ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #67
maupineda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
So they are different.. even to open. The E46 m3 is a breeze compared to the z4m diff.. nearly impossible to open.. have to drill out the locking ball bearing and then get a 4 meter extension bar on a specially made mount in a press.. let's just call that bloody hard...

Anyways, decided after opening the diff to just buy a proper LSD.
Hi, any pictures you could share, I am planning to rebuild mine with new clutch packs and a 4.1 gear set
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #68
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

How are you going to open it?

I might shoot some pics when I get down the shop next time when my diff arrives
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #69
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:

What LSD did you end up going with? I was going to buy replacement clutches from RacingDiff for the stock LSD but they advised it would be almost impossible to get open.

I am looking at their 4 clutch set up paired with a 3.91 or 4.10. Originally i was all 4.10 but i am wondering now if it might be too short on some occasions.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #70
maupineda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If I have gotten it right, you need to split it just like the E46M3...

remove the ring bolts
press or tap out the ring out
remove the small screws on the backside of the ring seat
split the upper part open

^^ Watch from 3:52 through 5:30

I know is a different carrier, hence why I ask if the bolts' array is different

if you could point how different the process would be, it will help greatly.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:07 PM   #71
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Interesting video.
But who noticed 2 important steps that he forgot? (or at least: didn't film )
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:20 AM   #72
maupineda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have reached out to them and got a very detailed answer, so yes, the diff is different and to open you need a special tool (can be made up) and drill a steel pin/ball out that secures the cap, then unscrew the whole cap.

The Z4M uses the V2 of this design, as well as some late production M3s, and so is shared with the E92 and E60, and it has an additional set of clutches, so I think V2 can handle more torque as it was used on the V10 engine.

To the above point, backlash and mesh can be skipped if no change to the gearset. they said 100% of the time they checked it both come back on point. if you change the gearset, shimming the carrier is all that is needed. they really seem to know these diffs inside out, something I did not get with the US suppliers. I mean, changing bearings and crush sleeve is nothing special other than the intese labour and specialty tools required for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:12 PM   #73
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
To the above point, backlash and mesh can be skipped if no change to the gearset. they said 100% of the time they checked it both come back on point. if you change the gearset, shimming the carrier is all that is needed. they really seem to know these diffs inside out, something I did not get with the US suppliers. I mean, changing bearings and crush sleeve is nothing special other than the intese labour and specialty tools required for it.
I would never skip on backlash (that was one of my points).
Especially as it's a measurement that takes maybe 30 sec to do.
They change bearings. So measuring backlash is the fastest and simpelest of measurements to immediately see if something's wrong. For example the bearings could be slightly out of spec or not seated properly. That is why you do that.
So to me this is cutting corners. It has nothing to do with knowing diff's inside out. A diff is quite a simple machine. They don't follow workshop manual procedure if they don't measure the backlash. And I don't mean jsut BMW's workshop manual procedure, but virtually all manufacturers workshop manual procedures.
Skipping on blueing the gears if the gearset isn't changed I can imagine. That is also a lot of work. But backlash? nah.

The second thing is that they don't secure the central nut securing plate on the input axis.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #74
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Got my diff back, well the outer case is the only thing that's still original from the upgrade. I ended up buying a custom race diff from them in Cerbia, and got it installed by Gear Masters here in DXB (.) anyways, pumking came in a nice box and included new output shafts.

Took a week or so before it was all back together plumbed in with a temp sender. The preload is tight, but will loosen up a bit I'd say, and the backlash is 0.08. which to me is a lot, however when I checked with the supplier, said it's nicely in spec.

Looking forwards to running this in a bit..

https://www.racingdiffs.com/collecti...33671153090695

And specified for circuit racing..
1.5 way (30/60 ramp angle) Maximal number of active clutches.

backlash set.

Temp sensor plumbed into the case.

Running in will be very easy hardly no load 20 minutes, then cool down 30 mins, another 20 mins at low load, then another 30 mins cooling and then 30 minutes at medium stick. Then 30 mins cool, and then 20 mins at full stick, then swap oil and done.

Last edited by Vanne; 11-17-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 2
wdb2496.00