ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

How many coolant hoses to replace? Should I replace them?

Looking to do some preventive maintenance on the Zed. Model is a '05 3.0 M54 engine.

Will be replacing fluid, expansion tank, waterpump, thermostat & housing. I'm leaving the radiatior as it looks pretty good for 78k miles and I have a limited budget. Should I do the hoses? I hear there's an upper and a lower but on REALOEM, I see a total of 3 water hoses. How many and which ones should I replace? (The hoses feel fine. Firm, not dried out, etc. and no leaks anywhere)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

If they are fine, I would leave them alone. If you need to replace 1, I would replace all with silicon and you'll never have to worry about them EVER again.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
The hoses don't really go bad, it's the O-ring in each end of the hoses that starts leaking.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep

are they replaceable?

Thanks for the tip Shipkiller. Are the O rings in the hoses replaceable? Do they sell them alone?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
The hoses don't really go bad, it's the O-ring in each end of the hoses that starts leaking.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Yes, the O-rings are replaceable, but NO they (BMW) do not sell them alone. You have to size them yourself. Remember, they are METRIC O-Rings.

The piece (O-ring) that normally fails first and starts leaking is the temp sensor.

The first sign of a failing O-ring is you start to loose coolant but there is NO coolant on the under tray...

What happens is an O-ring is starting to become non-elastic and HOT coolant is weeping past and flashing into steam...

You can pull a hose off in about 2 minutes. They use positive locking wire spring retainers. Just pull the retainer up and pull the hose off. Cold of course.

Also make sure you do a very good visual inspection to the tank. Tanks are a known failure item on the M54 motors.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep

YOU are the MAN!!! Just saved me a bunch of time and money. Thanks for the tip!
I'm going to change the expansion tank with a new one as a precaution.
I can pick up the O-rings from Home Depot or Autozone. Material of O-ring matter?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYZ4Jack View Post
YOU are the MAN!!! Just saved me a bunch of time and money. Thanks for the tip!
I'm going to change the expansion tank with a new one as a precaution.
I can pick up the O-rings from Home Depot or Autozone. Material of O-ring matter?
Material matters - http://www.marcorubber.com/compatibility.htm
Scroll down to Proplyene Glycol, although most materials are compatible with it.

Also look at the application: Heat range, Vibration, Pressure, Vacuum etc
http://www.marcorubber.com/material_chart.htm

Someone else may have a line on sizes - If not and it was me, I would get a nice set of calipers and measure.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C0ZPNO/..._df_B001C0ZPNO You can find good quality cheaper than this.

Measure what?
O-rings are spec'ed for size by interior diameter and thickness(cross section).
1. ID: So if you can measure the diameter of the what the hose will attach to that will get you close. You still need to determine the cross section.
2. Cross Section: If there is a groove that the oring fits in within the hose and you can measure that - you may have your answer but it may need to be smaller here because its going to compress.
3. you should also measure the O-ring directly, to see how this corresponds to previous measurements . Cross section wise this is probably the better of the two

Just cause I'm so anal then I'd probably buy that size and one size up and down.
Glad I saw this - I replaced all hoses on my 3, but probably not with the z.

Last edited by BruceJ; 07-15-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep

wow! that's a wealth of information, even a bit overwhelming! lol
thanks, i'll definitely look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
Material matters - http://www.marcorubber.com/compatibility.htm
Scroll down to Proplyene Glycol, although most materials are compatible with it.

Also look at the application: Heat range, Vibration, Pressure, Vacuum etc
http://www.marcorubber.com/material_chart.htm

Someone else may have a line on sizes - If not and it was me, I would get a nice set of calipers and measure.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C0ZPNO/..._df_B001C0ZPNO You can find good quality cheaper than this.

Measure what?
O-rings are spec'ed for size by interior diameter and thickness(cross section).
1. ID: So if you can measure the diameter of the what the hose will attach to that will get you close. You still need to determine the cross section.
2. Cross Section: If there is a groove that the oring fits in within the hose and you can measure that - you may have your answer but it may need to be smaller here because its going to compress.
3. you should also measure the O-ring directly, to see how this corresponds to previous measurements . Cross section wise this is probably the better of the two

Just cause I'm so anal then I'd probably buy that size and one size up and down.
Glad I saw this - I replaced all hoses on my 3, but probably not with the z.
Appreciate 0