ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
E8SEHHX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 GTO & 07 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Fortune Auto Coilovers

So I did a search on the forum and it seems that no one has ever posted about Fortune Auto Coilovers. Does anyone have any experience or reviews on them? I have a friend who runs them on his e36 M3 and is very happy with them. I have driven his car and rode passenger and they handle really well. He paid about $1500 with the swift spring upgrade. I am thinking about trying these out, but I dont want to rule out AST or KWV3s just yet. Just dont want to have to spend an extra thousand if I dont need to.

http://www.fortune-auto.com/products.htm

I know for sure I want coilovers over springs. Made that mistake during my GTO days. Won't be doing much tracking, if even once or twice a year. Other than that, I want a comfortable ride since I will be driving the Z4MC daily plus lower the car an inch or so to fit my custom 18" Workmeister M1Rs.
07 BSM Z4 M Coupe | Fortune Auto Coilovers | Super Sprint V2 Headers| Epic Tune| RPI Exhaust | RPI Ram Intake | RE RaceBrace | ZHP Knob | CF Kidney Grills | CF Stubby | Work Meister M1R wheels | Mstache 2 | Euroboutique Shark Fin Diffuser
06 PBM Pontiac GTO M6 | 1 of 417 | BC Racing Coilovers | SAP Fascia | WCS Air Splitter | CF Rear Diffuser | GMM Ripshifter | Lingenfelter CAI
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Jroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Fortune Auto makes a great product, if you're interested I suggest you look into Broadway Static.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
cervasa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0 6spd

ive heard they are made in korea by the same company that does the bc coils which are cheaper.. i personally have never bought any of those products before so i cant comment on quality..but i do know someone that ran on stance which are korean and they started leaking after a year
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
E8SEHHX
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cervasa View Post
ive heard they are made in korea by the same company that does the bc coils which are cheaper.. i personally have never bought any of those products before so i cant comment on quality..but i do know someone that ran on stance which are korean and they started leaking after a year
Stance is a totally different company and I would never run those.

Fortune Auto is a US based suspension company. Not Korean.

I have made a decision. Going to be the guinea pig and ordering custom coilovers from Fortune Auto. 5 year warranty.
07 BSM Z4 M Coupe | Fortune Auto Coilovers | Super Sprint V2 Headers| Epic Tune| RPI Exhaust | RPI Ram Intake | RE RaceBrace | ZHP Knob | CF Kidney Grills | CF Stubby | Work Meister M1R wheels | Mstache 2 | Euroboutique Shark Fin Diffuser
06 PBM Pontiac GTO M6 | 1 of 417 | BC Racing Coilovers | SAP Fascia | WCS Air Splitter | CF Rear Diffuser | GMM Ripshifter | Lingenfelter CAI
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTUHOH View Post

I have made a decision. Going to be the guinea pig and ordering custom coilovers from Fortune Auto. 5 year warranty.
Why not wait for Ohlins R&T? It is custom build for Z4M and perhaps the only chance to purchase.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761764

Last edited by RobMCoupe; 03-29-2013 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Added thread
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Jroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Did you check out broadway static? It's fortune auto specified for your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
E8SEHHX
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
Why not wait for Ohlins R&T? It is custom build for Z4M and perhaps the only chance to purchase.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761764

Looks like those are going to run over $3k. Not willing to spend that much if I dont intend to track the car much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroc View Post
Did you check out broadway static? It's fortune auto specified for your car.
Just checked them out right now. They are a branch off Fortune Auto. But I dont see it for the M Coupe. I will contact them to get more information. All I know about them from word of mouth is that those are mainly purchased for dumping cars/stance/ hella flush. Looks like they are about the same price as Fortunes. Will look into it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 //M coupe

I ordered a set of FA 500's last week, I will do a full review once I get them on, but for now this may help.

The components of fortunes are manufactured in Taiwan, but they are built in the Richmond. They are also rebuildable in the US, which is a very nice.

I have had a set in my hands as well as riding in a few cars with them. The build quality is far better than any of the others mentioned, minus ohlins. They have huge pistons as well. You can get custom spring rates with no extra charge or upgrade to swift springs for ~$300. I got custom rate but not swifts for now, but I did the radial bearing upgrade, which is a must for any coilover with pillowball top mounts.

again, I will give a full review once I get them on....as for Broadway Static, they don't make an m coupe version yet, but it's in the works. I personally think that the standard FA's will go low enough for 99% of people, meaning the broadways are unnecessary. But we will get back to everyone on that.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 01:49 AM   #9
E8SEHHX
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRedman45 View Post
I ordered a set of FA 500's last week, I will do a full review once I get them on, but for now this may help.

The components of fortunes are manufactured in Taiwan, but they are built in the Richmond. They are also rebuildable in the US, which is a very nice.

