ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Buying new brake rotors and pads

So I've done some research and it seems like the Z4 M OEM brake rotors are good, but the pads aren't up to par. Have I understood this wrong? Maybe there's some better rotors out there. My front ones are worn out and need changing.

What pads should I go for?

The car will be driven very little on the track, if any. But some spirited driving on regular road.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
So I've done some research and it seems like the Z4 M OEM brake rotors are good, but the pads aren't up to par. Have I understood this wrong? Maybe there's some better rotors out there. My front ones are worn out and need changing.

What pads should I go for?

The car will be driven very little on the track, if any. But some spirited driving on regular road.
If you are not going to track it the stock pad are fine if a little bit too dusty. You have to ask yourself honestly whether you care about performance, quiet, or dust production. The more aggressive the pad compound the better performance when hot especially on track but, the worse dust production and noise becomes. For your situation I would use the Performance friction Z rated pad. It dusts less than stock has excellent feel and can even withstand a beginner track day with ease.
George
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
If you are not going to track it the stock pad are fine if a little bit too dusty. You have to ask yourself honestly whether you care about performance, quiet, or dust production. The more aggressive the pad compound the better performance when hot especially on track but, the worse dust production and noise becomes. For your situation I would use the Performance friction Z rated pad. It dusts less than stock has excellent feel and can even withstand a beginner track day with ease.
George
Thanks for a good reply. I've been looking a bit on the Racing Brake rotors and StopTech Street Performance pads. Any thoughts about that? Or I'll just go OEM rotors again but slightly harder pads.
Appreciate 0