, 0.34" ID, 0.65" OD

Mounts:

Parts from BimmerWorld

1 set of BimmerWorld Performance Engine Mounts

1 set of Rogue Engineering transmission mounts

Review:

Apart from a 10% increase in cabin vibration at idle (not intrusive), they totally transformed the car. It's hard to explain but the car feels like it's made from a single piece of material. The front end is so much more eager to turn in, and the rear rotates immediately. Best part is the shifter, gear changes have more feedback, almost like a confirmation notch as you select a gear.

Very pleased, and worth every penny imo.
Appreciate 5
pyshin110.50
XMetal1132.50
wdb4721.50
kaybat125.50
David701567.00
      10-02-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Thanks for posting your impressions! I just installed VibraTechnics and I'm always looking for comparisons to other mounts.

I'm not sure how to explain the change in front end response. I suppose it could have to do with the engine not shifting as much on its mounts during lateral loading but that seems to be a bit of a stretch. The response of the tires and/or suspension would have already happened before any load imposed by the lump shifting this way or that.

The gearchange improvement is easier. The Z4M gearbox is unique to the car; no other Z4 has it. My 3.0si shifted like a dream, and I was disappointed in the M car by comparison. Many other folks have been as well. Right from the start, folks were talking about "second gear downshift refusal" and at least from my point of view they were right on the money. There's a general vagueness which really comes to the forefront on downshifts to second.

Taking out the play induced by motor and transmission mounts certainly helps improve shifting precision. If you want to go a bit further there is the Auto Solutions shift kit which I highly recommend. It adds effort to gear changes but the feel and precision is so delightful that I find myself slowing down just so I can shift a few more times. I really do like it that much.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, F80 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Thanks for posting your impressions! I just installed VibraTechnics and I'm always looking for comparisons to other mounts.

I'm not sure how to explain the change in front end response. I suppose it could have to do with the engine not shifting as much on its mounts during lateral loading but that seems to be a bit of a stretch. The response of the tires and/or suspension would have already happened before any load imposed by the lump shifting this way or that.

The gearchange improvement is easier. The Z4M gearbox is unique to the car; no other Z4 has it. My 3.0si shifted like a dream, and I was disappointed in the M car by comparison. Many other folks have been as well. Right from the start, folks were talking about "second gear downshift refusal" and at least from my point of view they were right on the money. There's a general vagueness which really comes to the forefront on downshifts to second.

Taking out the play induced by motor and transmission mounts certainly helps improve shifting precision. If you want to go a bit further there is the Auto Solutions shift kit which I highly recommend. It adds effort to gear changes but the feel and precision is so delightful that I find myself slowing down just so I can shift a few more times. I really do like it that much.
Re: the turn in.

I actually think it's got to do with the engine shifting less, had the car out at Palmer Motorsports yesterday, and the front end had a lot less "lift" in the high speed turns. My stock mounts were original from 07, so maybe the exaggeration in feel for me.
Appreciate 1
wdb4721.50
      10-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

This is the configuration I am going to do on my 2006 Z4M Roadster. Great to read you are happy with the results. I have an RTD shifter, so I am looking forward to even more improvements in the shifting.

I bought the mounts ~ 6 months ago, but I am in Canada and they are at my preferred shop in the USA, so I haven't been able to get over the border to get the work done.

New plan is Spring 2021 hoping the border opens up and do this at the beginning of next track season.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Thanks for the review! I'm replacing motor mounts, transmission mounts, driveshaft guibo and diff mounts at my next oil change and I was struggling to find information about the bimmerworld mounts on a Z4M. I'm gonna go with this same combo.
      10-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #6
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright657 View Post
Thanks for the review! I'm replacing motor mounts, transmission mounts, driveshaft guibo and diff mounts at my next oil change and I was struggling to find information about the bimmerworld mounts on a Z4M. I'm gonna go with this same combo.
I'd recommend doing the driveshaft center bearing too.
Appreciate 2
vt100125.50
      10-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I'd recommend doing the driveshaft center bearing too.
+1
Appreciate 0