ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Seafoam safe for us Z4s to use?

I have used Seafoam in my truck with great results in the past. Do you think Seafoam is safe to use in our BMW engines? Has anyone else used it in their car with positive results?

Seafoam says I can use it in the gas tank, vacuum line and crank case.
I feel gas tank and vacuum line may be safer but crank case?

Given the specific engine oil we need to use (LL01, etc), I don't feel comfortable putting it into the crankcase as it might change the properties of the oil.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Zed2004
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 2.5

The mechanic I always bring my car too recommended that I use it in the gas tank every once in a while. Ive been using it once every couple of months and the car has been running well, but I'm not sure if I'd put it in the crankcase.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

I've been using Techron/Chevron every once in a while in my gas tank already so I'll probably stick with that. After some extensive research on the inernet, I've decided to stay away from Seafoam for our cars.

1) Someone put it in the 3 series crankcase and when they took apart the engine, all the crud and gunk was stuck in the VANOS.

2) I only use premium name brand gasoline and was told modern fuels have enough additives in them to keep our engines clean. Was also told Seafoam won't "burn" away carbon deposits and the smoke we see from seafoam is actually the seafoam burning itself away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed2004 View Post
The mechanic I always bring my car too recommended that I use it in the gas tank every once in a while. Ive been using it once every couple of months and the car has been running well, but I'm not sure if I'd put it in the crankcase.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
STIHLBOLTS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2020 Z4 M4.0i  [5.00]
I generally have used Sea foam as a stabilizer when leaving my equipment sitting. Never had any issues with the product. Always use the recommended amount per gallons of gas in the tank and you should not have any issues.

Regards

2013 335is E93
2018 X5 35d
BMWCCA / ZSCCA Member
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
I generally have used Sea foam as a stabilizer when leaving my equipment sitting. Never had any issues with the product. Always use the recommended amount per gallons of gas in the tank and you should not have any issues.

Regards
Yup our engines being the s54 that is ..".can handle seafoam
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

I've only used Techron by Chevron (formerly BMW Fuel System Cleaner repackaged) in the past.

After some Internet research I purchased 4 bottles of Red Line SI-1 and put a bottle of it in a few thousand miles ago.

I've heard mixed things about Sea Foam; my retail outlets sell thousands of cans of it per year so it is very popular. Not sure I would put it in the BMW myself...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0