ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #221
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
I didn't
      08-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #222
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
Did any of you remove the negative battery connection before removing the cluster?
nope
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #223
Angelito
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E86 Z4MC, 05 E46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Yes they did reply, and what I got was as white as they are going to make it. I looked at the pictures posted by kaybat and I am going to stay with these and install them. They will definitely help me see the needles, which is what I'm after. Thanks for the pics kaybat !
Copy, good luck with the installation; I'll be doing mine this weekend, will wait to see how my gray ones compare and will make the decision to order white ones after I see how they look in the car. Appreciate the quick response, cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #224
TheDetailer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Just installed my dark blue gauge faces!

The install was a lot easier than expected. All in it took about 45 minutes. The most daunting part was popping off the first needle. It does take a bit of pressure to get them off as mentioned

Last edited by TheDetailer; 08-07-2020 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 5
wdb4641.50
Rekla105.00
kaybat125.50
Vanne1586.00
      08-13-2020, 12:03 AM   #225
Angelito
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E86 Z4MC, 05 E46 330i

Here are the pics for the Gray ones, looking OEM+, pretty pleased with results (except I forgot to place backing tape over Coupe logo and also need to adjust Tach needle a bit lower). Disregard the yellow cast light on the night pic, that's my garage light.

I also switched the bright silver Speedo & Tach surrounds with a pair of charcoal gray ones I got from a wrecked Z4 cluster.

As far as the installation, I can tell you that the single screw holding the cluster in the car is a T20 Torx bit and that it is a pain in the rear to take off. Also, you may want to tackle cleaning the cluster pieces before your replace the speedo/tach faces, this will allow time for these to dry while you work on placing and testing the cluster. Lastly, it can be frustrating to take out the cluster, take a mental note when you take it out. Re-connecting and testing is easier because the large surrounds are not yet in place. One final note, I did not disconnect my battery cable either. Thanks to all who chimed in and shared their installation woes, definitely made life easier when following Cyclops' DIY video.
Attached Images

Last edited by Angelito; 08-13-2020 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 3
Cyclops1473.00
deemo3191728.50
      08-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #226
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
For those unfortunate souls that are waiting for the reprints, I received word that they came in yesterday and are going out today so hopefully, everyone will have them in hand by early next week!
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #227
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
For those unfortunate souls that are waiting for the reprints, I received word that they came in yesterday and are going out today so hopefully, everyone will have them in hand by early next week!

Saw mine shipped. I really don't mind the delay, they were totally transparent and communicated clearly about it. I'd rather wait a bit and have it done right . Kinda refreshing to see this kind of attention to quality and good communication as that's so rare in the car parts/mods space.

On to other topics--has anyone looked at (or completed) using a Sharpie or model paint to enhance the needles? Red faces look awesome with yellow needles, yellow faces with orange, and so on. I've seen posts on some other forums and the popular option seems to be a Sharpie. Doubt I want to try it though without a backup needle or two on hand...but it would take this up to the next level.

See example.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #228
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

That does look cool. I may try a contrast colour on my blue dial needles
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #229
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
That does look cool. I may try a contrast colour on my blue dial needles

Cool! LMK what process/approach you take and how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #230
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

If anyone is a bit unsure of taking their gauge cluster apart, I have a cluster from a Z4 off of a junker that I used that I’m willing to sell.

I harvested the silver needles from them so that they would show up easier on my red faces.

That being said, if anyone messed up their needles, and wants to buy my M needles (silver with orange/red stripe) let me know.

I can post pictures in a bit
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      08-23-2020, 11:40 PM   #231
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: red z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1nk50ck View Post
If anyone is a bit unsure of taking their gauge cluster apart, I have a cluster from a Z4 off of a junker that I used that I’m willing to sell.

I harvested the silver needles from them so that they would show up easier on my red faces.

That being said, if anyone messed up their needles, and wants to buy my M needles (silver with orange/red stripe) let me know.

I did the same as you by picking up a cheap used broken speedo for the needles and the rings which I had carbon fiber skinned. I painted mine white to contrast better

Did you have any issues aligning the new needles? I feel mine are a tad higher than the zero position now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      08-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #232
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rueyme View Post
I did the same as you by picking up a cheap used broken speedo for the needles and the rings which I had carbon fiber skinned. I painted mine white to contrast better

Did you have any issues aligning the new needles? I feel mine are a tad higher than the zero position now.
I followed the video instructions, and they were very thorough. I accidentally bumped my gas needle trying to take it back out of the car, and I guesstimated On the readjustment, I think it’s like a millimeter off on the low end, but that’s fine. The other needles all look solid.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 04:17 PM   #233
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If anyone is a bit unsure of taking their gauge cluster apart, I have a cluster from a Z4 off of a junker that I used that I'm willing to sell.

