ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #111
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
There are little differences once you go the fixed caliper route. The simple determination should be "what's the kit with the biggest, best rotor with the easiest install that will fit my existing hardware with the best price."

Find a kit that meets most criteria above. If you're racing the car heavily, add "which caliper kit has the racing compound I use and what other race specific caliper features does it have, like billet construction, stainless steel pistons, additional stiffening bridge...etc."

I'm not going to make YOUR decision for you. You already know which kit I have on the car.
Yes but you have RB not because you believe RB is smarter but rather because you had their rotors and they offered you the ability to progressively update.

In my case, i am going from full stock to fulll BBK front and rear, cost is almost the same between 323 PFC and RB.

Now help me choose based on the above:
Btw why do you think 323x32 is a smaller heatsink than 348x30, the width of the rotor is irrelevant?

Comparison:
Caliper
PFC:
forged, split in two and botled with nuts
Uses stainless steel caps on the pistons
the dust boot is hidden behind the SS cap
Zero Drag, nothing said about knockback with the ability to install knockback springs but that would sacrifice drag
The caliper shape protects the fluid lines on the corners

RB:
2 piece forged, botled in the caliper instead of using nuts
Dust boots are hidden way back
According to RB, they are using springs (not the coil knockback springs) behind the pad retention mechanism that will keep the pad where it should be next to piston behind the rotor => to me this is zero drag
They say knockback is non-existant in their caliper but i don't understand how
protection to fluid lines is less than PFC

Rotor:
PFC: won many races, heat treated and balanced with mobyldenium and carbon compounds
curved vanes
fully floating with no bolts or nuts directly bolted to the ring (V2)
RB: hardness test is very very high, heat treated, balanced
center-mount with air intake from outside and inside
convergent Curved vanes
fully floating but accused by PFC in the below thread that the attachement system used might torque and bind with the hat removing the float
http://forums.evolutionm.net/3473023-post52.html
Also according to PFC the laminar cooling is negligible and it's all about turbulence

Pads:
PFC: hella expensive but with record wins all over the place
RB: shit cheap and could be enough for a less than professional racing

/Discuss

My experience in racing is much less than yours HACK and this is where your feedback and the feedback of others can be helpful to help me get information.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #112
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

The surface of the rotor is what dissipate heat. The 348mm rotor has significantly more surface area to manage the heat dissipation. On that fact along I would choose the kit with the larger rotor, despite the thinner rotor.

And I don't like it when vendors engage in smear campaigns against each other. I used to work in the industry so it pains me to see a quality manufacturer like PFC ragging on another vendor's product to hock their own. There's little reason to do so, PFC hardware is superb and would stand on their own against anyone's product.

For me, the rotors I've been using for the last 8 years from RacingBrake has shown that they're high quality products. Yes, I chose RB calipers because I already had RB rotors on the car. But I also chose RB calipers BECAUSE I had RB rotors for so long and had been impresses with the performance and the life and the quality and know I would get a high quality and well engineered product.

In all honesty, you will get a kit that's far more engineered than your current need with either the RB kit or PFC kit. If both kits come with the same size rotor, same caliper construct, and same price? I'd buy the PFC kit because of their reputation. But if the RB kit has larger rotors, or is cheaper? I'd take the RB kit. If I was racing? I'd take whichever vendor sponsors me. That's how confident I am in either company.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0