ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #23
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlor View Post
Exact thing just happen to me and my 03 Z4. Left the windows down in the garage overnight, came back and couldnt open the door. Rolled up the windows after reading this thread and viola, the door opened.

Thanks for letting us know, saved me a lot of pain!
You're very welcome
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #24
JoeNJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

I know this is a very old thread, but I have had the same problem for over a year (Key Fob will not open doors, center console will not open doors; the lock clicks like it wants to open but does not appear to have the "strength" to unlock). I have seen several references to a cable in the door between the lock and the door latch which is a problem which I will investigate.

In searching once again for a solution, I saw this and can share a workaround I have been living with: I found if you insert the key into the door lock, rotate it as though you were unlocking the door and while still rotated, lift the door handle. The door will open, even though the button never pops up.

I have been reluctant to try some of the proposed solutions without some confidence they will actually resolve the problem - the method above lets me open the door for now...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #25
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNJ View Post
I know this is a very old thread, but I have had the same problem for over a year (Key Fob will not open doors, center console will not open doors; the lock clicks like it wants to open but does not appear to have the "strength" to unlock). I have seen several references to a cable in the door between the lock and the door latch which is a problem which I will investigate.

In searching once again for a solution, I saw this and can share a workaround I have been living with: I found if you insert the key into the door lock, rotate it as though you were unlocking the door and while still rotated, lift the door handle. The door will open, even though the button never pops up.

I have been reluctant to try some of the proposed solutions without some confidence they will actually resolve the problem - the method above lets me open the door for now...
Hello!

Have you tried my solution? I bet the cable needs to be tied away
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #26
globbs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E85

Experiencing exact same thing on my 05 Z4. First off driver's door started malfunctioning, now passengers door too. My workaround is to try opening the roof with a key fob or by rotating the key in the door as if I wanted to open the roof and then when the window goes down I stop the process and open the door from the inside. In my case button unlocks trouble I have is that pulling the handle does nothing. Happens more often when it's hot outside. It's less of a problem when parked in a cold garage.

SwissArmy does that sound familiar? If so, I'll get the car to shop and ask them to do what they did on yours.

Thanks ahead guys for your replies.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #27
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by globbs View Post
Experiencing exact same thing on my 05 Z4. First off driver's door started malfunctioning, now passengers door too. My workaround is to try opening the roof with a key fob or by rotating the key in the door as if I wanted to open the roof and then when the window goes down I stop the process and open the door from the inside. In my case button unlocks trouble I have is that pulling the handle does nothing. Happens more often when it's hot outside. It's less of a problem when parked in a cold garage.

SwissArmy does that sound familiar? If so, I'll get the car to shop and ask them to do what they did on yours.

Thanks ahead guys for your replies.
Hey globbs. What are the odds! My driver side bowden cable finally snapped yesterday. I took off the passenger side and put it on the driver side.

I just got home from the dealership with two new bowden cables.

Yes, when it's hot it sticks. That's how it started for me, and I got a shop to tie the cable away. But, as I have learned, it just means your cable is about to fail.

I recommend changing the cable on both the driver side and passenger side. It's super duper simple
Appreciate 0