ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-30-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

E86 H&R Coilovers Knock -- FIXED!!!

I am super happy as I finally was able to fix a little knocking noise I had in the front suspension of my Z4MC. This noise has been there since I bought the car, and I actually changed the coils it had to H&R thinking it could be the coils and camber plates setup I had, as solid mounts inevitably result in higher NVH.

Well, I was disappointed to find that the new coils would do the same

After searching online I found that some times the problem is with the springs as the coils can slap one another, so I found that some companies like TEIN and EIBACH do coils spring sleeves and so I decided to give it a go.

I just installed those on the fronts and OMG, the noise is completely gone and it just saved me from throwing more money at this issue as I was thinking that my control arms and bushings may be wrong since everything else is new!

I kid you not, the ride now has a pliant ride over pavement joints that before were very harsh and abrupt and would create a knock, now is completely silent and feels more compliant.

When looking at the OE spring is evident why they are silent, all coils are of a different diameter, so even when the coil compresses fully the coils never touch, the lowering spring of H&R coilovers, on the other hand, have the same diameter for the top 3 coils, then reduce gradually to meet the adjustable perch. These 3 coils are almost at max compression with the vehicle on the ground so any small suspension travel make them contact and when the move is quick and sudden they slap creating the knock

Below the images of what sleeves I used and how they look installed, I used one sleeve per spring which is enough as covering the middle of the 3 top coils give cushion to the progressive part of the spring.

Name:  IMG_0112.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  394.7 KB

Sorry for the poor light, but you can see the sleeve in the next two photos

Name:  IMG_0106.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  118.6 KB

I bought 4 of these sleeves as sometimes my rear does it too so this weekend I will put them on as I need to take the wheels off and maybe even lose the shock to squeeze the sleeve on. the front went in, in seconds. It took me more time identifying where to start putting the sleeve to cover the right contact areas.

Last edited by maupineda; 07-01-2020 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 3
XMetal1125.00
AK72286.00
      07-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Garage List
Thanks for posting this, I just ordered a set of H&R coilovers and might as well get some of these and put them on preemptively!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion_2 View Post
Thanks for posting this, I just ordered a set of H&R coilovers and might as well get some of these and put them on preemptively!
I would 100%. My coils were new installed with all new mounts, hardware, etc, and had the issue. The issue is there by design. I don't see why wouldn't you have it. Also, even when setup to the highest setting is not enough for me. So I would advise buying the rear taller upper spring pads (10 or 15mm) and a KW perch spacer.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 03:44 PM   #4
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

I bought some of these as well got a set of 4 shipped for 70 bucks. I still need to get all new bushings for the rear and front sway bar links. I'm thinking about going OEM. Anyone have any input? (I too have new yet to be installed H&r coilovers)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJW2OO4 View Post
I bought some of these as well got a set of 4 shipped for 70 bucks. I still need to get all new bushings for the rear and front sway bar links. I'm thinking about going OEM. Anyone have any input? (I too have new yet to be installed H&r coilovers)
I have not done anything with my bushings at the rear yet, but given how stiff our cars are, I am sure I will go with OE, but I don't track the car, nor have intentions to. is my weekend toy only.
Appreciate 0