I have had a set in my hands as well as riding in a few cars with them. The build quality is far better than any of the others mentioned, minus ohlins. They have huge pistons as well. You can get custom spring rates with no extra charge or upgrade to swift springs for ~$300. I got custom rate but not swifts for now, but I did the radial bearing upgrade, which is a must for any coilover with pillowball top mounts.

again, I will give a full review once I get them on....as for Broadway Static, they don't make an m coupe version yet, but it's in the works. I personally think that the standard FA's will go low enough for 99% of people, meaning the broadways are unnecessary. But we will get back to everyone on that.
Awesome. I will be getting the swift spring upgrade but will need to ask on Monday what they recommend for the coupe as they only have roadster spring rates on there which are 10/10. What custom rate did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep

I went with 9k (503lb/in) front 11k (615lb/in) rear

Most people on here seem to run 500lb/in-550 up front and 600-650 rear, so that's why I decided to do custom. I'm sure the 10k all around would be fine for the street, but I do some autox and light track time.

My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep

I will have these in my hands tomorrow, review shortly after
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
E8SEHHX
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I will have these in my hands tomorrow, review shortly after
Awesome! I get mine in about 2 weeks. Looking forward to your review.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! I get mine in about 2 weeks. Looking forward to your review.
sweet! I have them in my hands now, I am going to try and do the install wednesday night. They are top notch quality parts, they come with the pre-load set perfectly. I have no doubt these will go lower than anyone would ever find necessary haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Looking forward to hearing your review!
      04-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

All these companies shocks are made in china. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just the way it is. Ask them, and if they don't lie to you they'll probably say something like assembled or designed in the US. Or say something like the housing is made in the usa, instead of saying the shock.
      04-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #16
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
All these companies shocks are made in china. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just the way it is. Ask them, and if they don't lie to you they'll probably say something like assembled or designed in the US. Or say something like the housing is made in the usa, instead of saying the shock.
exactly, those brands are great for budgets...fortune is quite a bit different, than those brands. The components are manufactured in taiwan, but each shock is build to order in the US using valving based on the spring rates you choose. And even better, the are rebuildable in the US, which is an issue I have a bit of secondhand experience with from a couple of the cheap asian built coils.

I will get some much better feedback once I get them on. But for now, I can say with certainty Fortune's build quality is on a tier above BC, stance or any other $1k coilover....and better than most $1.5k coils
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #17
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
exactly, those brands are great for budgets...fortune is quite a bit different, than those brands. The components are manufactured in taiwan, but each shock is build to order in the US using valving based on the spring rates you choose. And even better, the are rebuildable in the US, which is an issue I have a bit of secondhand experience with from a couple of the cheap asian built coils.

I will get some much better feedback once I get them on. But for now, I can say with certainty Fortune's build quality is on a tier above BC, stance or any other $1k coilover....and better than most $1.5k coils
By China I also meant Taiwan, really not that much different. Fortunes come from the exact same factory as some of the "other 1k coilovers". They are literally the same thing in a different color.

Being assembled in the US isn't really much of a benefit, and unless you are going WAYY out from the default spring rates, a re valve is not really necessary.
      04-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep

using proper valving may be unnecessary...but still a better practice

I have literally held fortunes and BC's and fortunes next to each other, and they are not the same
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #19
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Revert back with how they drive on the road. a full review will be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #20
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
using proper valving may be unnecessary...but still a better practice

I have literally held fortunes and BC's and fortunes next to each other, and they are not the same
Doesn't really matter to me anyway, I wouldn't use any of those china coilovers.
      01-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #21
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

also, since fortune auto coilovers are built per order, they are dyno tested prior to being shipped out. i don't think any of the cheaper brands do this on an individual order basis.

hand assembled and dyno tested, rebuildable and revalvable 2 hours from where i live, and under $1500. that sold me. They're also now shipping out the 5th gen version of these coilovers, which means that they're upgradeable to a 2-way canister system, and are upgradeable to the air-cup system so that you can temporarily adjust the height of the front shocks to go up ramps and speedbumps without sacrificing ride quality.

i placed my order today and will be getting them in about a month or so. I'll report back when i get them.

i did not upgrade to swift springs, but i went with 10k springs up front, and 12k springs for the rear. I also got the radial bearing mounts.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #22
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 328d M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1nk50ck View Post
also, since fortune auto coilovers are built per order, they are dyno tested prior to being shipped out. i don't think any of the cheaper brands do this on an individual order basis.

hand assembled and dyno tested, rebuildable and revalvable 2 hours from where i live, and under $1500. that sold me. They're also now shipping out the 5th gen version of these coilovers, which means that they're upgradeable to a 2-way canister system, and are upgradeable to the air-cup system so that you can temporarily adjust the height of the front shocks to go up ramps and speedbumps without sacrificing ride quality.

i placed my order today and will be getting them in about a month or so. I'll report back when i get them.

i did not upgrade to swift springs, but i went with 10k springs up front, and 12k springs for the rear. I also got the radial bearing mounts.
I'm excited to hear your review!
Appreciate 0