ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Help leaning up

I have mandatory PT three days a week (monday, wed, thur) and we usually run. I lift back/bi...chest/tri but I would like to lean up. I was thinking the days I am not doing PT, I will run 2 miles or so and bike another 5 (trainer bike) or do 15 minutes of each on the off days, so I will be doing cardio 5-7 days a week. And if my shins are saying don't run today (shin splints) then I will double the bike for that day or something. Any suggestions? I have to eat dining facility food at penn state, so eating to perfection is not always an option.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Shit. It's the diet you need. No way to not eat shit food at cafeteria?

Oh and you shouldn't be getting shin splints if you're running on a track...if you are lengthen your stride.

Sorry...dunno much about cardio.

BoostedBMW will help you out I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

I can get around it, but that would just mean eating sandwiches. Usually I eat a lot of roast beef, tomato, lettuce, onion, jalapenos on wheat only sandwiches with water. Some times it's completely unavoidable. The tracks here are covered, treadmill or gym sprint workouts only besides the weekends.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Just go stand next to a wall...
      02-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

the food youve described isnt really a problem, eat alot of protein and vegis, limit your carbs (do not eliminate them) and avoid saturated fats, grease, starches, and most of all partially hydroginated oils (theyre so bad for you that theyre illeagal in europe and several american states)

your right by doubling up cardio. just make sure that when you lift your not just aiming to max out. the general rule of thumb is weight>reps= strength, and weight<reps=definition.

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

You are what you eat. You cannot outtrain a poor diet. I wouldn't have activity every day as the body needs time to repair itself. You break down the body during exercise; your time away from the gym/activity determines how well or poorly you repair and recover. As far as what to eat, I am a proponent of metabolic typing - eating the proper ratio of fats, carb, and protein for YOUR metabolism.

You will need to be in a small calorie deficit daily in order to lean out. Your resistance training should allow you keep the muscle you have and your activity/diet should foster a small calorie deficit. I am not a huge fan of your training split to be honest. I will let your trainer handle it though.

Your aerobic training should have your heart rate in the 70-80% of max heart rate in order to maximize fat calories burned. You can calculate this range by using this formula

(220-Age) x % Max heart rate (i.e. 70%) = # beats per minute for training zone

This will help identify your ideal heart rate training zone. You may also want to work in some short duration, high intensity anaerobic work (80-90%+ of max heart rate) to foster testosterone and HGH production as well as further improve cardiorespiratory efficiency.

As far as the shin splints go here is a protocol to help deal with them as well as some potential reasons why suffer from them -

Why?

weak core
weak anterior (front) of lower leg
poor movement mechanics/running form
improper footwear/arch support
weak posterior (back side of the body)
muscle imbalance
postural issues

Rehab -

stretching - hips, IT band, ankle mobility, hamstrings, quads, hip flexors (psoas)

foam roll

strengthen the anterior tibialis (front, lower leg) and the entire posterior chain (back of the body) - weak posterior = instability = compensation = pain

increase strength, stability, and flexibility at the hips to minimize compensation

improve core stabilization -- weak core = unstable pelvis = unstable hip, knee, ankle

assess posture and correct any areas of inflexibility or lack of mobility
continually seek imbalances and correct them
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

^^ bobby light's got you back dawg

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AeNqXHy1kjg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AeNqXHy1kjg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0