ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Front Shock Installation Question (non-M)

I installed a set of Koni Yellows but I am unsure of how the base is supposed to settle in on the front shock. Is the little 1/8" "nub" at the bottom of the shock there to act as a stop against the top of the shock mount? OR does it line up with the groove at the back of the shock mount and the shock has a designed stopping point? I used it as the stop against the top of the shock mount, but it seems the front is riding higher than they should. I wish I had a photo to better illustrate this.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Alright, I got an official answer from Koni on this:

The bump on the bottom of the shock body is essentially an alignment tool. The bump should align with spilt in the knuckle, it will not sit in the slit, but is there to insure the shock is aligned correctly into the knuckle when installed.

The shock will then only go so far before stopping in the knuckle.

Torque the pinch bolt to 60#s.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

In case anyone comes back here looking for this info, here are some photos to show what I'm referring to. Hopefully it will help.

Photo of "bump" or "nub" at the bottom of the shock body. This bump lines up with the groove at the back of the bottom mount/knuckle.

Shock set properly in knuckle or bottom mount. I used a little WD40 on the body to help it slide down. Also, wiggle the brake rotor while you raise it up and seat the bottom of the shock. I used a floorjack with a t-shirt on the pad to protect the brake rotor and dust guard. Slowly raise the jack while wiggling the brake rotor and the base of the shock will slide right down.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I use a little spreader tool in the groove/slit on the spindle to open it up just enough to slide the shock in and out. Most VWs are the same design as is the 135i.
Appreciate 0