ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-20-2023, 07:18 AM   #1
23_M50i_Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 M50i

STEK PPF Rough Surface

Hi all. Have a Carbon Black M50i and did the whole car with STEK gloss PPF. Added SB3 ceramic coating on the whole car. The passenger fender and hood have a rough feel to them. Rest of the car surface is smooth as silk. Any ideas on what could be going on here? Any advice on how to remove? Took back to installer and they clayed the areas...was slightly better but still way rougher...almost like sandpaper feel...I don't like doing harsh things like clay and/or polishing over the PPF/ceramic. I did have the car parked near a construction site where they were grinding concrete and saw dust clouds...could that be it? Whatever it is, any recommendations other than a PPF reinstall....?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 09:59 AM   #2
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
If it was residue from the construction site wouldn’t the entire car be affected?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 10:57 AM   #3
23_M50i_Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 M50i

Car was parked at an angle to the dust, exposing the passenger fender and hood to the direction of the dust. I'm wondering if the sun heated up the PPF and the concrete dust particles landed/etched into the PPF...what I can't figure out is how that would happen with a ceramic coating on the surface as well. That coating was only on for 5 months, so it should be pretty darn resilient I would think...don't know what to do to try to get the rough grit feel off the surface of the PPF now.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 04:52 PM   #4
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23_M50i_Guy View Post
Car was parked at an angle to the dust, exposing the passenger fender and hood to the direction of the dust. I'm wondering if the sun heated up the PPF and the concrete dust particles landed/etched into the PPF...what I can't figure out is how that would happen with a ceramic coating on the surface as well. That coating was only on for 5 months, so it should be pretty darn resilient I would think...don't know what to do to try to get the rough grit feel off the surface of the PPF now.
Most ceramic coatings are just durable hydrophobic coatings. They don't really repel anything else. For example, water spotting is usually even worse after you get a ceramic coating. The protective properties are extremely oversold. If claying it doesn't work then you can try polishing with a PPF specific product like Gyeon PPF Renew, but replacement is probably your top option.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 05:59 PM   #5
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Whatever it is or what caused it, the PPF will have to be replaced on the affected areas.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 10:19 AM   #6
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

concrete dust is bad stuff and can ruin paint if left on. i'd imagine it getting on ppf then sitting in the heat would result in etching of some sort.
      11-21-2023, 10:49 AM   #7
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Bring it back to the installer and see if they will replace the affected areas under warranty. Of course, there might be some fine prints of warranty excluding such even. However, a reputable installer will try his best to make the customer happy.
Appreciate 0