ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

AFE Z4 M Coupe/Roadster Intake Review

After over a week with this intake I decided that I have spent enough time with it to write a review. Here goes....

I was going to wait till I had the money to buy the $3,000 plus bimmerworld CSL style intake to for my car but then I came across the AFE intake for our cars. I sent a pm to Harold at HP Autoworks and he shot me back a price that I could not refuse so I decided what the heck and decided to give the intake a try. During the whole ordering process Harold was great and he went out of his way to make sure I had the intake by the weekend so I could use it at the BMW CCA AutoX. Big to Harold and HP Autowerks!

Install and Fit and Finish:
Everything on he AFE intake is nicely finished and has a real quality feel to it. The coupler where the mass air bolts into is a thing of beauty! Everything on the intake bolted up like it should the only problem were the install instructions that AFE provided were a little less then great. It was nothing really major though as any person will limited mechanical knowledge could be able to figure out how to install it. It took me less then half an hour to get it in there and this was with me really taking my time. I did drop one of the nuts in the black hole that is the engine bay but a quick trip to Lowes the following morning fixed that minor problem.

Performance:
So people in the other threads have discounted this intake saying that heat soak, idle issues, and warranty turned them away. I am happy to say that I have no idle issues at all and this comes after using it in stop and go traffic, on the highway, around town, and an autoX. This was my one big worry with buying this product but no such issues. As far as warranty goes my tech at the BMW dealership was actually the one who pushed me to purchase it.... I can pretty much do any mods I want and he will turn a blind eye and always honor my warranty. Even if you didn't have a Tech and SA as cool as mine it would not be that hard to just swap it back to stock before going into the dealership. Now onto the big question of heat soak... If you look at the intake on the E46 M3 CSL it is also open to the engine bay just like the AFE intake. In fact it is ever more open to hot engine bay air then the AFE intake. I think the only time you will get heat soak is when there is not air flow over the front of the car. Every other time, especially when you are driving fast, I think there is enough air flow going into the intake that will being sucking up cooler air rather then hot air. I have an idea though that I think might make heat soak even less of an issue. As we all know the stock air scoop in the Z4M is not to good at ramming air into the intake whether it be stock or aftermarket. So I was thinking of pairing the AFE intake with the scoop from RPI as then there would def be positive air flow going over the intake. I might even fab up my own intake scoop that is a little larger then the RPI one to gain even more flow. I am still deciding what to do in regards to this so I will let everybody know once I come up with a plan. As far as actual performance goes I am going to have to give the AFE intake a positive review. The biggest difference is in the 1,000 to 4,000 rpm range where as the stock car seems to have a little lag in the is band the car with the AFE intake revs alot more free. I think the best way to describe it is as if you replaced a dirty air filter with a brand new clean one.. it just simply revs better. I am lucky enough to have my brother's M Coupe sitting in the garage right next to mine with which to make comparisons so I can def say this is just not a fluke. The car also pulls harder in the 7,000+ rpm range and overall I can say once the car hard a couple days to adjust to the new air flow it for sure is making a tiny bit more power. Even if it made the same power as stock the sound alone would justify the price of admission.... think CSL intake sound! It makes the car sound like it has an angry lion under the hood trying to break out.

In the end I am happy with my purchase and idk if it helped or not but I did take a first place finish at the BMW CCA autoX I ran with the intake!

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Thanks for sharing. Does it sound like this?

Cheers.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.

Last edited by Burt Reynolds; 10-01-2008 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
Thanks for sharing. Does it sound like this?

Cheers.
It sounds almost identical to that... I would say if anything its completely identical to the sound of sixspeeds GruppeM intake. The CSL one might have a touch more bark to it. My brother and I were both remarking on how its almost overpowers the sound of my SS race from inside the cabin.

Some vids of sixspeeds car

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShift View Post
I had a feeling this was coming.... I'll take some shots tomorrow and post them up

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
killjohnnyforan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

get the ESS reflash, you'll prob notice more gain. just put it in today, still waiting for my gruppe m, but i have the rogue mufflers. if you want to experience it come thru queens!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjohnnyforan View Post
get the ESS reflash, you'll prob notice more gain. just put it in today, still waiting for my gruppe m, but i have the rogue mufflers. if you want to experience it come thru queens!
I think I am going to be putting my name down for the ess flash group buy. I think the best bet to get them to turn off the secondary 02 sensors too. I was down at Rouge Engineering and they suggested this along with a set of ebay headers. I was asking Ben how hard the install would be and he was telling me I would pretty much be able to take off all the bolts from the headers on the top side of the engine bay... much easier then the m3. We should for sure meet up.. I want to feel the power of that ess flash. Are you going to Bimmerfest?