Awesome option!!! Looks great too!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #234
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What prep prior to painting did you do, and what kind of paint did you use – – spray, brush?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:04 AM   #235
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: red z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
What prep prior to painting did you do, and what kind of paint did you use – – spray, brush?
Since it won't be touched i simply just sprayed 2 light coats on it on a flat surface that had a tiny hole drilled in to allow it to sit flush.the peg of the needles where it attached to the cluster sat in the hole and it was enough to hit all angles of the needles.

The needles have a rough surface, not exactly smooth so the finish was the same as the stock silver but just now in white.

I used a standard exterior car body base coat white paint I had lying around for my other car.
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      08-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #236
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Since it won't be touched i simply just sprayed 2 light coats on it on a flat surface that had a tiny hole drilled in to allow it to sit flush.the peg of the needles where it attached to the cluster sat in the hole and it was enough to hit all angles of the needles.

The needles have a rough surface, not exactly smooth so the finish was the same as the stock silver but just now in white.

I used a standard exterior car body base coat white paint I had lying around for my other car.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #237
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Z4 M Roadster

Sorry to bring this back again but I can't seem to find the Z4m faces on venoxy anymore?

First time I put it on I had a small air pocket so the second time around months later I had my shop replace it with another and it turned out significantly worse and the needles are all out of place. Need to buy another one.

Also did anyone find a solution to positioning the needles? Last time I tried this every time I would connect the cluster back to the car the needles would move out of place and I had to keep going through a trial and error process for 4 hours to finally get it right by anticipating where the needles would move after reconnecting.

Also if anyone has a picture of where the needles are supposed to be on the right side when the car is off I'd greatly appreciate it. Lot of frustration with this for me
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 08:59 PM   #238
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

They arent shown on the website.
Just contact them for the gauge face.

I just recently bought a set.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 10:23 PM   #239
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank382 View Post
Sorry to bring this back again but I can't seem to find the Z4m faces on venoxy anymore?

First time I put it on I had a small air pocket so the second time around months later I had my shop replace it with another and it turned out significantly worse and the needles are all out of place. Need to buy another one.

Also did anyone find a solution to positioning the needles? Last time I tried this every time I would connect the cluster back to the car the needles would move out of place and I had to keep going through a trial and error process for 4 hours to finally get it right by anticipating where the needles would move after reconnecting.

Also if anyone has a picture of where the needles are supposed to be on the right side when the car is off I'd greatly appreciate it. Lot of frustration with this for me

BTW you can always ask them not to put adhesive on the back of the faces, this way you can just use double side tape if positioning is an issue.

Sound like you have a hard time positioning the needles. Why don't you remove the glass from the cluster and lightly install the needles at the 9 o'clock position, don't push the needle on the pin all the way just a millimeter or so that they just sit on the pin. Now install the cluster and turn the key on to 2nd position and move the needles by hand down to the 0s. Once satisfied with the position press the needles in all the way. Turn the key off/on and check if you are satisfied with the position, now you can remove the cluster again and reinstall the glass.

Hope that helps.

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 1
ryank382102.00
      04-14-2021, 07:09 AM   #240
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank382 View Post

BTW you can always ask them not to put adhesive on the back of the faces, this way you can just use double side tape if positioning is an issue.

Sound like you have a hard time positioning the needles. Why don't you remove the glass from the cluster and lightly install the needles at the 9 o'clock position, don't push the needle on the pin all the way just a millimeter or so that they just sit on the pin. Now install the cluster and turn the key on to 2nd position and move the needles by hand down to the 0s. Once satisfied with the position press the needles in all the way. Turn the key off/on and check if you are satisfied with the position, now you can remove the cluster again and reinstall the glass.

Hope that helps.
That definitely helps thank you for the advice, going to try that when I get my hands on the new guage face
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #241
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Guys I'm really losin it with this one. The gauges look nice but this is my most regretted mod by far. I put the my 2nd batch of gauges in, perfectly aligned this time with no damage or anything and set the needles perfect. I turn the car on a once or twice and the needles droop down a bit and drive me nuts so I disassembly again and adjust and they seem to sit fine now for a day. A few days later I get in my car and see they've drooped down again and look like this. How the hell do I permanently fix this

Edit: should I just adjust them and move them up one notch/click so it sits slightly above and then hope it drops down to where I need it to be? Or is there a more sophisticated solution I'm missing here. So jealous of everyone that was able to do this correctly right away on the first try

Edit 2 lol: just went on a drive and it drooped down a bit more about a mm
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 02:11 AM   #242
p4ddY
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: E84 3.0l N52

I'm actually looking for some pics of the 3.0si custom gauges... Anyone got pictures of them installed? thanks!