ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0I

Garage List
Out of Winter Storage

Does anyone remove spark plugs and turn the engine over to get a bit of oil circulating in the engine before the 1st start up after hibernation? I never have in my other winter storage cars, but they were not my special babies. May or may not be worth the trouble. What's your thoughts on this?

Thanks!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmcst View Post
Does anyone remove spark plugs and turn the engine over to get a bit of oil circulating in the engine before the 1st start up after hibernation? I never have in my other winter storage cars, but they were not my special babies. May or may not be worth the trouble. What's your thoughts on this?

Thanks!!!!
I would say it's probably a little overkill, replacing spark plugs all the time may wear down the threads in the cylinder head over time if anything. I could be wrong but just a thought. I get a little nervous too on the first start. I just leave the key in position two for a minute to make sure everything is primed as can be and cross my fingers. A couple years ago it woke up with a misfire. But that went away after an Italian tune-up. Keep in mind these are very robust engines, maybe if it was an S54 I would be more concerned.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Not necessary if car has been sitting just over winter. However fresh oil and filter are a must if this was not done before storage .
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #4
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Nope...not part of my routine. I didn't get a chance to change the oil before winter so I'll do it shortly after taking it out of storage. Keeping an eye on my lead levels so I'm curious what the analysis would show.

Will probably do the diff fluid at the same time. I got 2 bottles last summer but hadn't swapped it yet.
      04-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Main Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster View Post
I would say it's probably a little overkill, replacing spark plugs all the time may wear down the threads in the cylinder head over time if anything. I could be wrong but just a thought. I get a little nervous too on the first start. I just leave the key in position two for a minute to make sure everything is primed as can be and cross my fingers. A couple years ago it woke up with a misfire. But that went away after an Italian tune-up. Keep in mind these are very robust engines, maybe if it was an S54 I would be more concerned.
My main concern was that if the cylinders were dry of oil there might be some scuffing. Much less load if the plugs were out for a few revs.

Thanks to all your responses. I most likely will follow your advice. Pulling plugs that have been seated for many years can cause MAJOR problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My main concern was that if the cylinders were dry of oil there might be some scuffing. Much less load if the plugs were out for a few revs.

Thanks to all your responses. I most likely will follow your advice. Pulling plugs that have been seated for many years can cause MAJOR problems.
I think that would be more of a problem for cars that have been stored for years and years without a start. I just make sure I use non-ethanol based fuel, rev the engine a few times before I shut it off and I think that's what's best. Like I said, these engines go 250,000+ miles regularly. Aside from their quirks, the bock and head are very durable. Don't worry about it. It sounds like you maintain it properly and you care, that's where the real battle is for any car be it a Civic or Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 07:43 AM   #7
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Got home yesterday at 3:00. Unloaded the van, disconnected the battery tender, removed cover, removed moth balls, checked oil level, aired tires ( didn't need much, all @ 32#) Fired 'er up, dusted off 'er while warming. 4:00---YYEEEEEEHHHHHAAAAAA !!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #8
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Got home yesterday at 3:00. Unloaded the van, disconnected the battery tender, removed cover, removed moth balls, checked oil level, aired tires ( didn't need much, all @ 32#) Fired 'er up, dusted off 'er while warming. 4:00---YYEEEEEEHHHHHAAAAAA !!!!!!!
Yeaaahhhhhhhh budday! You take care of her so hopefully she will keep you entertained during all of this.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #9
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
just pulled mine out of the CarBag this past Saturday, I know that feeling put the battery back in and started right up with no issues

(side note w/ a plug- for those of you like me in northern climates storing in an unheated garage, couldn't recommend the CarBag more, worked out so great, I had mine in hibernation for 6 months without an issue)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0