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
wyu177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 m240i

could you post some vids of the car with the intake?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
killjohnnyforan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
I think I am going to be putting my name down for the ess flash group buy. I think the best bet to get them to turn off the secondary 02 sensors too. I was down at Rouge Engineering and they suggested this along with a set of ebay headers. I was asking Ben how hard the install would be and he was telling me I would pretty much be able to take off all the bolts from the headers on the top side of the engine bay... much easier then the m3. We should for sure meet up.. I want to feel the power of that ess flash. Are you going to Bimmerfest?
in jersey sat def. the dudes at rogue are mad cool, they told me the same thing, but i herd there are underlying issues in doing that so idk
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #10
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

nice thanks f360. i have a feeling that you will get more power out of the intake with the ESS tune. post some vids in cabin. im thinking of ordering this piece after your review
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjohnnyforan View Post
in jersey sat def. the dudes at rogue are mad cool, they told me the same thing, but i herd there are underlying issues in doing that so idk
What underlying issues? See you at bimmerfest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
nice thanks f360. i have a feeling that you will get more power out of the intake with the ESS tune. post some vids in cabin. im thinking of ordering this piece after your review
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyu177 View Post
could you post some vids of the car with the intake?

thanks
I will try and get some vids tomorrow as long as the weather is not as crappy as today and yesterday.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #12
tintboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

MMMMM?

The headers are a tight fit but can be done. There are a few mods that have to be done to the headers to make it right. Ive had them on for over 3000 miles and no problems. Ive even ran 110 leaded and no cracks. Over all im very pleased with them. See you guys at BMFeast.

PAST~2011 E92M3 Space Grey Gintani STAGE X
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #13
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

i'll be at bmfeast and want to see everyones stuff!
      10-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #14
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintboy View Post
The headers are a tight fit but can be done. There are a few mods that have to be done to the headers to make it right. Ive had them on for over 3000 miles and no problems. Ive even ran 110 leaded and no cracks. Over all im very pleased with them. See you guys at BMFeast.
What mods have to be done to make them fit? I am thinking of getting the same JVT headers you have. Can't wait to see them at bimmerfest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///M View Post
i'll be at bmfeast and want to see everyones stuff!
I am sort of scared that I am going to end up seeing all this stuff I just have to have and I am going to come home and drain my bank account

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #15
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
I am sort of scared that I am going to end up seeing all this stuff I just have to have and I am going to come home and drain my bank account
You say that like it's a bad thing. Better to spend it on your car than watch it disappear in the stock market.

Now put your name on the ESS reflash GB list

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #16
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing. Better to spend it on your car than watch it disappear in the stock market.

Now put your name on the ESS reflash GB list
both of you make very good points haha
      10-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
DirtBag335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
What mods have to be done to make them fit? I am thinking of getting the same JVT headers you have. Can't wait to see them at bimmerfest!
I have had the JVT headers for 6,000 miles with zero problems. It is the best bang for the buck mod on these cars, not to mention the sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #18
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag335 View Post
I have had the JVT headers for 6,000 miles with zero problems. It is the best bang for the buck mod on these cars, not to mention the sound.
Are you running software to get rid of the CEL? Also did you do the install yourself or have some one else do it?

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #19
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Excellent review!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #20
Speedtronix714
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Pinto

Check this out before you buy an Afe! Post shows an actual Dyno printout not a feel and hear review.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...3222&hl=intake
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #21
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian915 View Post
Check this out before you buy an Afe! Post shows an actual Dyno printout not a feel and hear review.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...3222&hl=intake
Well thank you for posting about the results of an intake for a 550i and trying to apply it to a z4. Its comparing apples to oranges.... Just because a product doesn't work on one car doesn't mean all their products are crap. Thats like saying because BMW made one bad car all the other are bad too. Infact here is a quote from that thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I am the guy that put up the money for the AFE for my E60 M5 that was dyno'd at RPI. I have no affiliation with RPI and am nothing more than a Dyno customer at their shop (I do have the scoops, however). I am a former AFE owner from my E46 M3 and had great luck with that one. So I decided to sack up and throw down the $$$ to be the guinea pig for this one.
It seems to me that the only guys that are having trouble with this intake are the e60 guys. You don't need to go around like Paul Revere posting in every AFE thread saying that there products sucks. I posted my "feel and hear review" to give my take on the intake. I even said in my "feel and hear" that I didn't know if it made power or not but I posted that review to share my take on the intake. Also I said that the stock intake scoop needs to be replaced. To me this is the biggest bottle neck in getting fresh air to either the stock intake or the AFE. With out getting rid of this bottle neck you right in that the AFE will suck in warm air. Mostly becuase with the stock up turned intake scoop (don't know how it is on the e60) does a horrible job or getting air to the filter. RPI proved this by making there scoops and showing that this was a large bottle neck with dyno runs.

Oh here is a picture of what must be the most expensive "hot air intake" of all time.... but what does BMW know when making intakes?

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #22
Speedtronix714
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Pinto

I wasnt trying to cause any hard feelings. I just thought my fellow BMW enthusiasts should know whats been going on with certain aFe products. Yes the 5 and Z are totally different cars. But the materials and design of both intakes are close to similar. Both are non-sealed and made of metal which is a good conductor of heat.
Appreciate 0