ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-12-2022, 10:14 PM   #1
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Wear on driver's side bolster after 3 months

I have standard sport seats in Tartufo. It is my DD.

I have noticed that the driver's side bolster is showing some signs of wear from getting in and out of it. It also is getting a weird crease where it looks like the bolster gets compressed when getting into the seat.

I try to be really gentle getting in and out of it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to recondition or protect the leather?

Or is this just a fact of life with a leather bolster like this?

Ugh.

Ugh again, why do some photos rotate when posted here…?
Attached Images

Last edited by 8262S; 10-13-2022 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #2
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

I’d say that’s worthy of a warranty claim.
Limegrntaln13469.00
      10-13-2022, 07:34 PM   #3
8262S
Captain
Rep

I will be taking it in to have that looked at and make a warranty claim.

But for those who have had their cars for 6+ months, does your car look like this?

In the 3 months we have had this case, we have put 4,000 miles on it.
      10-13-2022, 07:58 PM   #4
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

For ingress, do you step-n-slide, or sit-n-spin? Over 40+ years I've had plenty of sport seats with prominent side bolsters. The step-n-slide approach produces the wear marks you're beginning to see.

These days, in order to protect a bum hip as much as preserve the leather, I sit-n-spin. I drop my backside on the seat, lift myself off the seat as I rotate 90° to get my legs in, then settle back in the seat. Doing so applies the least friction on the outer side bolsters. No wear or creases anywhere after 11,000 miles / 11 months.

I doubt your dealership or BMW USA will approve a warranty claim on that, as it's normal wear and tear (especially with softer leather with finer grain). Leatherique offers dyes to match any OEM color (BMW or otherwise); if you go that route, follow instructions and apply multiple, thin coats vs. a single thick coat. The creases are 'patina', I'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 08:48 AM   #5
PHXATC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 '20 430i '20 Explorer

Some points to ponder:

Do you have a feature (comfort? I can't keep up with every car's feature anymore) that allows your seat to be pushed back as far as it can when you enter and exit, or open/close the door? If so, maybe ensure that is on so you aren't brushing against the bolster.

As was said above, it is the method you enter and exit the seat that is most likely causing the premature wear on the bolster. Use the sit and spin method as best you can.

Along with the sit and spin method (that cracks me up every time I say it) ensure you have quality protection on not only the bolster, but the entire leather surface (and vinyl) on the seat.

The leather is just dyed leather, no matter what it is marketed as. Painted, if you will, so you have rubbed some of the 'paint' off. Easily fixed either by yourself or the dealer. Speaking of dealer, if your car only has 4000 total miles on it and is only 3 months old, then I would deem this a warranty claim, if it were mine. They won't replace the entire seating surface, although they might repair it with some dye.

The good thing is, you have light wear and it is very unnoticeable unless you're staring right at it. Fix it up, modify your ingress/egress a little to be more careful, and protect the leather going forward.

If you're saying it is ridiculous to ask an owner to get in and out of a vehicle a certain way to prevent this early wear, then I agree, that is entirely silly when you have other manufacturers "leather" that can withstand much more abuse than simple ingress/egress. It is what it is, so work with it and embrace it. If it makes you feel any better, the 992 models of Porsche 911s also have owner's reporting the same thing. And some 991.2 models also - so it is not just a you thing or a BMW thing.
Appreciate 1
Joachim328.00
      10-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #6
8262S
Captain
Rep

Thanks everyone.

I tried the sit and spin method last night in the garage. It didn’t work out so well.

Perhaps bc of my seat positioning I was not able to move my lower legs in — the bottom of my foot to knee is longer than the steering wheel column to floor. And I am average height.

I’ll see what the dealership says and report back.

No I am not super enthused with this wear after 3 months. But the rest of the car is fantastic!

Guess I am glad I didn’t get the bucket, huh? Every morning when I put my briefcase behind the drivers seat I think about wear on the back of the CF bucket. I’d guess that shiny finish, which looks great, is easily marred with even mild contact.
      10-19-2022, 12:01 PM   #7
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
The crease is normal and will happen. The other stuff, not sure. Bolsters will wear fast if youre brushing them every time you get in and out. The problem is that these cars dont have comfort access. I just set up seat settings for 1 and 2 and 2 is the same but with the seat all the way back. Pain in the ass but hey the car was only 100k right?
Appreciate 1
Joachim328.00
      10-24-2022, 08:20 AM   #8
superiaultra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red M3

I think it depends on a magnitude of things. How far your wheel is out, how close to the seat you are, if you have a M3 or M4, and how big you are. The sit and spin doesn’t work for me at all, I’ve owned all generation m3’s minus the F8X, and I do the one foot in, left hand on sill method. But if you are too close to the wheel and bigger guy, it’s inevitable you will hit that bolster.
Appreciate 0